cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Keef_it_Up
Adept I

6900XT Crashes the driver? HELP

Hello all and thank you in advance for the effort. hopefully we get this resolved without having to ship back to xfx for diagnostics. 
First pc build, had my brother-inlaw to build it for me. Components are as follows:
MOBO - Aorus B550 Elite
CPU - AMD 5600G (was overclocked to 4.5GHz)
RAM - Ballistix 3200 2x8GB (was xmp.1)
GPU - XFX MERC 319 6900XT BLACK (tuned to 200watts)
OS - WINDOWS 10 (21H2)
PSU - Corsair RM650M (650w)
So far i have used ddu to remove all drivers, i fresh installed windows, i reinstalled adrenalin whql and newer, no change. the card ran great since installing in march. did custom clocking to reduce the power usage as to my corsair cx650m psu. the Radeon graphics on the apu are operating normally when i removed the gpu. after reinstalling the gpu i reinstalled the amd adrenalin software and it just keeps crashing, crshes even when i just open adrenalin and try to navigate to any page. screen will flicker with random "pixel blocks" showing up. and the system does a "soft crash" and shows me an amd driver timeout message. PS. Limited to 1.5MB/S download speed so keep the app requests inline with the time to install. (no 30gb apps)

0 Likes
8 Replies
Keef_it_Up
Adept I

i booted my pc up, went for a glass of water, came back and logged in, immediately greeted with a driver timeout message. feel like ive tried most everything

please help.

0 Likes

The minimum required psu is 850W, the new generation cards are not like of old where you could get around using lower wattage psu. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

As noted above, your power supply does not meet the minimum requirement of 850W for use with the 6900 XT.
0 Likes

That PSU is most likely the source of your problem.  I run the same card and at full draw you must also have each pcie cable on a separate 12v rail of sufficient amperage or you will have problems.

0 Likes

Yeah I know that 650 isn't the same as 850 but I had played with it daisychained off my 650w supply for over 2 weeks. I thought it was fine because I barely used 200watts on the card. Could someone please help me understand how it draws 600watts as a whole. 

0 Likes

Why it needs a great PSU is because the power surges often goes up to the 800s.

Not only is the stable wattage what is taken into consideration when putting a min PSU limit, but also how much the surges reaches.

Even an Vega 56 card, if I remember correctly, needed a minimum 800w PSU because of the surges or power jumps.

0 Likes

There were many articles on the new gen, amd & nv cards having milliseconds wattage spikes up to/over 500-600W under some circumstances, probably why amd and partner card makers specify minimum 850W+. 

And using daisy chain pcie cable makes it worse (psu standard rating 150W (8 pin )per individual cable connected to psu), and add 75W max from pcie slot.

The common knowledge is to run two separate pcie cables (from psu to card).

Whatever issues you face running on a 650W psu is your problem.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I just dont understand it as it stands cause my cpu did 70watts peak. Gpu 200 peak. No hdd. One m.2 ssd. No rgb running. Corsair rgb hub disconnected. Two uphere fans and two Corsair LL140mm fans. I noticed a lot of system failures too. Unsure what they're from. Dating back to initial build.

0 Likes