5700xt bsod playing video and losing contact with global wattman

power color red devil rx 5700 xt
win10 home

r7 3700x with no manual overclocking

32GB g.skill tridentz rgb at 3200MHz

crosshair vi hero

corsair 860i psu

nzxt kraken water cooling

completely fresh windows install for the bsod's, i get video_scheduler and tdr_error bsods frequently with less frequent irql less than equal and others issues occur on 19.9.2, 19.9.1 and 19.8.2, i've been using the amd cleaner to change drivers and restarting at every step of that process.

these bsods can chain. i've frequently seen video scheduler OR tdr error reboot the system only to have the motherboard post into the other bsod or for the bsod to occur at the login screen. at one point before the clean windows installation windows essentially told me to try a fresh install as it was as sick of it as i was

secondary issue: global wattman loses synch with the GPU and stops managing the performance. the gpu has a zero mode fan setup so if they lose contact with each other there is no fan cooling as the gpu comes under load. it gets extremely hot quickly and the pc locks up and restarts. as soon as the software is no longer running the gpu's internal setup takes over and the fans instantly ramp to 100% to try and save itself.

this seems to be most frequent for no apparent reason on 19.9.2, on 19.9.1 it's largely after running dx12. sadly the rift home software appears it might be dx12 so it's impossible to use VR and the vr home essentially launches itself on startup immediately crippling the pc. that is resolved by unplugging the VR setup. but i specifically bought the gpu for VR

after nearly 24 hours of trying to make the gpu stable this is what i can relay. in my current setup i'm about to try 19.7.5, outside of windows packaged ins my pc has exactly 3 pieces of software installed, firefox, epic games store and borderlands 3. i need help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
wrothbog
Adept I

i'm reasonably confident the 7201 bios from asus was at fault and that the card is now working flawlessly. i've played Zero Calibre and A-tech(VR), borderlands 3 for numerous hours, OculusHome. all have been smooth and perform on par or better than my 1080Ti, especially picture quality.

unfortunately i can't bring myself to reinstall skyrimVR. that's a major undertaking.

i have had no issues running freesync or RIS, MY problem was 100% the Bios best i can surmise.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
kingdata
Journeyman III

I have the same problems.

19.7.5 are "working" for me.

As a customer I must say how disappointed i am with the the drivers.

NEVER had this problems with team green!

Daniel

0 Likes
hexoblivione
Adept I

The lost sensors issue with DX12 -- for me it's definitely related to FreeSync and/or dual screen setup somehow.  I'm currently running with FreeSync disabled which is a workaround at least.  But, as I said in another post, there aren't a huge number of common factors between reports of this so I think it's just a silent driver crash that could be caused by anything.  I hadn't related it to DX12 but now I'm going to some additional testing.  What display/s are you running?

0 Likes
wrothbog
Adept I

I'm still not 100% convinced my issue is solved but so far it has been( needs more testing on dx12). a few hours after i made the topic i checked for Bios updates. Asus has a bios that specifically says disabled pci gen 4 support. an odd bulletpoint considering it's an x370 motherboard. however the gpu had been reporting itself as using pci gen 4. the new bios now causes the gpu to report pci gen 3.0 x16 and so far vr works (i haven't reinstalled much yet) borderlands 3 is running at ~80FPS with most settings on ultra at 75% of 4K and i've run youtube for hours while playing BL3 without any bsods, instability, overheating etc.

so in MY case the motherboard bios looks to have been at fault. specifically Asus possibily trying to make pci gen4 a feature when it shouldn't have been. hopefully my 36 hours of stress can benefit somebody else

Where were you seeing the card reporting as running on 4.0?  I'd like to look into that with my setup.

0 Likes

open radeon settings, top right tab "hardware" top right tab again "radeon blah blah" gives you the run down on everything from there. mine specifically says

bus type: PCI express 4.0

current bus settings: PCI Express 3.0 x16

i'm fairly certain the second qualifier wasn't there prior to the bios update so the card was attempting to run pci gen 4 on a non compliant motherboard. Asus might have thought their build quality was good enough to get away with that

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

You are probably having problems with 5700 XT GPU driver.

Use a single monitor with 60 or 120Hz.

Do not use AMD Radeon™ Image Sharpening or other display feature.
The GPU comes with a high voltage of 1200mV. The driver may not be ready for this yet. So decrease core clock speed by 100Mhz and voltage by 50mV with WattMan.
Ensure that the motherboard BIOS and drivers are up to date for running GPU properly.
Usage of VR may not be fully tested by AMD. Be sure to inform AMD of all your hardware and problems.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes
wrothbog
Adept I

i'm reasonably confident the 7201 bios from asus was at fault and that the card is now working flawlessly. i've played Zero Calibre and A-tech(VR), borderlands 3 for numerous hours, OculusHome. all have been smooth and perform on par or better than my 1080Ti, especially picture quality.

unfortunately i can't bring myself to reinstall skyrimVR. that's a major undertaking.

i have had no issues running freesync or RIS, MY problem was 100% the Bios best i can surmise.

0 Likes

Yes this was the cause as the board was not able to fully support Gen 4. 

0 Likes