cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

forestdream
Adept I

Re: 5700 XT hdmi sound drops cuts

I solved this problem by changing HDMI audio driver from AMD's to Windows 10 default.

1. Change HDMI audio driver to High Definition Audio Device

- Driver Provider : Microsoft

- Driver Date : 2019-03-18,

- Driver Version :10.0.18362.1

- Digital Signer : Microsoft Windows

- You can find this driver by choosing "Browse my computer~" and "pick from a list~".

2. Enable "HDMI Link assurance" in Radeon software.

3. Disable "Radeon Enhanced Sync" in Radeon software

4. Disable "Radeon Anti-Lag" in Radeon software

5. Disable "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" in TV setting.

Every setting may not be necessary. So, I recommend you to try one by one.

My Hardware information is in below.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
AMD Radeon RX 5700XT (Sapphire Pulse)
LG OLED 55 C8 GNA

0 Likes
xsile
Adept I

This is not a driver issue at all, this is a issue with the RX5700 chip.  Everyone using hdmi output for audio is having this issue with this card. AMD knows about this issue and it WAS listed as a known issue by AMD until it mysteriously dissipated without resolution. I speculated that it was removed because AMD does not want a mass of people returning their cards. Since my card has a 3 year warranty I will be returning it over and over until I either get my money back or a replacement that actually works. People say you can work around the issue with a displayport adapter but I do not see why I should have to go out an buy a special adapter when the 500 dollar card should work as advertised!

My system

MSI X370 sli plus

Ryzen 5 3600

32 gig kingston DDR4/3200 hyper X fury

MSI Radeon RX5700XT Mech OC

Onkyo HT-R398 5.1 dolby digital receiver

55" Samsung 4k UHD Curv Smart Tv

0 Likes
aarons915
Journeyman III

This is the weirdest problem and I'm not sure it can't be fixed as some have said because some nights I can go all night without a drop out while other times it does it every couple of minutes and is annoying as hell. I have mine hooked to a Denon receiver by HDMI. I've tried many suggestions and thought the HDMI link assurance fixed the problem as it was perfect all night then the next time I listened to music it was doing it again. One time my windows sound was set to stereo and I switched it to 5.1 and it was good the rest of the night. Today I noticed it was skipping in 5.1 and I changed it to stereo and haven't had a drop out for a long time so maybe just changing that setting is fixing it for the current session somehow? I have no idea why that would be but maybe others can try it and see if it works and if so explain how simply changing the audio setup in windows could fix this issue? 

0 Likes
xsile
Adept I

This is because there is a hard-coded issue with the chip that unless it is

under a certain amount of load it will cause the hdmi audio to drop. I

tested this theory by running a 3d mark while watching videos. During the

time the 3d mark was running there was zero audio drops. But as soon as 3d

mark ended it would start the audio drop.

aarons915
Journeyman III

I've read that as well but most of the time I'm actually playing a game while I listen to music so my video card is always under load in those scenarios and the sound still skips pretty regularly. I know it sounds weird but the only thing that seems to fix it is switching the windows audio configuration. I don't think it matters what it's set to, it seems that simply changing it resets something and the sound seems to work ok for that session.

0 Likes
gxcare
Adept I

In my experience the situation you described can be due to a software bug as well.

0 Likes
xsile
Adept I

That could be the case however AMD has known about this issue for over a year now and had several new drivers since and none of the drivers has fix the issue. So either AMD is incompetent or it is something more then a driver/software issue I prefer to believe that it is something more then a driver/software issue.

0 Likes
xsile
Adept I

I tried uninstalling the AMD hdmi audio and using the windows native hdmi audio driver however that also has audio drops for me and several others that thought it was a viable workaround only to have the issue pop up later. Also considering this issue is not brand specific aka msi, asus, sapphire, gigabyte etc.. all experience one common issue. Their Rx5700XT chips all have the audio drops and most if not all of these companies have their own card specific drivers. Given that commonality I can only think that it is a hardware issue with the 5700XT chip and not a software/driver issue.

0 Likes
aarons915
Journeyman III

I haven't tried that yet, that was going to be next. Going on 4 hours without a skip after simply changing from 5.1 to stereo lol...Not that stereo matters, as I said in the past I changed to 5.1 from stereo and also had no skips. 

0 Likes
5700xtsaviour
Journeyman III

I have the fix for this problem. Go to sounds-playback-amd Hdmi- then go to update- Choose from this pc- and don't select amd hdmi. Instead select Microsoft HDMI in the list and update to that. Immediately for me all the sound cutting out business stopped. I did a lot of searching and this was the fix. My videos are perfect, gaming is perfect, everything is spot on. Hope it helps you guys. 

0 Likes