cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

5700XT crashing every game and black screen

I recently changed my monitor. Since this new one is QHD and supports FreeSync ,i thought is the case to upgrade also my video card since my old GTX 1080 had some issues with this resolution. So, i though, why not, let's try AMD. My first product from AMD in the last 12-13 years or so. SO i bought a Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming OC. Well, after i read some things on the internet, i realized that the graphic card is ok, the driver is garbage. I get crashes in every single game, from League of Legends to Red Dead Redemption 2. From my experience, the games that doesn't need so much video power, runs like 10 minutes or so with pretty poor performance than crash. The games that are more demanding crash in the first 2-3 minutes.I tried every single version of the driver. Clean windows install. Used DDU. Change the settings in the driver and do every thing i read on the internet that may cause the issue. I checked also my PSU. Everything is fine with my computer. I paid a decent amount of money on a product that i can't use. I saw in you driver release notes that the new version improve the performance in some games. Pointless, i don't care if i get some extra FPS in the game if the game crash after 10 minutes. Than, there's the other thing with the black screen. There's no other way than restart the PC in order to fix that and hope you wouldn't get another black screen in the next hour or so. Another issue is that the in some games, after a few minutes of playing the FPS drops like hell. For eg, in ETS 2 from 120 to 50-55 in just a few minutes. The temps seems normal.

My PC configuration

Asus Z390-f

Intel i5 9600k

32 GB DDR4 HyperX fury black 3200Mhz

Gigabite Radeon RX 5700xt Gaming OC

and 1 HDD + 3 SSD but i din't this is not important.

Latest windows version also.

I think you should focus on the crashing and black screen issue first and then on some other issues. Since it's more important for not to at least let use use the GPU without crashing.

Please fix this thing ASAP or you will lose tons of customer. It's my first product from AMD in years and i already thought to change it. I prefer to pay more for a product that works properly than less on a product that have tons of issues.

1 Solution

Ok. Guess what happened guys:). 3 days ago i got a bluescreen out of nowhere. After that the pc just refused to boot into windows. It was a pretty damn complex job to fix it, but in the process of doing it i updated my bios to the latest version and i installed windows again. It seems that one of my ssd's just died. So after i installed windows i ias thinking to install the latest amd driver..and guess what..2 days with 0 crashes or black screen. I take that as a massive win. Hope it will be ok

View solution in original post

111 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

Are you push the button to hard restart when black screen? You can't do anything when black screen even task manager right?

0 Likes

Yes...i can't do nothing so i have to press the button

0 Likes

Hey someone said try to use amd software version 19.12.1. Please try it. In this thread https://community.amd.com/thread/250353 

0 Likes

When you happen to get a black screen, do you still hear sounds like the computer is working? 

If yes, try:
Win+Ctrl+Shift+B

This will restart GPU driver and screen should come back.

if not, try to see if an utility like blue screen viewer shows anything that caused the crash.

0 Likes
endo
Journeyman III

Exactly the same situation here; Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming OC with everything up-to-date. I have had blackscreens (No signal) while playing pretty much any game (Ghost Recon Wildlands/Breakpoint, Metro Exodus, The Witcher 3). Apart from that when the error occurs my peripherals (keybourd/mouse) also lose power. 

System specification:

Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200mhz

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming OC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250Gb M.2 NVME SSD

Corsair RM650

Only way i am able to play games at the moment is on older drivers. So perhaps you can try that aswell. DDU the current drivers and install 19.12.1 That one works with my current setup.

0 Likes
cyruswong
Journeyman III

rx 5700 xt has a lot of issue with the 2020 driver. use back 2019 driver, last okay version is 19.12.1

0 Likes
christiang
Adept III

Same problems with sapphire 5700 pulse. (Stock & game mode)

Is it OK with 19.12.1?

0 Likes

Still the same thing to me. Maybe it won't crash that fast, but it will. I did everything i could. Just feel bad that i did not returned it when i had the chance

0 Likes
xanderdahl
Journeyman III

I have the same problems, I still haven't played a game, just bought a fully new gaming pc, blue screens all the time, I also have Gigabyte OC 8 gb like you, I thought my pc wasn't working so I did RMA, but now I think I will wait for update? What do you think?

My specs is, 3800x 5700xt 32 gb 3200mhz, 

I had to reset the windows, so it was really hard that this is happening.

Hope that there is a fix coming.

0 Likes

So, for 4-5 hours not a single issue. I was able to play WRC 8 which used to crash every 10 minutes or so. I had some hope. Than, boom, black screen again. The entire pc just died. Had to restart it. I'm losing my mind.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Could you confirm what build of Windows 10 you are using? 

Also do you have a web browser or discord open at the same time as when the crashes occur?

What is the make and model of your PSU?

Do you have a picture you can share of the internals of your PC case?

Will pass your feedback to engineering for investigation. 

0 Likes

Windows version is 10.0.18363.

From time to time maybe there's a web browser opened, but not always. I don't use discord at all. I don't have a picture right now but i can take one later when i reach home.  The PSU that i use right now is from a brand called Argus , with 720 w power. I don't think it's the PSU since i tried it also with the Corsair RM 850i 850w and still the same issue. That's the first thing i checked, the PSU 

0 Likes

Window 10 64bit professional latest version

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

ASUS ROG STRIX 5600XT 6GB

AM4 Ryzen ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS 

HYPERX FURY 16GB BUS 3200

POWER SUPPLY  COOLER MASTER ATX  MWE GOLD 650 WATTS

HDD 2 TB WD BLACK

SSD 250 GB WD Blue NVMe

Yes, black screen and freeze occur when I use discord and chrome but I already disable hardware acceleration.

0 Likes

The most stable time was after the release of 20.2.2 for about 5 days there was no black screen, after that there was a black screen in Borderlands 3 (in which this problem had not been observed before), and then it began to appear randomly as before. Some days (which is rare) the problem does not occur, some days it happens many times in a row. Today I tried to enter the CSGO match and every time I got a black screen while trying to connect to the server. The problem also happens often when switching between active windows. During the game, I connected the microphone, the connection panel of the device got out and I got a black screen. Sometimes I minimized the game to check the faceit client, and I got a black screen. Sometimes I see green artifacts before black screens occurs. Before starting some games I sometimes see a green screen for a moment. Black screens occurs both with a running discord and a browser and without background processes. Hardware acceleration was also turned on and off, for these half a year I have tried absolutely everything.

Windows 10 pro 64bit 1909 18363.752 build (fresh install 2 days ago)

Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3850mhz currently (problem exist at stock clocks too)

Asus prime b350m-a last bios (5220 now, but tried older 5216, same problem)

Sapphire rx 5700 (reference) @ adrenalin 20.2.2 (tried every other driver since september, black screen occurs at every version i tried)

Ballistix Sport LT 3000mhz cl16 16gb (every memory test passed with no errors, black screen problem occurs with oc, xmp, even JEDEC 2400mhz)

PSU be quiet! system power 9 700w, connected with 2 separate cables (my 3rd PSU since a i bought rx 5700, same problems)

SSD OCZ TR200 240GB (system+few games)

HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB (steam lib and other stuff)

Temps are fine, memtest86 are fine, OCCT PSU stress (linx + furmark) same as AIDA64 stress test can run for hours.stress.pngIMG_6389.JPGIMG_6402.JPG

I have exactly the same issues en tried the same things.

0 Likes

Just tried the new version of the driver. Crashing every 10 minutes. Back to 19.12.1 again i guess. 

0 Likes

You have had any chance?

0 Likes
aimé
Journeyman III

Same issues over here. Probably gonna return the product..

0 Likes
dondertom
Journeyman III

Hi I have an Asrock Challenger 5700 non XT with a 1700X @4GHz paired with 16GB 3000MHz ram and I still have stutter and downclocking issues with any of the latest drivers.
20.2.2 works a bit better than 20.4.2 (less tearing in freesync) but either way I have to manually force the clock to max just like everyone else and that only fixes it somewhat. not fully. It's barely usable. 

I do not get blackscreens btw. Just had my whole pc freeze once when switching freesync from on to off in the monitor osd, could hear the sound crash as well so that was a full system hang. Couldn't reproduce the bug.

Crossout is what I mainly play as pretty much any other game experiences insane tearing and stuttering.
Crossout runs better with the ingame scaling bumped up a bit with all details maxed.
This way I get mad tearing the first few minutes of gameplay in the middle and bottom of the screen, combined with stuttering. The tearing moves to the bottom 4 pixel lines of the screen after a minute so it's less annoying and the stuttering is still there, but to a less extent. Like now it feels more like loading lag, minor hiccups here and there, even though it's a perfectly fine samsung nvm-e ssd. 

My RX580, FX8320 rig is actually running much smoother, even the games on hdd. 
And those are considered bargain bin parts these days.

AMD:

ALL I ASK FOR IS A *UNOFFICIAL* DRIVER RELEASE WITH LOCKED BOOST CLOCKS!

AND ALL BUGGED FEATURES REMOVED/DISABLED!

This could be the perfect bandaid for now. 

Right now I'm really thinking of RMA'ing it but I feel like I shouldn't because it's obviously driver related problems.

But seeing the situation, and how little info we get, maybe 50% of navi chips are just faulty from the start and weren't tested properly at all. 

But then again, I see people with similar issues on much older cards or even on RX580, on which I have no issues at all.

I had the strange feeling animations and everything gpu related was much snappier when I reinstalled windows with an old build. 1903 I think. 

It could all be a windows issue too, idk, I'm not a GPU engineer, and I shouldn't be trying to figure this out when all I try to do is play some damn games.

AMD, I've been a loyal customer, all the way from Athlon X2 6000+ with an HD6770, to a FX8350 with an HD7950 (which got upgraded to a R9 290), all the way to a Ryzen 7 1700X with an RX5700, only to have a worse experience than I've had in times, while it should have been lightyears ahead on paper.

I am straight up losing my miiiiiiiind!

It teases you with performance you can't fully have, it's soooo frustrating!

Pity. I was interested in those 2 slot (40mm)  ASRock  Challenger RX5700XT, and the 2 slot (40mm) PowerColor Red Dragon. It seems like lots of people are RMAing both.

No one seems to be getting any technical response about this.

It seems to me like: 

1. Heavy marketing of "Eye Candy - to some" Adrenalin 2020 driver features, most of which don't work or are now removed.
2. Short Benchmarks of heavily DX12 and Vulkan Biased test suites with Tech YouTubers who report no Driver issues or give launch day driver excuse. Who knows if their GPUs were specially selected with best RX5700XT die or not?
3. Take your money for the GPUs.
4. "Bye".

I  think they have managed to really upset many AMD fans / users this time around, especially after Vega and Radeon VII.

Payback will likely come with lack of interest in "Big Navi" and Ryzen 4000 mobile Radeon Vega APU laptops.

I am very happy with Ryzen 3000 CPU in new PC Builds.
There is no way I am touching anything new with Radeon GPU or Drivers on it for a long time.

Nothing wrong with the video cards, its the drivers

Clean install of windows and test drivers to see what works, I do that all day

0 Likes

There are a number of AIB RX5700XT and Vega GPUs with well documented hardware problems.
There are plently of people with RX5700XT who have tried a long list of things to get their GPUs to work.
AMD have a number of serious "Known Issues"  for both Vega and RX5700XT on Adrenalin 2020  20.4.1. Driver Release Notes which means there are AMD verified problems with the GPUs/Drivers.

colesdav wrote:

There are a number of AIB RX5700XT and Vega GPUs with well documented hardware problems.
There are plently of people with RX5700XT who have tried a long list of things to get their GPUs to work.
AMD have a number of serious "Known Issues"  for both Vega and RX5700XT on Adrenalin 2020  20.4.1. Driver Release Notes which means there are AMD verified problems with the GPUs/Drivers.

Got a specific list of known borked cardz?

0 Likes

I am on a clean install of windows 10 and 20.4.1 has been stable for me.

R5 3600 parked on a MSI X570-A PRO with G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200 4x8GB working fine

0 Likes

Which windows build do you use? It already seems to me that amd drivers conflict with build 1903 and newer, i dunno

Btw amdmatt‌ we gave you a lots of information to work with, all that you asked. A year will pass soon after the release of NAVI, but the problem has not yet been resolved, and there have been no official comments from AMD, not a single report was answered. For my own money I received only disappointment, and tons of killed nerves

I am using 1909 and today is update Tuesday

Origin kept crashing on both RX5700 and RX580 rigs until I did today's windows update.

I'll go check if games are more stable. 

0 Likes

Origin is working before the update so this suggests your setup is magled pretty bad

0 Likes
evgeny_po
Adept II

Hey guys, same problem here with the 5700 xt

I was struggling with this crap of a product for so long that i cant even return it to the store.

The issue is black screens + artifacts + fps drops + minor lags

the black screens sometimes disconnect the DisplayPort so you need to hard reboot or sometimes it return to the game after 10 seconds just to crash again, or not. That thing is too unpredictable

what i did:

Clean install of Windows 10 + newest drivers (20.4.1)

Tried older drivers (19.X.X)

DDU + Installing again... and again and again

Updating bios

Switching to alternative bios

Switching vBios silent\OC

Replacing PSU 8+8 Pins connector

Removing Gigabyte APP Center (Motherboard applications: fan control, bios update, leds etc.)

Disabling hardware acceleration of the browser

Disabling AMD software settings (anti lag, freesync)

Deleting all games from amd software

Trying all of the above on non NVMe drive

My specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz

MB: GA-X99-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0)

RAM: 4x4GB 2133 Mhz

GPU: AORUS Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G

PSU: Chieftec 750W

HD: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC

Games currently unstable: Warhammer 2 total war (oh god! why WH?), kingdom come, starcraft 2

tech support isnt helping either. looks like they just sending a copy paste message. "ddu and reinstall"

thanks.

If someone from AMD reading this, guys, please get your sh* together or recall your products if you got messed up with the hardware.

We all payed you a lot of money and spending much of our time instead of enjoying games trying to figure out why the hell we didnt threw this gpu out of the window. We are not your beta testers!

I have not installed Starcraft yet, thanks for bringing that up.

0 Likes
amdfreak01
Adept III

One thing i did was disable HW acceleration in the registry. Under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAccelerationDWORD

Either add DisableHWAcceleration (DWORD) or change its value from 0 to 1.

For me, this seems to do it.

0 Likes

Disabling hardware acceleration in win10 interface? Sounds like a good idea, i will try it

0 Likes

accn wrote:

Disabling hardware acceleration in win10 interface? Sounds like a good idea, i will try it

that defeats the purpose of the hardware in the first place

I suggest a clean install of windows as 20.4.1 is stable on my team red box

0 Likes

Testing it wouldn't hurt. I didn't recommend this for long term, but only troubleshooting purposes. Clearly AMD needs to fix this problem. If the "issue" goes away then its a hardware acceleration conflict.

If, however, it doesn't work, a clean install is a good next step.

0 Likes

Have you contacted tech support at all? Updated bios, chipset drivers, etc?

It does seem some specific cards are more prone to this than others. Could simply be the specific hardware. ARe you within a return window for this card or are you stuck w/ it? 

I had issues w/ my powercolor red dragon, so i returned it for a red devil, and it was far more stable. YOu dont have to necessarily get a more expensive model, but you could try another brand. Powercolor, for example.

0 Likes

I contacted AMD support and did not receive a response. All drivers, BIOS of the motherboard are updated to the latest versions. I have a licensed version of windows 10 pro, and I have done a clean installation several times already. I use the minimum number of third party software installed on my pc. In the first weeks when I could make a return, I was hoping that the problem would be solved soon by a new driver release, as the architecture is new and there may be problems at the start. Now I can try to return the card under warranty, but I do not know how long it will take and what the result will be. At the moment, I don't have a second video card to use the PC during the warranty, and I need the PC constantly for remote work. By the way, I bought a video card in September, and during this time I tried absolutely everything. Moreover, when I just bought this video card, I had an intel platform, and from that time there was nothing left from the old PC except SSD and HDD, that is, in fact, the problem was on two different PCs

Yeah thats tough. Try to disable HW acceleration either using the registry or in your browsers. They also recommend you disable enhanced vsync for now, if you haven't all ready done that. Did you reset your BIOS? Worth a shot if you haven't. Some people also tried several BIOS tweaks. YOu could also do searches for those as i dont remember what they were.

Did you try reverting to the older 19.x.x.x drivers?

Other than that, this has been going on for a long time. It may very well be a hardware issues, or an incompatibility. I have had very few black screens since i purchased my new card and upgraded to the new drivers.

And like you ive tried almost everything. The best you can do is keep trying. Maybe upgrade your system?

0 Likes

Of course, I tried various hardware acceleration options in the browser, discord, etc. I always try to close background applications that could affect something during game sessions. But I still think that the problem is somehow related to the system and hardware acceleration, since freezes often occurred during switching between active windows, for example, if one of these windows is a browser. "Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when performing multiple task switches using Alt+Tab." from 20.4.1 release notes, this is true not only for rx vega for example.

0 Likes