cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

PTurnquist
Journeyman III

5700xt not allowing 165 hz

I just upgraded to a 5700xt from a 1070 that I got for free and was used for mining. I was previously able to get 165 hz with the 1070 easily but I wasn't able to get 165 hz after the switch. In adrenalin it says "the custom resolution settings are not compatible with this display." I thought it had to be my psu because it was only 550w and amd says to use 600-700w. After installing a new 750w psu, same problems persist. I have a feeling it is my display port cable. However, my monitor only allows hdmi to go into it and I can only seem to find dp 1.4 to dp 1.4 and no hdmi 2.0 to dp 1.4.

Specs

Ryzen 5600x, Radeon 5700xt, 750w psu.

Current display port cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z05JMKO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Current monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088MKB54B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 Likes
1 Solution
DimkaTsv_alt
Adept II

DP and HDMI are different standarts. Issues in convertation are to be expected. 
Also 5700XT should have DP connector, isn't it? 
Tbf, you just got some shady cable without HDMI out specification being listed. For your needs you must have at least HDMI... 2.0? And cable you bought is told to only support 2k and 4k at 30 fps (technically can run 4k, you know). Which means this is at MAX 1.4b cable (4k*30 = 1080p*120... Also it can BARELY support 1080p*144 with YCbCr 4:2:0 color). Also looks like converter chip there is quite cheap and cause people troubles.
It seems there are DP to HDMI 2.0+ cables in existence, but yours isn't looking like one of such. 

Here is one bit less shady than yours, but still shady for me, as it specifies 8k30 at least (meaning either HDMI 2.0 with YCbCr 4:2:0 or HDMI 2.1)
And no... There is no way to get HDMI to DP cable, only DP to HDMI with passive or active converter. And convertation will also mean you will lose some features. Likely something like Freesync. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

What custom resolution?

Right-click on Windows desktop - Display settings - set resolution to 1920x1080 and scaling setting to 100%. Then Advanced display settings and choose 165Hz Refresh rate.

You are not supposed to set any custom resolutions or other overrider from Radeon settings. Though your monitor has to be overclocked to 165Hz which is a setting inside monitors own menu. 

Have you checked what ever cable you use is DP1.4 and are you using some adapter as those can always cause issues. Perhaps it helps if you disable freesync from monitor and GPU, but... If your monitor really doesn't support display port (are you sure?) how about getting a HDMI cable then... 

I was trying to just do 1920x1080 165 hz

0 Likes

The cable i linked is all i use no additional adapters

0 Likes

At the Amazon link you posted under Questions and Answers one person states that is it isn't compatible with 165Hz output from the adapter:Screenshot 2022-11-15 074914.png

From my experience just about all Video Converters doesn't support high Frequencies output unless it is stated to support higher frequencies.

Found this DP-HDMI that does have 165hz on 2k Monitors from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Answin-UniDirectional-Compatible-More-6ft/dp/B096FY58WD?th=1

Screenshot 2022-11-15 074914.png

DimkaTsv_alt
Adept II

DP and HDMI are different standarts. Issues in convertation are to be expected. 
Also 5700XT should have DP connector, isn't it? 
Tbf, you just got some shady cable without HDMI out specification being listed. For your needs you must have at least HDMI... 2.0? And cable you bought is told to only support 2k and 4k at 30 fps (technically can run 4k, you know). Which means this is at MAX 1.4b cable (4k*30 = 1080p*120... Also it can BARELY support 1080p*144 with YCbCr 4:2:0 color). Also looks like converter chip there is quite cheap and cause people troubles.
It seems there are DP to HDMI 2.0+ cables in existence, but yours isn't looking like one of such. 

Here is one bit less shady than yours, but still shady for me, as it specifies 8k30 at least (meaning either HDMI 2.0 with YCbCr 4:2:0 or HDMI 2.1)
And no... There is no way to get HDMI to DP cable, only DP to HDMI with passive or active converter. And convertation will also mean you will lose some features. Likely something like Freesync. 

What I’m confused about is how my weaker 1070 was able to produce 165 hz whereas my 5700xt can’t. Is this because of its higher power usage and for it to produce its full performance I need a better cable?

0 Likes

No. It is the cable. The cable you are using does not support more than 1080p 144hz. You can grab an HDMI 2.0 cable and it will allow for 1080p up to 240hz. Your problem is the cable you are using.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

The cable I have definitely does support 165hz, just only with my 1070. I'm still confused on how this is happening.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You are best off getting a regular old HDMI 2.0 cable. Like everyone already said, the cable you have is not up to the task of pumping out more than 144hz. I am actually surprised this monitor, at its going price, does not have display port support. To get rid of the tearing I suggest getting a HDMI 2.0 cable and using v-sync in your games. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes