cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jl5086
Elite

5700 XT display flashes 3 times at windows startup?

This is far from being a very big issue, but I wanted to note, and maybe get an answer for it.  Ever since I installed my new 5700 XT last summer, EVERY single time the windows login screen comes up, the screen flashes black, it is always one longer black flash followed by two faster quick flashes, and it happens the instant the login screen appears.  Strangely it only does it when booting from an OFF state, if I tell windows to RESTART the pc, then when the login screen comes up there is no flashing at all.

It never did this with any of my previous AMD cards, and if I put in my RX580 and boot, it has none of the flashes ever.  I thought at first it may be resolved once the bugs got worked out of the drivers for the, then, newly released 5700 cards.  I have since upgraded my power supply, so that seems to rule out a PSU issue.

I would like to know if anyone else has, or has ever had, this issue.

0 Likes
3 Replies

depending on the hardware installed, the screen may blank once or twice as the hardware scan completes. Windows checks for new devices as a routine part of the startup.

0 Likes

I have doubts about that being the cause in this case, since A) it never did it before this card was installed. and B) if I switch to my RX580, it never exhibits this behavior, at all.  But again, this is just a minor annoyance rather than a big problem.  Although, if there some underlying problem with my specific GPU, than I would really like to know sooner than later.

0 Likes

I agree it is peculiar but I have seen this with windows 10 myself when the machine boots sometimes