cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

shindze
Adept II

5700XT 875MHZ 144Hz monitor

how to solve the problem in which the memory frequencies operate at the maximum at 144 Hz monitor? At the same time, returning back to 120 everything comes back to normal. Wrote in support, special good for me this not gave

The new driver does not fix this issue

Monitor: Samsung c27jg50qqi
videocard: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Gaming OC 8GB

*All the latest updates and BIOS installed

1 Solution
shindze
Adept II

I solved the problem after so much time by simply replacing HDMI 2.0 with Displayport 1.4. Memory frequencies dropped from 1750 to 200! If you are not sure that changing the cable will help you, do not buy it in vain.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
hardreset
Elite

This problem probably occurs on all Radeon cards

144Hz elevated memory clocks at idle 

I have the same problem, it's best to submit it directly to AMD

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

Is there any hope of a fix at all when this error has held for perhaps several years?

0 Likes

We can issue a collective electricity bill for increased power consumption for 144Hz monitor users and send to AMD . LOL XD  

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

Cool, I'm interested! Still extra 30-60 Watt burns!  

0 Likes
shindze
Adept II

Oops,  Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Gaming OC 8GB Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB 

0 Likes
ikoj
Adept I

Try connecting hdmi 2.0 if you are using DP already,same problems happens on nvidia side,some reported hdmi fixes this problem,try it.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

144HZ requires a 875Mhz memory frequency and is expected behaviour. 

on the last video card from NVIDIA at 144 Hz, the memory did not work at full capacity

AMDMatte I think this is not true, if you create a custom resolution in the cru program for example 143Hz, memory timing are dropping. I just don't know why after creating such a custom resolution, the image is not very sharp, the letters are blurry

So I don't use such a custom resolution

0 Likes

This was the feedback received from engineering, it is expected behaviour.

0 Likes

I was trying to create a custom permission, for me it ended up permanently resetting the video driver, so I keep sitting on 120.

144 Hz is not normal, as noted above. AMD support in writing noted my problems and recognized that 875 MHz memory at 144hz monitor is not normal

Mine does not conform to 'expected behaviour' at all.  It's the opposite of expected.   144Hz runs at the low 2D Clock speeds.  120Hz runs at the full 3D Clock speeds (memory is overclocked).  This behaviour occurs on a R9 390, RX 580 and this GPU on 2 different systems but with the same display.  So my big assumption, with a test subject of just 1, is that it depends on the monitor.

Anyone has the Viewsonic XG2401 and has the same behaviour?

144Hz.PNG120Hz.PNG

0 Likes

If it would depend on the monitor, why not say so immediately? Still, in a constant load to keep the card is not very desirable. Knowing this, some would not buy these video cards ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So either some of the monitors are not compatible with AMD cards or the drivers are incompatible with 144Hz and 120Hz monitors.

I would bet that the drivers are not compatible

0 Likes

I have to disagree that this is normal behaviour, out of several reasons.

People report 875 hz at 75 hz monitor refresh rate. People report elevated memory clocks on several AMD cards, not only 5700 XT but also on Vega and Radeon VII. 

And people give feedback that they are able to have a normal idling memory clock at 100 hz while running a 144 hz monitor.

It is an issue related to monitors, it would seem, and some monitors are able to have normal 100 hz memory clock at their highest refresh rate, while on others the memory clock is stuck on max.

How can be this considered expected behaviour.

Also you find posts like these:

"Unfortunately the only solution is to use 17.1.1 driver(with RX580) which have “working” 75Hz, but losing all stability and performance optimisations. I haven’t been able to use any new driver since Windows 10 1903 release. I reported bug to AMD and it was debated on reddit and AMD community, but nothing so far."

This is from a user who experiences elevated memory clocks with RX 580 on 75 hz. RX 5700 XT does that as 144 hz. So some drivers are apparently showing a normal behaviour, while the new ones do not. 

0 Likes

Hello, my monitor is Samsung C27JG54QQI (WQHD 144Hz FreeSync) and GPU is MSI RX5700 EVOKE OC, previously (like a month ago) i had the same problem either with DP1.2a or HDMI 2.0, i don't know what i've done (i've done so much stuff to fix underclock issue i can't count), but now it's gone. My memory clock is 200 MHz even with 144Hz (FreeSync on or off it doesn't matter). What i'm trying to say that IT IS NOT EXPECTED behavior!

0 Likes

Yes. I also solved the problem after so much time by simply replacing HDMI 2.0 with Displayport 1.4. Memory frequencies dropped from 1750 to 200!

0 Likes
shindze
Adept II

I solved the problem after so much time by simply replacing HDMI 2.0 with Displayport 1.4. Memory frequencies dropped from 1750 to 200! If you are not sure that changing the cable will help you, do not buy it in vain.