Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sexyappelsin
Adept I

5700 xt crashes

Intro

Hey, I've been having all sorts of crashing, screen flickering, etc. with my 5700 xt. These issues have been ongoing since I build my new PC. I'm on the latest drivers (20.1.2 released 15/01/20).

Issues

Both monitors become green and the computer restarts 5-10 seconds later. This happens all the time, even when I'm doing nothing like just sitting on my desktop or browsing Reddit on Chrome.

BOSD

Monitors won't turn on until after I've typed my password and logged (while the monitor is blank). Then the second monitor turns on and the main monitor shortly after.

PC crashed when I set FPS at 30 in Rocket League.

Multiple crashes in Minecraft.

Specs

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cH7WBZ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory 
Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil Video Card 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

(The power cable is 1 big cable that goes from the PSU and then splits into 2 connecters that I have put into the GPU)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan
Monitor: Samsung S27E390H 27.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor
Monitor: Samsung S27E390H 27.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor

What I've done until now

I have disabled all V-sync and enhanced sync things I could find in Radeon Software. I have updated drivers to the newest available. I have raged. I have changed monitor cables to see whether that was the problem and used a different PC with them, no problems there. I have made sure that the GPU is properly plugged in and that the power cable is properly put in. 

0 Likes
9 Replies
sanuvin
Journeyman III

new computer also and running two 5700xt

I have multiple monitors going and nothing but issues since day 1.

My old computer drove 8 monitors using AMD cards and only issue was when trying to do eye inifinity.

Now I have flickering, screens going black, screen is still there and active just not displaying anything.  Unlike some going black for a few seconds then turning back on mine go black until I do something major.  I have spent over $150 on new cables power cords etc... I have actually destroyed one of the monitors display port due to unplugging and plugging in so often. 

Normally every day I turn on my computer it takes me 30 minutes or more to get all the monitors active without issues. Computer going to sleep causes issues also.  Changing frequency, unplugging cables, changing ports on the monitor and card, disabling then enabling displays in windows, turning off v-sync etc... etc... etc..  all have varying effects.  Sometimes it fixes one monitor then another gets screwed. most the time they do nothing.  I come here to check the forums and I see the same issues and complaints from day one when the 5700 was introduced and still the issue persists.  I have been an AMD fan since day one but I think I am done. I can not spend 30 minutes every day to try and solve the issue, I have already destroyed one input port on a montior and afraid to continue to use the plug in and unplug method. 

This is 100% a driver issue! It is not a bios, cable, monitor, memory, mother board etc.. issue.

if I was a driver programmer for AMD I would be ashamed that this issue still exists for their flagship card. 

Only got my card 3 weeks ago and I've never run more than 2 monitors. But I also have difficulties getting my monitors to start with my PC without unplugging, same with sleep. I forgot to add that. I jumped on AMD from Nvidia so I thought it would be as easy to solve driver issues as it has been with Nvidia. Has AMD fixed driver issues before or do you think this is something we will have to deal with indefinitely?

0 Likes

I’ve been using AMD video cards all my life, I had about 10 of them, and for the first time I encountered such problems, I’m upset myself, I didn’t expect this by buying the brand new RX 5700, while trying to take my advice, I already helped a lot, I hope and I can do it, I'm sure that the amd team is aware of the problem and is working on its solution.

0 Likes

Have you tried disabling "fast start"?

Follow this guide, but reboot your computer after changing option:

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode 

Sorry for the late reply. I had to use another computer for some months and forgot about these issues. I have disabled fast start. Have you heard on any news about this issue with green screens and flickering? After updating drivers to the current ones I began getting loads of BOSD instead. I then changed PCIE settings in BIOS from auto to PCIEgen3 only and it has gone back to just being green screens.

0 Likes
cryengine36
Adept I

Hi, I'm from Russia, so I apologize for Google translator, I hope I can help you, your problem is in the video card, or rather in the drivers for it, my friend and I also have rx 5700, the same problem, I have already tried all the solutions , the only solution that they found was to install the old driver (for example, on 19.10.2 almost everything worked fine, checked together with more than 10 users with different systems and the same problems), I advise you to use the complete removal of the current driver via DDU and install s driver that I pointed out above,preferably put on a clean system, for most users with such a problem it helps, I hope I was useful, good luck! (I do not claim that this method will 100% solve the problem, but from personal experience, this option is suitable for most users.)

sanuvin
Journeyman III

disabled fast start .  did the ddu uninstall and using 19.10.2 and still issues.  I don't have the flickering happening anymore it seems  but the black screen on boot up still happens and when the monitor/computer goes to sleep.  When there was flickering it was on all the monitors attached to the same card. I found changing the frequency on one monitor was the best solution to fix that and usually on my C49RG9.

The black screen now is only happening on my two C49RG9 Samsung monitors.  Most the time both with 19.10.2.  I find the easiest way to fix is to disable the monitor using displayfusion monitor configuration apply then revert. If I use windows display settings to disable the monitor that fix doesn't work as often. Sometimes  I just need to do it on one monitor to get both working even though they are on different 57000xt cards.  Other times I need to do it on each monitor. Once in a blue moon only one of them is blacked out.  If that doesn't work after 2 or so tries of disabling, I then change the refresh rate using displayfusion. Once again not always the solution.  I now have it down to between 5-10 min of playing around to get all the monitors working after booting up. The good news is I am no longer unplugging cables!  Oh ya forgot to mention about a week ago there was one time I didn't have to do anything as all monitors worked correctly after boot up.  Just the one time in the history of this computer is kind of sad.

I definitely have a strange set up with once card driving 2 x 4k monitors and a 5k, the other driving a 5k,4k and 2560x1600 monitor.  Most the monitors I have only have 1 freq either 30hz or 60 while the C49 offers 120, 100 and 60.

A very rare occurrence is sometimes the monitor goes from black to partially awake when I try a fix.  Colored lines appear in random location on the monitor almost as if it was damaged or dropped and the wallpaper is extremely faded with very strange colors.  Another disable or frequency change fixes that issue.

I'm sad to hear you haven't found any solutions yet. Has this changed in the last 6 months? Have you heard on any news about this issue with green screens and flickering? After updating drivers to the current ones I began getting loads of BOSD instead. I then changed PCIE settings in BIOS from auto to PCIEgen3 only and it has gone back to just being green screens. Yet I still have this problem. Good luck with fixing the issue, please write to me if you ever find a fix.

0 Likes
Hanoce
Journeyman III

Hi Could you check your fans on the graphics card and see if they are spinning?  Only asking because I have the power color RX 5700 XT and with the AMD Radeon Software it seems to be a common issue that it doesn’t control the fans properly.  I have contact AMD about this issue many times but they seem to ignore this issue.  You can however correct this by opening the Radeon software and going to the performance tab.  Then open the tuning tab and enable the fan tuning and also the advanced control and apply settings.  With these two enabled your fans should now work. 

Regards 

Hanoce  

0 Likes