cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adept I
Adept I

Re: 6900xt Constant crashes

I think some of these issues could be PSU related. My buddy has a 6900 xt and he was running off one 8pin that splits with a multi rail psu so he wasnt getting the full power the card needed. This may help https://youtu.be/PWtKSHT2od8  .

If you have a multi rail psu you may try to switch it to single.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

I think some of these issues could be PSU related. My buddy has a 6900 xt and he was running off one 8pin that splits with a multi rail psu so he wasnt getting the full power the card needed. This may help https://youtu.be/PWtKSHT2od8  .

If you have a multi rail psu you may try to switch it to single.

Adept I
Adept I

Sorry about double post, I don't see a way top delete one. Smiley Sad 

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Update for (my) issue so far:

12 hours stable so far..

bios upgraded and defaulted.  Removed my 2-year old  5ghz/4.8ghz overclock on my i9-9900k and removed xmp profile from memory. 

NOTE:  While you can benchmark/test/burn-in all day long.. some hardware can just behave differently.  So while my OC was okay with nvidia maybe it just doesn't work with this 6900xt.  Which is okay..  we'll work through that and confirm if it was the cpu or the xmp for stability or something else.   There are a lot of online posts that mention radeon issues related to xmp profiles.   Further testing will have to be done as I want to check ram voltage, change out power supply, etc. etc. 

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

I have a 1200w single rail PSU - I believe the issue is power spikes causing an undervoltage condition.

While the cards can bench 300w all day long, I don't think it is possible to play a game on these cards (which would be representative of a dynamic workload) at a 300w configuration due to the power spiking up to 800+ watts.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

If you have a 1200W supply that should be plenty! Unless it's defective I don't think it would cause any stability issues at all. These cards only draw up to 300W'ish stock but, even then, power under load is actually quite low in the 120-150W range as people have reported. These AMD cards are pretty frugal with power.

Always hard to help solve other people's computer problems as there are just so many variables. But as a reference my 6900XT is running perfectly here with no issues (aside from the DisplayPort one). There is a texture/lighting issue in one game but it's either driver related or the game code, and not h/w or firmware.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Unless it's defective! - Bingo

I had a 1300w PSU laying around. Put that in and haven't had a crash playing a game that crashed my 1200w PSU within a minute.

The EVGA 1200W Platinum has a 10 year warranty, so shouldn't have any issue RMA'ing it.

This appears to be the solution for my issue. ... Will report back if the crashing comes back.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Swapped out my evga 850 psu with a really old ocz 1000w and I'm stable again.

Put my 5ghz oc back on, xmp memory back, 6900xt oc clock at 2450/2550, 1150v, memory maxed, and 300w. 

Ran a solid 4 hours gaming tonight but still more tests are needed.  I guess I'll have to move to a 1200w psu+ to run this stable.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Hello.
I maybe have a solution regarding constant crashing.
If you own a VR headset or have more than 1 screen connected then remove the VR and your extra screen so only your primary screen is connected.

I own the 6900xt and pimax 8kx vr headset and my games also crash all the time, BUT when i unplug the Vr headset two usb cables then the games do not crash anymore.

So i think there is some kind of HDMI/usb Vr kind of bug.

I hope this can help you..
ps.. i did not play much vr with the new 6900xt yet but i had 0 crashes in VR... but if i start a non vr game with the vr headset connected the non vr game will crash withing 5-10-60 minutes no matter what.
And its also like when i play a non vr game with the vr headset connected its like i dont get as many fps as when the vr headset is not connected ot he computer..   So something is clearly wrong that a vr headset that is not "on" but in standby/sleep mode effect other things.   I did not have this problem with my 2080rtx nvidia card.

pps.. the computer do not crash/turn off when i do stress test, 3d tests or burn in tests and torture tests of the hardware.. it only happen in non vr games when the pimax 8kx is connected. So its not a heating problem of my system its rock steady if i remove the vr headset.

my specs
windows 10 64bit
32gb ddr4 ram
6900xt
5900x cpu
2xm.2
1x7200hd
1x water cooling ( closed AIO system )
1000w rog power supply
Acording to my calculations the computer max need like 650w so its not a power issue either.

0 Kudos
Challenger
Challenger

hi , would be helping to have some details on your configuration

ram speed , and actual timings

lot of my issues lately where about that ... pc can crash because of aggressive timings and speeds , even if no error detected with memtest, happened me so often that now it's the first thing I change whatever windows bsod message says (i don't even try to go above 3200 with my sticks, even if they are 4400 lol)

0 Kudos