Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

xlox
Forerunner

6800 xt loosing fps until windows 10 total reinstallation

Hi,

i'm facing a weird problem , don't know if it's a drivers related problem or windows problem:

first time I installed my 6800xt replacing my radeon VII,  I didn't notice it but as I tried to play cyberpunk 2077 i faced a performance issue ... not getting more than 20/25 fps whatever setting or resolution i set in game ...

I could "solve" this by completely reinstall windows , as only reinstall driver didn't solve it (even with DDU and reset to manufaturer defaults etc) ...

but the fact is the problem reappear after some days:
i could play fluently cyberpunk with 60fps 4k ultra and variable fidelity cas (max 100 and min 80) for days , but one day adrenalin application wouldn't launch anymore, so I had to reinstall it and then the performance problem reappeared
again , not getting more than 20/25 fps in cyberpunk with low gpu usage etc

so I reinstalled windows on an external drive and the problem disappeared again ... but now i know it won't hold for long ...

the 6800xt has good fps in every game for now , so it wasn't really noticeable except in cyberpunk ... but in fact i think i loose 10/15fps in every game when the problem appears ...

moreover , in time spy extrem I normally get a score of 9160 when everything is ok , but then with the problem appearing I can't get above 8700 whatever i do ...

did someone notice that too ?

(fyi , this scores are on oc 2650 mhz + 2100 ram and 1030 uv , without oc they are proportionately weaker , so nothing about the oc... the card is watercooled not getting more than 70° on tjunction and everything perfectly stable , never experienced any crash )

0 Likes
12 Replies
delevero
Adept III

if you have a vr headset connected to your pc then try to remove that ( hdmi and usb cables ).  If you have more than one screen distonnect screen 2.

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

hi  , no vr connected , but yeah 3 screen display for work ...i've already tried to disconnect the usb display not changing anything

and didn't try to disconnect the second dp screen because everything was ok with it for days ... but i will try and see if i get my fps back :)

I have finished cyberpunk and won't play it again, so for now i go with that degraded performance as i still have 60 fps in 4k ultra all other games and hope next drivers will correct all little bugs that i'm experiencing now (last windows 20h2 updates seemed to help for stability too , so some problem are not about amd driver)

EDIT : i just tested by disconnecting all screens except main screen, and then windows restart, and time spy extreme benchmark,  but no improvement still getting less fps than expected

0 Likes

I have the same problem !!!! after few days fps drop to 50% also benchmarks , only reinstall windows or go back to early build bring back performance . but not for long . I have try every thing i know nothing helps but reinstalling windows  

0 Likes

looks like most 6800 owner have same problems. sigh..AMD ..come on..stop focus on business only. 

0 Likes

@smilelylifeday  not every problem is related to amd , that's the easy thinking because easy to complain here and never search by ourselves , but lots of problems are about people not understanding what they are doing most of the time ... everybody wants to overclock , but in the same time not understanding readings in bios or drivers , thinking setting can be applyed the same from one computer to another etc etc .., so much rma of perfectly working hardware just because of ignorance... what a waste

and in this thread, i'm speaking about a probleme that could even easely be related to windows version , just trying to see if people have the same probleme , if you look at forums about it you will see that nvidia users have the same problem ...so ...

.... and because beside of this i have a 2004 windows on a second hard drive , and I get 7 to 10% fps more , i just made a timespy extreme to compare, i think i will have to reinstall windows from 20H2 to 2004

0 Likes
des06
Journeyman III

Same problem here, with 6900xt.

Always running at 60FPS (aprox), on ultra or min quality settings.

0 Likes

are you sure you don't have vsync activated ? 60fps on ultra seem no probleme , and if 60 fps on low , it means it's locked to 60 fps (vsync)

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

- wrong solution post - still searching , still on 20H2 culprit

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

ok after lot of tests install/uninstall I think the cause of the problem is in windows update KB4598242
when uninstalling this one I get the fps back

got to confirm that by one or two tests , but I think it's it

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

after a lot of further tests ... now only thing I can say is there is a mess lol

as soon as I uninstall KB4598242 AND/OR KB4586876 AND virtualbox i allways get my fps back

but with a combination of these 3 things I loose 10 fps ...

in fact i tested on another windows installation and after uninstalling the 3 maybe I can reinstall only virtualbox and it stays ok

but if i just uninstall windows updates it's not enough to resolve the problem , virtualbox has to be uninstalled too ...

so now at least I can solve the fps ptoblem without reinstalling windows completely  and I know that there is something wrong with one or more of these 3 things that messes witth drivers

will see tomorrow if something else can be found more precisly about it

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

just upgraded again to 20h2 , uninstalled again this two updates (that are reinstalled automatically even if hidden with microsoft hide update tool to disable some updates) and virtualbox not installed,  and fps are ok too with 20H2

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

and going further with my "investigations", i just wanted to install twitter app from microsoft store

after twitter app installed , fps again not ok

reboot, fps not ok

uninstall twitter app , fps not ok

reboot , fps ok

... wow, definitely windows related , but i won't try to understand further i think or i gonna get mad lol ... let's just hope amd can sort that with microsoft

0 Likes