jhy
Adept I

5700XT black screens

System:

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Asus PRIME B450M-K Bios version 2006
  • Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Radeon Software Version 20.5.1
  • Acer 24" Predator XF240H (Display Port connection 144hz)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Up to date)
  • Corsair 650W VS650
  • Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury, DDR4 3200MHz, CL18, 1.

Describe your issue:

• Black screens when watching video files, happens in both VLC and BSplayer, I was using Chromecast but happens also without. Whole computer goes unresponsive, I have to force shutdown from power button.
  • Event Viewer shows this "Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
  • Latest driver is installed after clearing with DDU
0 Likes
13 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Your driver is outdated. Please try updating to the latest, 20.9.1. 

Please select Additional Options > Factory Reset, prior to installing the new driver. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-...

0 Likes
xcloud11
Journeyman III

I have the same video card Asus 5700XT and i have latest driver 20.9.1 but still have black screens, i really dissapointed with amd drivers, i cant play in my 1440p monitor quiet for 20 min (-_-)

0 Likes

Try to do undervolt.

That solved my problem, which is just like yours. In Game at 1440p after a few minutes black screen.

Undervolt Like this youtuber:

How to OVERCLOCK and UNDERVOLT RX 5700XT | ADRENALIN 2020 Easy Guide, Tutorial - YouTube 

But Max power i havent maxed. it's Stock 0 on my video card.

I set my voltage to 1099. For me it's super stable and the performance has increased.

And please tell me if it solved your problem. I have a theory and I'm curious if it works.

0 Likes
satanael
Adept III

jhy

I Had The Same Exact Issue Sounds Like Driver incompatibility Issue to me.

Switch to HDMI Port and everything should be fine it will lock your Monitor to 120hz though but it will stop the crashes.

0 Likes
whitrise
Journeyman III

Maybe you need to install latest drivers with clean installation. I don't have this issues on my 5700 XT. Actually i don't really have most of the known issues even when i update drivers with or without factory reset option. Maybe this issues not completely AMD related.

0 Likes

Exactly which Asus RX5700XT model do you have?
Is it a STRIX with the cooler that falls off?

0 Likes

Do you have Asus GPU Tweak II installed?

MSI Afterburner?
Any other third party overclocking tool?
Uninstall them all. 
Then download latest version of DDU. Disconnect from internet. Run it in safe mode. Reboot. Install Adrenalin 2020 20.9.1.
Do not reconnect to the internet until Adrenalin 2020 20.9.1 is installed and you reboot your PC.

0 Likes

0 Likes
jhy
Adept I

Thanks for the replies. I updated to the latest drivers with factory reset and the crashing stopped but the display driver still stops responding from time to time with the event ID 4101. Crashing and black screen are fixed but occasional 'flicker' when the driver 'reboots'.

I do have MSI Afterburner installed but I have not used it for anything, installed it along with some monitoring tools.

0 Likes

RE:I do have MSI Afterburner installed but I have not used it for anything, installed it along with some monitoring tools.

Doesn't matter.
Get rid of it.

0 Likes

Uninstall MSI Afterburner and try driver install again.
Then test the driver.
If you just want RivaTuner stand alone for FRTC - you can get it here:
Guru3D RTSS Rivatuner Statistics Server Download 7.3.0 Beta 6 

0 Likes

Did not work, thanks for trying but probably switching to green pretty soon.

Oh, and sorry I have missed atleast one question in the thread. The GPU is the normal one, no extra bs STRIX or MEGAXDGAMING stuff.

I understand. 
Bye.

0 Likes