cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

throwaway1234567
Journeyman III

6900xt Constant crashes

Having problems with my 6900xt, i get constant crashes in every game - the only way to fix this so far has been to set max frequency and voltage to 80%, but this isnt ideal

removed old nvidia drivers with DDU and installed new radeon drivers, any other benchmark other than furmark crashes and most games crash on menu load - except from CSGO

What i've tried

- Double checked 8 pin power cables arent splitting off of 1 cable

- Reinstalling windows, Same problem

- Reinstalling drivers

i assumed this was a problem with power draw somehow (Even though i have a 1000w PSU) so i ran furmark at 1080p and my power draw hit 300W, no crashes

Not really sure what else to try, sent a support request to AMD but probably wont hear back for a few weeks

57 Replies
Spladian
Adept I

Re: 6900xt Constant crashes

Getting the same on my card.  I've been trying to get high frame rates on games at 3840x1600 resolution. This is the card to do it, but the current drivers, or Radeon Software appear to be unstable.

Will install the driver only and report back to see if it is the driver, or the radeon software.

Spladian
Adept I

I think there is an issue with the initial driver for the 6900XT. Games are crashing with only the Driver installed and no radeon 'control panel.'

If you use the Microsoft Basic display adapter and then check HWINFO all the way at the bottom, it was showing zero errors for me. As soon as I load the INF driver only (no radeon software/wattman etc.) I start getting WHEA errors.

PCIE errors.png

0 Likes
Kubicide
Adept II

WHEA Errors could also be drivers, CPU, other hardware devices on your mainboard, and/or Windows itself. I suddenly experienced BSOD with the WHEA message - started literally out of the blue one day and would crash every 1-2 hours. Drove me nuts tracking down the issue. Turned out to be bad NIC and BT drivers installed by Windows shortly after a Tuesday update! This was back in the Summer on the May 2004 build.

FYI I have a 6900XT running just fine on an X570 system w/ 3900 CPU and Windows 2020H2. Works great; fast and stable. And was not a fresh install but one that's been hammered with changes since the summer.

0 Likes
Kubicide
Adept II

Should add I'm also running the 2020.12.2 drivers.

0 Likes
Spladian
Adept I

I have yet to try a fresh install.  Although I've DDU'd drivers/ AMD clean-up utility/ and Microsoft uninstall tool many times now.

The card has worked for hours and hours, only in some spots in a few games does it consistently crash.  Being new to AMD, I'm not accustomed to this behavior. I do know another person reached out to me on discord and we have been bouncing ideas off of each other trying to solve the issue, though. 

Weird issue though, If i hard boot, WHEA errors go away. If I restart, they come back. With, or without Radeon Software.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

You might try disabling hibernation/fast startup. It can get cached data corruption and re introduce it every time you startup. The WHEA errors are becoming pretty prevalent and likely will take a bios fix to remedy, but IMHO fast startup is an unneeded feature and usually on makes things worse not better. AMD for some reason seems to be affected by it worse than the competition. Regardless this is a normal first step when helping AMD users to get more stable with their GPU. To stop the cached data from re-introducing bits of older drivers.....

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

0 Likes
St1n
Journeyman III

I'm also coming from Nvidia. I didn't have any issues with crashing in quite some time with their cards/drivers. I recently picked up a 6900XT, and also used DDU and installed the latest set of drivers. 

I run at 4k 120Hz (LG CX), and CoD Warzone keeps crashing on me. It's pretty intermittent, and usually seems to come about after about an hour or two of playing. It hard crashes the PC (completely locks up).

I just updated my BIOS (X570) as MSI just released the new AMD chipset update. 

I'll try disabling fast boot on Windows and see if that makes a difference. If not, I think I'll try the "Undervolt GPU" option in Adrenaline. My PSU is an EVGA Supernova P2 850W (Platinum). I'm not running a crazy OC on my 3700X, but I do have AMD PB Overdrive enabled in the BIOS. 

I know it's not uncommon for new GPUs to experience stability issues, but after defending/ignoring the comments about AMD drivers still being "trash", I'm starting to feel like a fool. Lol

0 Likes
Spladian
Adept I

I'm pretty sure it's the drivers at this point - I was getting 1 WHEA error every 2 seconds in HWINFO 64 (scroll all the way to the bottom to see it.) As soon as I uninstalled the Driver to go back to the Basic Microsoft Display Adapter - the WHEA errors Stopped. 

0 Likes
Kubicide
Adept II

Well, it's not the drivers (20.12.2) alone as I'm having zero problems. So it's something with the configuration of your machine(s).

There's another BIOS setting unique to the 6000 series which is the "Above 4G Decoding" related to SAM. Make sure that's enabled even if you do not have a 5000 series CPU.

I suspect the WHEA is from another driver conflict somewhere that's been surfaced now with the new GPU. Also assume you've updated the chipset drivers correct? Go to AMDs site to d/l and don't use the default Win10 drivers.