cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

6800 XT High Vram Clock always

Pretty sure I'm not the only one having this problem.

37W power usage at idle. when using 2 or more monitors.or high refresh rate.

thanks, and pushing us to Nvidia

0 Kudos
20 Replies

Re: 6800 XT High Vram Clock always

Same here on 6800. Video playback with 31Watt and 2000mhz when on nvidia there is max 700mhz (400 typicaly)

0 Kudos
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

this is NORMAL behaviour when your Monitors dont use "LCD Standard" or "LCD native"! (will be same for Nvidia cards aswell)

if they use "LCD reduced" or even lower custom settings your VRAM is forced to a higher powerstate!

depening on how your Monitors are set by factory it MAYBE reduces clocks when you lower both screens to 60Hz - as this will have a different powerstate for VRAM.

you can try to "fix" the non-existing issue with OC on your Monitor:
1. use CRU to bring your "Blanking" (and maybe even "Front porch") near or up to "LCD Standard" settings
2. this will raise your Pixelclock and therefore mess with FreeSync; it maybe will be even unsupported by your Panel with resulting in a black screen or artifacts

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

About "NORMAL behavior" yeah I know But my display compatible with AMD FreeSync Premium. But N cards just work fine.

reduced screen to 60 hz --- works but I guess that's not the solution when you purchase an RX 6000's GPU and FreeSync monitors.

0 Kudos
Challenger
Challenger

2000 vram usage and 37W are not related i think, my vram usage is usually 2000mhz too

nothing alarming about 2000mhz

you can go to nvidia , see if problems are the same or if you find other bugs, i come from nvidia (1080ti) , had lot of little bugs too, nothing magical here (for example my card wouldn't get above some frequencies in games when multiple display etc etc i can do a list of problems i had if you need, just check nvidia forums you see people like you lol)

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

hey . topics talking about VRAM CLOCK running at max speed all the time . Not the  vram usage Smiley Happy

btw I came from 1080 too

0 Kudos
Challenger
Challenger

@smilelylifeday...yeah i was talking about vram clock showing 2000mhz usage, sorry for not being explicit enough ...

0 Kudos
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

@smilelylifeday 

it is simply a standard - if your Monitor doesnt use "LCD standard" or "LCD native" your GPU will need a higher VRAM powerstate to avoid errors

like my RX 580 (and all GPUs since i own my AOC G2460PF) also runs at "3D load" VRAM powerstate all the time (aka 1750MHz or 2000MHz) - because my AOC G2460PF uses lower settings than even "LCD reduced" - this forces my GPU to use higher VRAM powerstate for stability

btw - this also happens with most Nvidia GPUs

you can "fix" this with CRU - but that would OC your Monitor (and i dont recommend that)

ps 2000MHz is still stock - and as there is not much load they wont use much power and wont generate heat...

Grandmaster
Grandmaster

btw - if you have 2x the same monitor it sometimes even work if both are "LCD reduce" - its some kind of math behind it, but i am to lazy to calculate that

my G2460PF and G2460VQ6 always ramp VRAM clocks to highest powerstate - with every GPU out there - as it HAS to be Smiley Wink

0 Kudos

Not normal for me. On previous gpu it wasn't normal to ramp up vram to max, it was idling on 400-700 depending on how heavy video I have thrown at it (700 while 2k 60fps quality youtube video) and it wasn't  working as bread warmer with 60+ temperature just because it was playing 720p video. So please, don't make bug a feature.

Check my thread with more details Re: RX6800 overheating while watching media on pas... - AMD Community

0 Kudos