cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

5700XT crashing every game and black screen

I recently changed my monitor. Since this new one is QHD and supports FreeSync ,i thought is the case to upgrade also my video card since my old GTX 1080 had some issues with this resolution. So, i though, why not, let's try AMD. My first product from AMD in the last 12-13 years or so. SO i bought a Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming OC. Well, after i read some things on the internet, i realized that the graphic card is ok, the driver is garbage. I get crashes in every single game, from League of Legends to Red Dead Redemption 2. From my experience, the games that doesn't need so much video power, runs like 10 minutes or so with pretty poor performance than crash. The games that are more demanding crash in the first 2-3 minutes.I tried every single version of the driver. Clean windows install. Used DDU. Change the settings in the driver and do every thing i read on the internet that may cause the issue. I checked also my PSU. Everything is fine with my computer. I paid a decent amount of money on a product that i can't use. I saw in you driver release notes that the new version improve the performance in some games. Pointless, i don't care if i get some extra FPS in the game if the game crash after 10 minutes. Than, there's the other thing with the black screen. There's no other way than restart the PC in order to fix that and hope you wouldn't get another black screen in the next hour or so. Another issue is that the in some games, after a few minutes of playing the FPS drops like hell. For eg, in ETS 2 from 120 to 50-55 in just a few minutes. The temps seems normal.

My PC configuration

Asus Z390-f

Intel i5 9600k

32 GB DDR4 HyperX fury black 3200Mhz

Gigabite Radeon RX 5700xt Gaming OC

and 1 HDD + 3 SSD but i din't this is not important.

Latest windows version also.

I think you should focus on the crashing and black screen issue first and then on some other issues. Since it's more important for not to at least let use use the GPU without crashing.

Please fix this thing ASAP or you will lose tons of customer. It's my first product from AMD in years and i already thought to change it. I prefer to pay more for a product that works properly than less on a product that have tons of issues.

1 Solution

Ok. Guess what happened guys:). 3 days ago i got a bluescreen out of nowhere. After that the pc just refused to boot into windows. It was a pretty damn complex job to fix it, but in the process of doing it i updated my bios to the latest version and i installed windows again. It seems that one of my ssd's just died. So after i installed windows i ias thinking to install the latest amd driver..and guess what..2 days with 0 crashes or black screen. I take that as a massive win. Hope it will be ok

View solution in original post

111 Replies

In the above example...setting hardware acceleration in the registry is incorrect. Setting it to "1" enables it...setting it to "0" disables it.

Hardware acceleration is enabled or disabled in the browser. All browsers have the option/setting.

0 Likes

False. Setting it to one disables it.

The key is disablehwaccleration, so setting it to 1 disables it.

Graphics Rendering Registry Settings - WPF | Microsoft Docs 

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

If you already do all of things but black screen still appear, you can try this method. It's working for me

Final solution to fix black screen and freeze without  down AMD software to 19.xx. (using MSI afterb... 

0 Likes

I guess the drivers are tested by monkeys or you guys have different  gpu's than us or something. Tried  the new version of the driver. It's crashing in his own app. No need to open a game to get a black screen or a crash when you can get it in the adrenalin app. Epic AMD job

Hi,

Did you make sure to update Windows before installing the latest Adrenalin 2020 20.4.2 driver?
I have Windows 10 Pro 10.09 (OS Build 18363.720) on a system with RX Vega 64 Liquid installed.
I have been trying to avoid any more Microsoft Virus in my environment so my last update was April 16th.

I know I should update Windows to latest patches but because they are often bad I usually run full system backup on OS drive first.
Since I was keen to see if this Adrenalin 2020 20.4.2 driver would fix BSODs and Crashes on the RX Vega 64 Liquid I tried it out.

Results.

(1). DDU in safe mode to remove previous Adrenalin 20.4.1 driver followed by Factory Reset install of Adrenalin 20.4.2 then reboot.
In this case I can ;log into the PC but once I lick to start the Adrenalin GUI/UI the PC freezes up / halts for long periods of time.
I can barely move the mouse.
It did not BSOD or Blackscreen but it was very difficult to get to Settings->Update&Security->Recovery->Advanced Start up to get to Safe Mode boot and run DDU to get rid of the Adrenalin 20.4.2 Drivers.

(2). I then installed Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 - PC back working fine with no problems.

(3). I then used Windows Device Manager to update the Drivers to Adrenalin 2020.4.2 but keep the Adrenalin 2019.19.12.1 GUI/UI. Windows reported the drivers installed successfully.

(4). On reboot the PC was locking at the login screen. I spent a couple of hours trying everything to get the PC to boot into Windows 10 Safe Mode so I could uninstall the drivers. I had to reflash the BIOS twice as well.

(5). Finally I reinstalled Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1.

The PC is back working fine and all Windows checks still pass o.k.

I guess I will have to accept my Windows Update untested Vaccine and hope the latest KB4060606 doesn't wreck the OS like the last one.

I will let you know if teh Driver installs at all later today after the OS backup complete. 

Hopefully no more Electric Mayhem Drama.
It will be funny if this Driver/Installer does have to get pulled though.

0 Likes

I just installed windows again and tried the latest driver. Didn't had much time to test it but for 30-40 minutes everything seems fine. Still, waiting to test it more in the next days ,but i still have a feeling that will be the same experience. 

That is good news that you managed to get it to install.
Hopefully I will have the same experience once I update Windows 10 to latest patches.
I guess I should not have tried to take a shortcut and just let my backup complete first.

0 Likes

Yup. It's still crashing every 10 minutes. Back again to the 19.12.1

Gonna wait one more month or two until i can save the money and change it back to nvidia. 

I am sorry to hear that.
Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 was ~ best for me. 
Hybrid Adrenalin 2019 12.12.1 GUI/UI with Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 drivers updated in device manager seemed most stable to me.  

RE: Gonna wait one more month or two until i can save the money and change it back to nvidia.
I understand.
I have been trying everything to get answers on Technical questions about RX5700XT and RX Vega 64.
I get no technical response and only locked thread. I have tried AMD on Reddit as well.

See:Why was "RX 5700 XT Random Black Screens When Gaming" Thread locked? 

Maybe Nvidia Ampere GPU will be worth waiting for.

0 Likes
evgeny_po
Adept II

Tried the 20.4.2 driver, spoiler - the problem isn't fixed for me.

Did all in the following order:

Clean windows install > Latest windows updates > Chipset drivers > MB drivers > Radeon Drivers.

I played a whole day without a problem, all the games worked perfectly, had some hope.

The next day the problem returned (driver restarts, black screen\signal loses, artifacts, blinking picture etc)

Im so desperate that Im looking now for a good 1000w psu. Although i have 750w but its an old PSU and im not sure if it can handle new video cards. (Chieftec cft-750-14cs 750W)

In this thread, everyone point that my psu is the problem (i created this one so the problem and all the trobleshooting more detailed there) Aorus 5700 xt crash + black screen 

Guys what do you think? should i look for a better one or l'll just waste money and the GPU will still be unstable?

Someone wants to buy my 5700xt for 25% cheaper price so I need to decide what to do asap. personally i would like to make the 5700xt work, its already bought and if im going to switch to 2070 super i'll lose too much money.

I'd appreciate your suggestions!

0 Likes

Tried 3 different PSU since i bought the card..no change. 

I think you should purchase a new Power Supply anyhow.

Your PC power supply is very old and PSU components do degrade with use.
You can always keep the old PSU for another build or as a spare in case something happens to the new one.

Nvida GPUs also need good PSUs to work properly.
Replacing the PSU might not help with the RX5700XT problems but at least you will have resolution to your debug efforts and a new PSU.
You will be able to show if it is the PSU or if it is AMD GPU and driver problem. 

I have brand new Corsair AX1600i PSU  (you really cannot buy much better) on a Ryzen based PC and a brand new RX Vega 64 Liquid that has constantly crashed with every AMD Driver I have tried.

If I replace with Palit RTX 2080 Gaming Pro OC, no more crashing.

I also tested on a different Intel PC with brand new Corsair AX1200i PSU.

Same happens with another RX Vega 64 Liquid I purchased, and a Power Color Red Dragon Vega 56 on both machines.

Seems like it is something to do with AMD to me.

I think you should purchase a new Power Supply anyhow.

Your PC power supply is very old and PSU components do degrade with use.
You can always keep the old PSU for another build or as a spare in case something happens to the new one.

You've got a point here. I'll think about replacing PSU regardless my 5700xt issues. worst case scenario I've got a PSU for 10 years forward.

Hope the Antec HCG1000 will be fine, its good priced where i live. (sorry for not providing a link, the message will be moderated for days)

Anyway AMD should check their drivers, I think the customers doing too much work for them it shouldn't be like this.

Not everyone good at computers but even those who are good still can't manage to resolve it.

Yes that one looks good to me.
So once you fit it you should finally be able to debug.
Good luck and I hope the PSU resolves your problems.

Changing a Chieftec is a great idea, that's a terrible PSU vendor. But you DON'T need a 1000w PSU. I have my 5700 XT running on a proper 650w PSU (bitfenix whisper 650w) and that's already an exaggeration. You will do just fine on a PROPER 550w PSU, 650w if you want that margin. Hell, even some older bronze PSU platforms with group regulation would do just fine.

Another piece of advice I'd give to anyone, regarding clean windows installation: download the latest drivers to a pen drive, before doing a clean install. When you start installing, remove your ethernet cable and disable wi-fi if possible, DO NOT let your PC connect to the internet, to stop windows from downloading weird drivers. You let it have the most basic driver possible, that comes with the installation, and you then install the latest AMD drivers as soon as you enter windows.

That was my way to actually have a proper clean driver without weird installations running before.

miguelbazil wrote:

Changing a Chieftec is a great idea, that's a terrible PSU vendor. But you DON'T need a 1000w PSU. I have my 5700 XT running on a proper 650w PSU (bitfenix whisper 650w) and that's already an exaggeration. You will do just fine on a PROPER 550w PSU, 650w if you want that margin. Hell, even some older bronze PSU platforms with group regulation would do just fine.

Another piece of advice I'd give to anyone, regarding clean windows installation: download the latest drivers to a pen drive, before doing a clean install. When you start installing, remove your ethernet cable and disable wi-fi if possible, DO NOT let your PC connect to the internet, to stop windows from downloading weird drivers. You let it have the most basic driver possible, that comes with the installation, and you then install the latest AMD drivers as soon as you enter windows.

That was my way to actually have a proper clean driver without weird installations running before.

I use a Corsair HX1000i and power supplies at 40% utilization are hyper efficient

I tend to use cards with dual 8-pin power cables so having a few extra watts in reserve is helpful when I want to run dual cards etc

0 Likes
cj7
Adept I

Stop using Adrenaline 2020. Driver 22.2.2 is fine it's Wattman/Adrenaline 2020 that's the problem. The drivers are rock solid.

0 Likes

So if you want to use a custom profile on your GPU, what software do you use currently?

0 Likes

22.2.2 doesn't exist. There are only 19's and 20's. And both use the new UI. 

0 Likes

amdfreak01 wrote:

22.2.2 doesn't exist. There are only 19's and 20's. And both use the new UI. 

20.2.2 was released on feb 28

0 Likes

OK but he wrote 22.2.2. 

0 Likes

amdfreak01 wrote:

OK but he wrote 22.2.2. 

most like a typo

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

OP what is your PSU? 5700 XT cause very high transient loads which can cause high ripple on power lines. It might cause crashes, albeit you would rather get restarts or bsods. What is your monitor? Does the memory clock run at full speed? Can you check this on other monitor? I have suspicion that 5700 XT don't play well with some monitors. Make sure you've updated the GPU and MOBO bios, and you also have chipset drivers. Check your RAM for problems. 

Or...you could buy nvidia and probably have no problems. But first make sure it's not your system, but indeed the GPU or their drivers. If its drivers, i would advise against waiting for new release, and just returning the GPU. You will never know if the next drivers are going to fix the problem. AMD has good perf/value on paper but has less feature, less cutting edge technologies and optimizations, and the drivers are of lesser quality. People tend to overlook these things, and just look at FPS graphs

0 Likes
shuriken9999
Adept I

im having the same problem always i try to play Resident Evil 3 and Metro Exodus i get a black screen i just try already new windows all drivers 20**** and 19**** DDU too for the new drivers intalation but didnt fix it.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • XFX Radeon RX 5700 xt 8gb Thicc III ultra
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 20.4.2 , 19.12.1 and others.
  • Display Devices
    • AOC C24G1 24 1920x1080 @144Hz Active DisplayPort
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Gigabite Gaming X X570 Bios Version F12e (The last one)
  • CPU/APU. AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • ULTRA X3 1000W
  • RAM
    • G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB Series (2x8GB) 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ CL16

Did you try disabling HW acceleration i posted above? Or to disable it in your browser? Is enhanced sync enabled or disabled? It should be disabled. 

0 Likes

Hi mate i try to find and disabling the HW acceleration but i can´t find in windows 10 wen i go to display settings , advanced display settings , display adapter properties for display 1 , graphic properties and don't have troubleshooting option but in browser (Firefox) i turned off but don't make any difference now about enhanced sync was always off. Now i was trying to use OCBASE / OCCT and i try first with my nvidia Asus StriX1060 6gb i try all the functions MEMTEST , 3D and POWER test all works fine 0 errors for all time i want but wen i try with the amd all the tests after i press start the test dont even start just get the black screen automatic

0 Likes

Type regedit into the search bar and hit enter.

Search for the following.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAccelerationDWORD

Start by looking just for Avalon.Graphics and see if it has the key DisableHWAcceleration

if it doesn't, add DisableHWAcceleration (DWORD) or, if it does change its value from 0 to 1.

Another thing to do before you do any tests at all, is reset the driver to factory settings, AND reset the system BIOS and clear CMOS.

Keep WATTMAN disabled for now.

Then, along with the registry tweak above, run the tests again.

0 Likes

Hello mate I just found my problem and fix it already the problem was not the graphic card I was thinking how I buy the graphic and in the first day he just works fine and in the second he just start doing black screen always and start going worst and worst so was not normal and couldn't be the PSU so I just open the pc again and start thinking cod be one of the 2 8pin cables maybe one is not good and I was not so wrong so I remove them and replace them somehow one of them was not so fixed and now its all working really good using the last driver and until now no problem so it passes one day already and using him all day playing games and already tries the OCBASE / OCCT and all the tests works fine with no problem. Thanks for all the helps you try to give me I really appreciate and some people should try to see if they don't have the same problem because in the graphic the 2 LEDs was working well with the blue color and not red so at start content be the cables but was.

evgeny_po
Adept II

Guys check that out! 

This is my idle. (50c degrees its not what i would expect from a 2.7 slot cooler on "idle", and 775c junction? excuse mua but waaaat?)

that card gone completely mad. someone encountered this before?

Capture3.PNG

Well even AMD claim that the maximum junction temperature of the RX5700XT should not run above 110'C.
That 775 reading is either a faulty sensor on your RX5700XT die or yet another Radeon Adrenalin 2020 (20.4.2 ?) Software Bug.
Either way it cannot be good.

0 Likes

Is this a new problem? Did you get a new PSU?

Have you tried to reset your BIOS and clear CMOS? 

Which driver version is this?

Do you get that with all driver versions?

Its not that hot. If its not software, its a bad sensor and you should look into getting your card replaced.

0 Likes

I have this issue occur too.

It usually happens when Radeon.exe crashes.

Do you have stuttery audio before it crashes, then once it crashes it shows this?

Its the drivers, im telling you - im fed up of not being able to play any games without crashing, litterally get to play games for 5 mins max - i should have just gone to nvidia in hindseight.

Ive just rolled back to 19.12.1 to see if i can get to play games again.

0 Likes

cammy wrote:

I have this issue occur too.

It usually happens when Radeon.exe crashes.

Do you have stuttery audio before it crashes, then once it crashes it shows this?

Its the drivers, im telling you - im fed up of not being able to play any games without crashing, litterally get to play games for 5 mins max - i should have just gone to nvidia in hindseight.

Ive just rolled back to 19.12.1 to see if i can get to play games again.

if you are getting crashing like that, might be time for a fresh install of windows

0 Likes

Allready tried it (twice - just to rule it out), didn't help atall - if i dont have the drivers installed, browsing the web etc is flawless, but obviously cant play games with it with no drivers installed, but theres no audio issues etc until the radeon drivers are installed, so far 19.2.1 seems to be far, far more stable than anything else - bearing in mind, i think this is crimson rather than radeon2020 (could be wrong), if i bump the GPU vram up with gpu utilisation then the audio issues go away

The issue is 100% driver related, ive had the card for over a month maby 2, and been troubleshooting since day 1, ive tried 2 nvidia cards and dont get the issues atall with them, 1 being an old 650ti and the other being a hybrid 980ti, but once i go back to the 5700xt the issue seems to lay directly with radeonsoftware.exe crashing which is causing all sorts of issues, this is where the junction temp goes like the picture above, once the radeon crash happens - my audio issues are gone.

((I was an early buyer of the vega 64 card, and fortunately i didnt have any issues with it - but there was so many people who did and i was happy i never ran into any issues, it seems this time ive managed to land with one of the short straws on the amd card - possibly just a lottery))

0 Likes

You're getting the high junction temps like posted above? What driver version do you have installed?

I do have audio issues where i get noise from my monitor speaker from time to time, but i dont get stuttering in the stream. It usually goes away on reboot. Beyond that i had black screens, but i haven't had them, other than app crashes after long periods of game play.

Have you disabled enhanced sync? Reset your system BIOS/Cleared CMOS? Disabled HW acceleration via registry? 

0 Likes
cammy
Journeyman III

Same issue here, cannot play any games atall.

Radeon.exe keeps crashing too, you are not alone.

0 Likes
stroebi
Journeyman III

I have some issues aswell, i attached my crash log - maybe you can help me with this matter?

I have the newest driver installed 20.2.4 and i run the gigabyte rx5700rt.

0 Likes

On top of radeon crashes i see a bugcheck event.

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000124"

Did you get a blue screen? What were you doing? First thing to do is check your hardware connections. Reseat cards, make sure cables are correctly installed. Make sure processor is correctly installed. Look for loose memory. Check powersupply cables, etc.

Reset bios to factory defaults, and clear CMOS to begin with.

Next run userbenchmark, from userbenchmark.com and post results.

0 Likes

I get crashes while playing CoD modern warfare. I DDU my driver and reinstalled the 19.12.2 driver - lets see if that one is more stable. I had a yellow screen, i think it was because of some OC tweaks i made in adrenaline. Somehow my Fan was not going up aswell. I believe i connected everything right in my pc - its almost 5 years old and i had never have any crashes with my old gpu (gtx 970) but for now it is crashing many times per day. I am pretty sure it is the amd software but i dont know what do to.

Specs are:

AsRock Hs87 Pro 4

Intel i7 4790K 

Gigabyte OC RX5700RT

700 Watt PSU - Be Quiet

32 DDR3 RAM - Hyper Fury X 1600Mhz (TCL and everthing else on AUTO and no Voltage change, 1.5 V)

Memory is not loose, and as i said the processor is correctly installed.

Any more suggestions?

I was running Unigine Benchmark, i post my results here

Unigine.png

0 Likes

According to your log, you are getting bug checks. Do you see blue screens at any time? 

Reseat the graphics card, and make sure cables are securely installed. Check or replace both cables to the video card if you have a modular supply, or change outlets too if possible.

Did you reset bios to factory defaults? Reset wattman? And clear CMOS?

Goto USERBENCHMARK.com and run the software. Post the results.

0 Likes