Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

conz
Adept I

5700XT - Dragon Age Inquisition - Keep Crashing

Hello,

I need help, I just build new pc gaming and with spec as follows:  Dragon Age Inquisition

Motherboard - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3700X

GPU - PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel (Samsung B-DIe)

PSU - ADATA Core Reactor 650W

Monitor - ACER KG251QD Freesync Monitor 240Hz

Windows 10 PRO

GPU driver Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2

I played Dragon Age Inquisition with ultra & tried high setting , the game keep crashing during battle when I as a mage cast huge spells like area effect blizzard. Need help on this how to fix?

Game that I played that has no crash so far:

Dota2, CS Go, Divinity Original Sin 2

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

I just tested Dragon Age Inquisition at 4K Ultra, 1080p Ultra, 1080p Ultra and Textures set to Fade Touch, and 1080p low. 
No crashing at all.
Fans set to 100% and GPU Power level set to +50%
I ran with VSync off to allow the GPU to run at max FPS and power level and utilization.

OS = Windows 10 Pro 64bit 2004 with latest patches as of yesterday.
CPU = Ryzen 2700X on Corsair H100i V2 AIO Cooler at constant 4.3GHz. 
MB  =  Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wifi). 
MB Bios =  Version 3003.
RAM = 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro running at 3200MHz. 
GPU = PowerColor RX5700XT Red Dragon.
GPU Driver = Adrenalin 2020 20.11.2
HDD = Samsung QVO 1TB.
PSU = Corsair AX 1600i.
Monitor = BenQ 4K 60Hz.

Videos uploading now. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
conz
Adept I

I forgot to mention, I haven't done any overclocking yet so far.

0 Likes
RPX100
Miniboss

The only thing that I can point to is your 240 Hz refresh rate

and a reminder that you need a DisplayPort version 1.4 certified cable to run at 240 Hz.

https://www.cablematters.com/blog/DisplayPort/does-displayport-1-4-support-240hz

Try to set the monitor to a lower refresh rate (or limit FPS) to see if that changes anything.

discussion about the refresh rate issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/jyyhm4/determining_the_issues_on_my_rx_5700_xt_or_how_i/

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

Hi RPX100,

Noted on the DP v1.4

I tried with other Monitor BENQ VA Panel, 60Hz monitor. I also experienced the same issue.

0 Likes

Ah, you tried with a 60 Hz monitor. Good. Thanks for testing this!

I was wondering if that would change anything. At least now we know that this does not seem to matter here.

Just in case: Did you make sure your FPS was also capped to 60 Hz? (Vsync on or FPS cap set to 60)

Other ideas and things to consider:

1) Your GPU does come with a factory overclock (OC)

- You could try to lower GPU core clock and Memory (VRAM) clocks by 50 MHz (for testing).

- maybe this will result in more stability - easy enough to try it out

2) You are using the optional driver Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2

I am not sure why, but AMD is still recommending driver Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1 right now.

20.9.1 is from end of september and is still the recommended driver for 5700 XT as of right now.

So you could try to deinstall your current driver and reinstall the older 20.9.1

-

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

I just tested Dragon Age Inquisition at 4K Ultra, 1080p Ultra, 1080p Ultra and Textures set to Fade Touch, and 1080p low. 
No crashing at all.
I ran with VSync off to allow the GPU to run at max FPS and power level and utilization.

MB Bios =  Version 3003.
HDD = Samsung QVO 1TB.
PSU = Corsair AX 1600i.
Monitor = BenQ 4K 60Hz.

Videos uploading now. 

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

@colesdav wrote:

No crashing at all.

MB Bios =  Version 3003.
HDD = Samsung QVO 1TB.
PSU = Corsair AX 1600i.
Monitor = BenQ 4K 60Hz.

Videos uploading now. 

Could be the difference in Refresh Rate then causing a problem with the OP. Regardless more proof that it isn't a game issue in the driver and more a problem with Navi and certain monitor setups. Something that has been reported a lot with Navi. 

0 Likes

1080p low is running up to 200FPS. 
Perhaps the OP is has turned on "enhanced sync"?
That normally crashes my AMD GPUs, despite the marketing ... and Enhanced Sync is still broken according to 2020 20.11.3 driver release notes. 

I did not run the game tests as a "Mage" and not got access to the "special power" he uses.  
I will see if I can get there. 

Cheers. 

0 Likes

Hard to say but worth trying a setting change at a time to see if any change helps. 

0 Likes

Thanks guys for the comprehensive answers, especially testing it and uploading to youtube @colesdav . After playing around with the settings with radeon adrenalin software, graphic and display setting, but didn't solve it. Just now, I accidently found out when googling about Kingdom Come Deliverance and found out that the crash was caused by cassandra lunge and slash ability. I then disable it and i never experience crash anymore during battle.

But becase of this, I learned about manual fan curve (now I tweaked a bit higher fan curve) and during 99% load my gpu junction dropped from 98* to 84*, undervolting (thanks @RPX100 ), ehnanced sync error (thanks @colesdav ), different refresh rate become problem (thanks @pokester ).

Glad it is now working for you. 

RE: cassandra lunge and slash ability. 
I will see if using that that causes my PC to crash and will let you know.  
I am now on Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3.

Bye.

@colesdavit will be great if you could also confirm the lounge and slash crash.

Btw do you use default fan curve or do you have your own fan curve? If you make your own, could you share it to me?

0 Likes

I was testing the RX5700XT Red Dragon I have at the moment with the Fan set to maximum RPM all of the time. 
So the fan curve is a rectangle...
I set the Power Limit to +50% to get max performance out of the GPU.

It sounds like a hoover is on next to my ears, so I wear headphones to run the game. 
It is one of the loudest GPUs I have owned apart from PowerColor Red Dragon V56 or Gigabyte RX590s. 
Most AMD GPU Users must be deaf...

If you watched the 4K Ultra Video, the GPU Hotspot Temperature is very close to "shutdown". 

I am unable to post photos on this forum. 
I have hit my "limit" apparently, and I am not deleting old pictures. 

Hope that helps you though... 

0 Likes

@conz wrote:

Thanks guys for the comprehensive answers, especially testing it and uploading to youtube @colesdav . After playing around with the settings with radeon adrenalin software, graphic and display setting, but didn't solve it. Just now, I accidently found out when googling about Kingdom Come Deliverance and found out that the crash was caused by cassandra lunge and slash ability. I then disable it and i never experience crash anymore during battle.

But becase of this, I learned about manual fan curve (now I tweaked a bit higher fan curve) and during 99% load my gpu junction dropped from 98* to 84*, undervolting (thanks @RPX100 ), ehnanced sync error (thanks @colesdav ), different refresh rate become problem (thanks @pokester ).

You are very welcome. @colesdav is one of the best tech savy guys I have met. Helps us out all the time. 

Hope you enjoy your game. I played all 3 games and all the expansions of each. Loved them all. 

Playing older games continues to be more popular than ever and these games should work.

With Navi based games there are just a lot of complaints with older games since launch. Some have been fixed many not. These same drivers work fine in those games on GCN based cards. I wish I had a solution but so far no. 

Everyone with this issue needs to keep reporting the problems to AMD as doing so here does not do that. 

Use the bug report tool in Radeon Settings or you can open a support ticket with AMD too: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

0 Likes