cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hollowkernel
Journeyman III

5700XT OpenCL Performance is Sluggish on Ubuntu 18.04

On Ubuntu 18.10.3 with amdgpu driver and kernel 5.3.18, OpenCL performance is 10% of what it is on Windows.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone know the best way to setup 5700XT for compute on Linux?

0 Likes
1 Reply
hollowkernel
Journeyman III

I reached out to the Radeon Linux driver maintainers and they indicated that this patch improves Radeon RX 5700XT performance: 46203a508f64b4bfa150a9d25eab1dc891e7e650

This change only appears in 5.5 kernels. I can confirm that kernel 5.5rc7 (latest on https://kernel.ubuntu.com/ at time of writing) can improve OpenCL performance by more than 10x.

Ubuntu 18.04.3 doesn't include kernel 5.5 yet, so to get this improvement, you'll need to install it yourself. Go to the Ubuntu kernel page, choose the 5.5 kernel version you want, find your architecture, choose low-latency or generic, and download linux-headers-..._all.deb, linux-headers-..._<arch>.deb, linux-image-..._<arch>.deb, linux-modules-..._<arch>.deb

Run:

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-..._all.deb sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-..._<arch>.deb sudo dpkg -i linux-image-..._<arch>.deb sudo dpkg -i linux-modules-..._<arch>.deb

Reboot to use the new kernel.

0 Likes