cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

shrewdrew
Adept I

6900XT Black Screen then PA-300 - uninstall driver, then reinstall vicious cycle

Hello,

Sorry to ask, but I am getting stumped by this problem. I have a pretty basic setup, which WAS functioning properly until last week. I was playing a very old game, Left For Dead 2, and I got a black screen, followed by numerous Windows 11 device unplugged auditory notifications. The computer was still running as was the game, but the video output was gone. I forced a reset only to find that I couldn't launch the AMD Adrenalin Drivers, and was greeted with the PA-300 error. My 2nd monitor would also not display. 

I uninstalled with DDU and then reinstalled the latest Adrenalin drivers. This seemed to work, but only for 1 hour. I repeated this process quite a few times, 20 or so. I found a youtube video suggesting to turn off a part of Windows Update that automatically fetched drivers. This didn't seem to work, so I found another suggestion saying to use gpedit.msc to change the group policy for the hardware IDs of the graphics card. I performed this task moments ago, but I am prepared for the worst.

Is there a defacto fix for this issue? I do not believe anything is wrong with this card, and think it's some sort of compatibility issue with Windows 11 Home & the AMD software where it overwrites the drivers in favor of some generic ones whilst the computer is on. Can't figure out why this just started happening now though. Any help is greatly appreciated, and sorry for the word salad.

Thanks, 

PC Specs

AMD 5800 - default vanilla settings 

32 GB RAM

2 500 GB SSD 

AMD 6900 XT - default vanilla settings besides zero fan RPM disabled and increased fan RPM at all temperatures 

1000 W Power Supply 

Creative Recon 3d F4t4l1ty Professional - Using old Windows 10 drivers (do not think this is problematic, but?) 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Try the regedit 'Option Two' in the Tut.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-include-drivers-with-windows-updates-in-windows-11.2...

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

8 Replies
shrewdrew
Adept I

Okay,

It happened again despite the changes made to the Windows group policy. I am losing my mind. I am now  installing Adrenalin 22.5.1 vs 22.5.1. I am not sure I understand how this system can work for months without problems and then all of a sudden have these crippling issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes

Try the regedit 'Option Two' in the Tut.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-include-drivers-with-windows-updates-in-windows-11.2...

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I am going to try this, fingers crossed.

0 Likes

3 hours in, and it hasn't crashed yet. Hopefully this worked, but again why wouldn't all the other attempts to stop updates to the driver not work? 

0 Likes

Problem is Home edition may need other Update setting changed, and the Tut. i linked also mentions the gpedit fix doesn't work on Home editions.

Have a read through some of the other Tuts. related to windows update from the site.

You may even need to use one of the 3rd party apps some mention if the regedit option fails. 

This appears to have worked. However I feel like this should be patched either by Microsoft or AMD themselves. As now my computer will not receive automatic driver updates, which is usually pretty convenient. Anyway to contact AMD regarding this matter? 

0 Likes

You have a new pc with driver support from component makers, best to use drivers supplied from them direct. MS mention (in their Docs.) that driver updates may not always be the most current.

You could upgrade to Pro edition, configure updates (most?) to your preferences.

e.g. disable specific driver update. 

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

I had tons of issues with my AIB 6900 xt until I put the pcie connectors on their own 12v rails without anything else power sharing with them.  At that time I was running an enermax platimax 1350w ps which had horrible power distribution across the 12v rails requiring me to study the power distribution chart to rearrange everything to isolate the pcie connectors to get it running without crashing under load.

I finally ended up buying a 1300w evga supernova G2 which isolates the 12v rails for the pcie connectors and I haven't have it happen again.

I would measure your PS output because they lose capacity with age and heat as in the heat goes up while running and the power output goes down.

0 Likes