cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

5700XT crashing every game and black screen

I recently changed my monitor. Since this new one is QHD and supports FreeSync ,i thought is the case to upgrade also my video card since my old GTX 1080 had some issues with this resolution. So, i though, why not, let's try AMD. My first product from AMD in the last 12-13 years or so. SO i bought a Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming OC. Well, after i read some things on the internet, i realized that the graphic card is ok, the driver is garbage. I get crashes in every single game, from League of Legends to Red Dead Redemption 2. From my experience, the games that doesn't need so much video power, runs like 10 minutes or so with pretty poor performance than crash. The games that are more demanding crash in the first 2-3 minutes.I tried every single version of the driver. Clean windows install. Used DDU. Change the settings in the driver and do every thing i read on the internet that may cause the issue. I checked also my PSU. Everything is fine with my computer. I paid a decent amount of money on a product that i can't use. I saw in you driver release notes that the new version improve the performance in some games. Pointless, i don't care if i get some extra FPS in the game if the game crash after 10 minutes. Than, there's the other thing with the black screen. There's no other way than restart the PC in order to fix that and hope you wouldn't get another black screen in the next hour or so. Another issue is that the in some games, after a few minutes of playing the FPS drops like hell. For eg, in ETS 2 from 120 to 50-55 in just a few minutes. The temps seems normal.

My PC configuration

Asus Z390-f

Intel i5 9600k

32 GB DDR4 HyperX fury black 3200Mhz

Gigabite Radeon RX 5700xt Gaming OC

and 1 HDD + 3 SSD but i din't this is not important.

Latest windows version also.

I think you should focus on the crashing and black screen issue first and then on some other issues. Since it's more important for not to at least let use use the GPU without crashing.

Please fix this thing ASAP or you will lose tons of customer. It's my first product from AMD in years and i already thought to change it. I prefer to pay more for a product that works properly than less on a product that have tons of issues.

1 Solution

Ok. Guess what happened guys:). 3 days ago i got a bluescreen out of nowhere. After that the pc just refused to boot into windows. It was a pretty damn complex job to fix it, but in the process of doing it i updated my bios to the latest version and i installed windows again. It seems that one of my ssd's just died. So after i installed windows i ias thinking to install the latest amd driver..and guess what..2 days with 0 crashes or black screen. I take that as a massive win. Hope it will be ok

View solution in original post

111 Replies

I reorganized the cables and put the GPU out and in of the PCIe Slot, moved all RAMs in and out and reset BIOS. I reinstalled amd driver and reseted the Wattman.

My Results of Userbenchmark:

UserBenchmarks: Game 89%, Desk 72%, Work 43%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 60.7%
GPU: AMD RX 5700-XT - 101.7%
SSD: Crucial M550 128GB - 89.3%
SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB - 100.1%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 80.1%
RAM: Kingston KHX1866C10D3/8G KHX1600C10D3/8G KHX1866C10D3/8G KHX1600C10D3/8G 32GB - 54.2%
MBD: Asrock H87 Pro4

0 Likes

Ok, i finally found the option to link you to the benchmark results instead of posting them here:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27282822 

As you can see, everything is just fine - i guess? haha

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

0 Likes

GPUs running below expectations, but that's not necessarily an issue. IT looks fine.

Next thing to do is make sure your system isn't overheating. Run prime95 and check for temperature issues.

0 Likes
loverdose
Journeyman III

Hi all, i had the same problems as you all in the last week, but now seems to be solved doing these things:

- Hard Reset Windows 10

- Installed Driver 20.4.2 of Adrenaline 2020

- Disabled HW accelleration of windows and all other sources (twitch app, Browser ecc..)

- Disable Windows fast startup :

Open settings on your Windows 10 PC. 

Under the System Window, click on ‘Power & Sleep’ .
Click on ‘Additional Power Settings’.
Click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’, you will see a checkbox under the shutdown settings with text as ‘Turn on Fast Startup (recommended).
Check this to turn it off.
Restart PC.

Hope you ll resolve with these tips! Good luck guys!

0 Likes
stroebi
Journeyman III

I got once more a crash + reboot, here is my dump file. Maybe you can ready anything out of it.

0 Likes

Windbg: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: ffffae851bc05028, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: 00000000be000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 0000000000800400, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

This is not the AMD drivers causing this. You have a hardware failure somewhere.

Are you overclocking the system? As i said, you should run PRIME95 or a good system stress test and check for overheating.

Run intel processor diagnostic tool and check the state of your processor.

0 Likes

Also, run an sfc scan and dism, on a cmd prompt:

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It's always good to keep an eye on that.

0 Likes

I did the sfc / scannow and again clean installed my drivers, underclocked my gpu and reorganized the cables again. I have 4 RAM Slots on my Motherboard and the second one has one broken slot clipper ( i dont know the exact word, i mean the thing at the end of the slots, you press to get the ram out). I took the RAM from this slot because i think that could have caused my troubles. I need to run a few games like Modern Warfare (it mostly crashed playing this game) and then i will reply again if my system is stable.

BUT I am so very happy for your support guys, i really appreciate that!!! Thanks alot, 

best regards.

0 Likes

YOu shouldn't have to underclock anything unless the temperatures are an issue. Everything should be default factory settings. From bios to your video card. At least to start. You should really pay close attention to your temperatures aswell. Because if something is overheating, then that could be why this is happening. The 5700 XTs have higher than average temperatures, so it can heat up systems more than they would otherwise would be w/o proper cooling.

But what you did was certainly a good test. In general there is no easy way to determine the culprit on these things other than pull hardware out and see.

0 Likes
saveusjuan
Adept I

Hey cammy; I too was having this issue, specifically with warzone. I was pulling my hair out and went weeks trying to pinpoint the exact error. Check your event viewer when you get the crash. If it says it’s the radeonsoftware.exe causing the error, or error code 0xc000374, or exception code 0xc0000005, or any error code caused by Radeonsofware.exe than its the application that is the issue. This solution for some reason is skipped by everyone on these forums, the AMD Radeonsoftware  Adrenalin 2020 application is the issue! Not the drivers themselves. I recommend you to do this. 
1. uninstall all your drivers and remove the Radeonsofware Adrenalin application entirely. I recommend using (AMD Cleanup Utility) 
2. Next go back to AMDs drivers and here’s the catch you can choose which ever you please, 20.4.2 worked for me. Download the driver again, and run. 
3. Now you’re  at the setup wizard for the drivers, where it says destination folder copy that entire text “Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-XXXX(DATE)” 

4. Open up notepad and paste it there(this will be so you could find it easily) then just save it on your desktop and name it as you please. 

5. Now that you have this, go back to the Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 setup wizard and click install(this will begin the extraction process) 

6. it will detect your system configuration, and then a second(actual install screen)will be prompted. THIS IS WHERE YOU HIT CANCEL. Because we do not want the Adrenalin software just the drivers. 
7.Open device manager go to display adapters, right-click “Microsoft Basic Display adapter” and choose Update Driver. Now choose browse my computer for driver software.

8. Open up your notepad from earlier(hopefully saved on desktop so you didn’t lose it )copy the “Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-XXXX(DATE)” and paste it in the text box. 
9. Finally click next and your drivers will be installed, you will experience the same flickers as usual. You will now have the updated drivers but not the software Adrenalin. 
I hope this will help you, as I know how frustrating this can be to spend all this money on a product that should work properly. I am not good with coding, programming, or tinkering with my computer. I found this solution after weeks of headaches and diagnosing. Let me know how it goes, good luck!

here’s a video. How to install AMD Drivers (without the installing Adrenaline Software) - YouTube 

I also thought about this but never actually tried it. I will give it a go today. Are you completlly crash free or you just reduce the number of crashes?

0 Likes

I have been testing this for two weeks now with zero crashes, played multiple titles. Warzone, Red Dead Redemption, Starcraft, Valorant, Counter Strike, CIV 6, etc. This was the only real fix for me.

0 Likes

I had a problem with crash to my desktop after 20-80 minutes in any game without black screen. In my case event log show RadeonSoftware amdkap was falling down.
I tried a similar trick with driver installation and unfortunately it didn't work. RadeonSoftware really didn't crash because it wasn't there, but amdkap was still crashing.

0 Likes

Did you try disabling HW acceleration in the registry yet?

0 Likes

Yes, and also i update bios, reset bios, ddu uninstall/clean install 20.2.4 20.2.2 19.2.3 19.2.1 drivers. I also change my psu, reinstall windows, disable all settings and features in adrenaline, edit boot settings, off all OC like XMP or precision boost overdrive, try downgrade frequency, and infinity more things. Nothing work. Yesterday i again reinstalled the windows and games work fine now, but I don't feel enthusiastic, because this fall can happen after a while, the longest period after reinstalling the windows was a month, the shortest 3 days.
Maybe it has due to another software which conflicts with radeon driver, maybe with the moon phase, I don't know.

In my case, the problem is always the same. This is the fall of amdkap and radeon software, roughly speaking, during the game, the driver restarts at some point. If the game has an error message, it will say something like about: error, device has been remove

sory for my bad english, this is not my native language

One thing that i did was force my PCI-E slot to 3.0 aswell as any other associated settings from AUTO. Have you tried that? 

I still get crashes to desktop from games, but a lot of what i see are C000000005 exceptions or access violation errors.

Have you run reliability history (type that into search bar)? What are most of the crashes you see? Are they radeonsoftware.exe?

0 Likes

check with your respective motherboard vendor and see if AGESA 1.0.0.5 has become available. I do notice that MSI has taken steps to fix the audio problems with Polaris so I am speculating that Vega and Navi are also fixed to some extent.

0 Likes

This is also not working for me

0 Likes

It doesn't work for Nitro+ 5700XT, already tried it earlier. I've reached stability by using Enterprise drivers and share updates in this thread:

https://community.amd.com/message/2972670?commentID=2972670#comment-2972670 

P.S. I didn't manage to play games after installing Enterprise driver yet but I don't experience black screens on each first Windows boot + work on PC whole day without crashes. Also, I don't know how well these drivers are optimized for gaming.

0 Likes

If you are going to cuss on the Forum at least be brave enough not to use *.
What point are you trying to make?
Do you have an open thread describing your System specifications & problem?
Have you files AMD Reporting Form?
Have you tried email support?
Thanks.

0 Likes
gunstarpl
Journeyman III

I've tried installing just the driver via Device Manager (as suggested here) and I am still getting crashes with black screen + occasional restart.

Before I was getting this in Windows log most of the time:

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e9f5ad0
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e9f5ad0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000412967
Faulting process id: 0x21d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d61f48bfc033f1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Report Id: e822bb77-86ef-490f-a6c8-a89ef5804e88
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Now I got this (which has happened before at least once with full Adrenalin driver):

Faulting application name: StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5e708f15
Faulting module name: atidxx64.dll, version: 26.20.15029.27016, time stamp: 0x5e9f5d77
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017f3b
Faulting process id: 0x3240
Faulting application start time: 0x01d61f242d35e9a5
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0354308.inf_amd64_48534036afa0f0d8\B354265\atidxx64.dll
Report Id: 8dc703dc-40fc-421c-94bc-f5ba5a084996
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.18362.449_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

I get those aswell. I dont black screens anymore (or haven't for months), but i do get crashes and non responsive programs. And a lot of the time it gives me the same exception codes.

Do you get black screens ? Crashes? How often? I get them after playing games for over an hour. Which AMD is aware of.

Type reliability history into search. Its far better than having to go through the event log. Are most of the problems crashes?

Ok. Guess what happened guys:). 3 days ago i got a bluescreen out of nowhere. After that the pc just refused to boot into windows. It was a pretty damn complex job to fix it, but in the process of doing it i updated my bios to the latest version and i installed windows again. It seems that one of my ssd's just died. So after i installed windows i ias thinking to install the latest amd driver..and guess what..2 days with 0 crashes or black screen. I take that as a massive win. Hope it will be ok

Glad you were able to resolve your issue, please let me know if you experience the same issue again and i will re-open your discussion. 

0 Likes
aminebouziane
Journeyman III

Same issue here with my Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 5700 XT

I've tried everything I've found on the Internet, but it always crashes randomly on almost every game.

Installing the 2019drivers doesn't help since you can't play Modern Warfare with this driver version.

I start thinking it was a big mistake switching into AMD.

0 Likes

Hi,
I have the same issue, but it only happens with cyberpunk 2077 game, i do not know why too, black screen with buzzing noise that requires a hard reboot, my graphic card is asus 5700 xt.

0 Likes

@aminebouziane Try removing the current drivers with DDU, get the recommended 20.11.x driver, use 7zip to extract the drivers executable (it's a sfx archive) and then do an Update driver from Device Manager, by giving the folder where you extracted the driver to. I tried this with the September drivers and only got one black screen last week. Now I'm trying the same thing with the November driver. If I get black screen again, it's back to service (for the third time).

0 Likes

The only way to fix black screens & driver timeout error was rolling back to recommended Adrenalin 20.11.2

0 Likes

@nordvargr That is true only if you are very, very lucky. I had no such luck. Today I'm sending my RX 5600 XT to the service one more time. I ran OCCT GPU memory test, and it had 4 error in 20 minutes. And that's with the 12GHz memory vbios. Not even a chance to run that card at 14GHz like MSI says it should.

0 Likes

Hi,
what is the name of your gpu ?

0 Likes

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

0 Likes