cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

60fps YouTube videos with AVC codecs max out GPU clocks

60fps YouTube videos (especially 1080p ones) with AVC codecs push both Core and Memory Clocks to their maximum values (unnecessarily driving GPU temps up to 65 and even 70 degrees C) when Hardware Acceleration is enabled. 1080p 60fps videos with VP9 codecs on the other hand, seem to work fine (~55 degrees C).

The problem persists regardless of browser (I've tried Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Opera).

I've been having this issue for years now. I don't recall a driver version that had this fixed.

Video games work fine.

1080p 60fps video with AVC codecs for example: Crysis 3 Gameplay HD 1080p 60fps SOURCE H.264 -test - YouTube 

GPU: Sapphire r9-290 Tri-X

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit

Current driver version: 19.9.2

Monitor: Dell U2414H

Resolution: 1920x1080 @60hz

MOBO: GA-H97-HD3

BIOS version: "F5"

CPU: i5-4590

PSU: Seasonic M12II 620w

RAM: 8gb DDR3 1600mhz

5 Replies

Have you tried a more recent driver? 19.10.1 is out. If that doesn't work return to a driver that did work properly and make sure to report your current experience to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Note that unless a new driver says it fixes something that is broken like a game you want to play or is needed for a Windows update or upgrade there is never any reason to replace a driver that is working properly. You always run the risk of it breaking something that worked. Just make sure to report those bugs you find to AMD.

pokester wrote:

Have you tried a more recent driver? 19.10.1 is out.

My problem isn't listed in 19.10.1's "Fixed Issues" or even in the "Known Issues" lists. Besides, 19.9.2 was released less than a month ago and is currently the recommended driver on the site.

Updating to 19.10.1 won't fix this issue.

return to a driver that did work properly

I've been having this issue for years and I don't recall a driver version that ever had this fixed.

report your current experience to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

I reported my issue twice through AMD Issue Reporting Form (once in March and another just a few days ago) and haven't heard anything back from them. I'll try reporting my issue through the link you sent me and see what happens, though.

I  suggest the OP may have deeper problems, video on YouTube work fine on my box

all the games I own also work fine

0 Likes

hardcoregames™ wrote:

I  suggest the OP may have deeper problems, video on YouTube work fine on my box

Do you have an r9-290 as well? Is Hardware Acceleration enabled in your browser?

all the games I own also work fine

Same here.

My only issue is with AVC YouTube videos. Especially 1080p 60fps ones.

0 Likes

I use the Chrome browser which seems to be the most stable

0 Likes