Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Motavar
Adept I
Adept I

Re: 6900xt Constant crashes

My personal solution to my system crashing was moving from my evga 850w psu to my 1000w psu. 

This is on my i9-9900k OC @ 5ghz,  ddr4 ram voltage moved to 1.25v, and my 6900xt at 2450/2550/1060mv, fast timing memory/2150, and wattage at 300w.  Fans 100% starting at 40c. 

I think for anyone having hard system lockups.. I would recommend removing any system overclocks, removing any memory xmp overclocks, fresh driver install, and moving the 6900xt to default settings with power at 250w or less, and fans at 100% to avoid overheats.. and start your stability tests there.  This would confirm your system and your card is okay.

If you're stable and start crashing on basic gpu overclocks then most likely you may want to look into another psu. 

Just my suggestion. 

sanjayleo
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

What is your PSU ?

0 Kudos
jtgolden1s
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi Everyone, just read through this and I am having some similar issues I guess. I too am coming from Nvidia. I purchased a 6900xt and from the beginning started to have crashes leading to reboots. At first I was getting wattman errors. I tried all trouble shooting and eventually upgraded to a EVGA 850 GA PSU and then reinstalled windows. After reinstalling windows I was still having crashes but no more wattman errors from AMD. My issues go like this. In the morning I boot up the PC during the first boot up the system will go black at either the PIN login screen or shortly after windows loads up. I will then get another crash/reboot after I boot into a game for the first time or will get another crash/reboot after getting into the windows the 2nd time. For example, this morning my system rebooted right after windows loaded and then again at the windows PIN screen. After the 3rd reboot I am running fine. Yesterday I took the EVGA PSU back to the store and got a Corsair 850 PSU after hearing about the EVGA GA's having issue. I am not sure what is going on here, its like after my PC warms up and gets a few reboots its okay. Any ideas? I have updated the BIOS to the most recent, turned XMP on and off, turn of SAM, no overclocks at all.

Edit: I am running 3 separate power cables to the GPU.

SPECS

ASUS TUF X570 Plus WIFI

5800X with NZXT AIO cooler

ASROCK 6900XT

M.2 for windows

Corsair 850W RM PSU

G.SKILL NEO 3600

0 Kudos
Chancedbean
Adept I
Adept I

Hi,  

Thanks for posting this. I enabled above 4G coding on my 9900k Z370 motherboard and now my rx 6900 xt runs perfectly. I couldn’t even get past the title screens of Control and Forza Horizon 4 until I did this. I was almost going to send it back!

jtgolden1s
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

0 Kudos
Motavar
Adept I
Adept I

Update:  

Since I put that really old OCZ 1000w PSU in I was stable. 

I went out and purchased a Bquiet Darkpower 1500w psu to replace the older ocz with something newer (and room for larger cards after the 6900xt).  

So far the 1500w has been stable as well.  No bsod, no lockups, been working great. 

If you have an unstable system with a 6900xt I highly suggest you start looking at a PSU above 1000w. 

0 Kudos
Chancedbean
Adept I
Adept I

I had issues like this with the reference 6900xt GPU. I returned it and purchased the Red Devil 6900xt because I read it had better stability due to more VRM’s, which is absolutely true.

Since moving to the Red Devil I’ve had no issues (even in OC mode) what so ever in the exact same PC.

On the reference 6900 reducing the voltage by 5% should help and when I did it I somehow ended up with higher benchmark scores on 3dmark compared to 100% voltage for some reason. 

My power supply is the Corsair RX 1000x. I’m not going to suggest you change GPU or PSU if you have this problem as I think this can be resolved with the amd software or driver update.

Just to add my reference card was hitting a gpu clock of 2480 which might have been the issue why it kept freezing, when I reduced the voltage it was still over 2300 but completely stable. 

Also if your interested, the Red Devil hits over 2500 on the GPU clock in the default OC mode and the memory is over 2000, this is completely stable (again this far exceeds the advertised speed and my coincidently PSU keeps up). So having fully compared a reference 6900 with a 6900 with more VRM’s (on the same PC) it seems to me the reference GPU is the issue and not your ram/ psu/ cpu or motherboard. 

0 Kudos
kalckamlo
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Getting the same on my card. I've been trying to get high frame rates on games at 3840x1600 resolution.

0 Kudos
Motavar
Adept I
Adept I

Kalckamlo,

(still doesn't make sense to me but..)   For 6900xt overclocking what I've noticed is that if you increase the min/max frequency too high the card will underperform.   It may show higher frequency numbers but the performance drops. Seems like maybe Diminishing returns if you push the Min Freq above 2500?  

If you undervolt /  Lower the mV voltage to something between 1050-1100 this would allow more power for the overclocking to happen on the card.  Resulting in higher frames and higher power draw.

For a close to stable OC starting point I would suggest the following:

1000w PSU+ 

Min Freq: 2450

Max Freq:2650

(it will ignore the 2650 and probably reach 2550 but some people said 200mhz over gives better results than 100MHz over the min frequency?    your results may vary) 

Voltage: mv: 1100 (1050-1070 will give good results in 3dmark etc.. but for long gaming stability you may want to look at 1100)

Vram:  Fas Timing, max freq 2150 

Power : all the way up.

My current OC results.. not the best though:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/17390025

0 Kudos
kalckamlo
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hello thanksfor taking time and answering me.

Showbox  jiofi.local.html  tplinklogin

0 Kudos