cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rillan
Adept I

5700 Navi Clock frequency down clocking & fluctuating causing stuttering and poor performance

Hello, i've bought RX 5700 two months ago and game to game im constantly observe downclocking issue, im tired tbh...

I was playing Gears 5 for 2 days straight, my thoughts at first was that game is heavy, that my gpu isn't strong enough for WQHD you know... I was constantly telling myself that 25-30 fps on ultra is ok BUT THEN i've saw this guy's video on youtube and i was really surprised. From that point i've tried a couple different drivers (20.2.1, 19.12.2, 19.10.1 - i've always using DDU in safe mode) even chipset drivers (didn't do anything), tried HDMI 2.0 cable, tried without FreeSync, tried with different power plans (Ryzen Balanced, Win10 Balanced, High perf - none of them fixed downclocking).

I have never used Chill, EnhancedSync, Anti-Lag, Image Sharpening.

My PC specs:

Windows 10 Home x64 1909

PSU: Corsair RM 650x

MB: Gigabyte B450m DS3H

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 stock 3.4 GHz (tried 3.9 GHz allcore OC, didn't fix anything)

RAM: 8 GB x2 hynix MFR OCed to 2933 MHz (i've tried it stock 2133, no result)

GPU: MSI RX 5700 EVOKE OC

Monitor: Samsung C27JG54QQI (WQHD VA 144 Hz, DP 1.2a, tried HDMI 2.0), i've tried without FreeSync - didn't fix anything.

I DON'T HAVE ANY BLACKSCREENS AT ALL (never single one)

i've uploaded an example of downclocking issue.

1 Solution
rillan
Adept I

I've solved my problem - reverted my bios version to agesa pinnaclePi 1.0.0.6 (F4 bios)

Now my benchmark in Gears 5 looks like this (i still have some downclock issues - but now the range is more narrow from around 1000 MHz to 1700). Isn't this indicates that problem is Ryzen CPU?

All i've changed is just reverted BIOS version (first screenshot with AGESA ComboPI 1.0.0.4B, second with AGESA PinnaclePI 1.0.0.6)

f50.pngX1VHD0Eg5Bc.jpg

View solution in original post

116 Replies

I have the same problem as mentioned above.

r5 3600

xfx rx 5700 xt thicc II (20.2.1)

gigaybte x570 aourus elite rev 1 (bios f11)

650w

2x8gb corsair rgb pro 3200 mhz

win 10 pro 10.0.18363 build 18363

The gpu is underclocking and seems to underestimate games like Fortnite or Apex Legends even though Ark:survival evolved is working fine with normal speeds/clocks.

0 Likes

Please update to Adrenalin 20.2.2 and let me know if you still experience this issue on the 5700 series. www.amd.com/drivers.

0 Likes

No difference.

0 Likes

3 months since last AMD insight in this thread.

Just bought a Sapphire Pulse RX5600XT and I can't enjoy constant 144+ fps in apex legends low settings (fps uncaped with an origin launch options command, other wise, the game is capped at your monitor refresh rate by default).

Frame rate drops below 144 rly often. Pulling down: clock, GPU usage and power to low values all at the same time.

The only place I got decent gpu usage is in the menu (95%)

While in game, I'm between 30% and 70%

That's so dumb.

All temps are cool.

No CPU bottleneck (Ryzen 7 1700 at 3.5ghz), no Ram bottleneck, PSU can deliver 650W.

PC fully updated with recommendeds, hardware, software and OS wise.

No Vsync anywhere.

Did you AMD really made nothing to work this around yet ?

Can you please tell the truth ?

0 Likes

The vast majority of people writing on this page think that they have problems due to the driver but this is not the truth. The truth is that the vast majority of people writing to this page are having trouble with the single core performance of their CPUs not enough for the game and the Radeon driver not having good ms delay according to this performance and the game. That's it! If you want to get higher FPS for a game like Apex, it would be better to use an Intel processor that can go up to 5Ghz and a graphics card using nVidia GPU.

0 Likes

I monitor max single thread usage and it never hits 100%.

0 Likes

I couldn't explain this as you can understand. Sorry. I will explain this to you with that... Your Ryzen 1700 processor and Radeon driver have an average CPU ms delay for the Apex game. And even if you drop the graphic details, the maximum FPS you get according to this ms delay will not change. Also when you drop the graphic details, your GPU usage is extremely low and the GPU core frequency does not turbo itself. Also, the speed of your processor is important, not the rate of usage... I hope you could understand for this time.

0 Likes

Really? You think it's because of CPU (single performance)?

I'm having "micro" stutterring in PUBG, "constant" stuterring in Watch Dogs 2 and House Flipper. I was using GTX 1660 Super and i have no problem at all.

No stutterring, no FPS drops, and most importantly GPU Utilization never lower than 60%, but when i switched to RX 5600XT, i got those issues.

So your "nice" generalization doesn't work for me mate.

0 Likes

I did not write the above for you. Also re-read what I wrote. I have worked hard with those who have trouble understanding today. I did not write that the best single-core processor solves the problem. I wrote that BETTER. Also, the stuttering problem you're experiencing has nothing to do with the GPU core clock speed or CPU or others. Similar problems may arise if GPU produces excessive FPS.

0 Likes

What is called the spec of "average CPU ms delay for the game" ?

0 Likes

FPS values for games are determined by CPU and GPU ms values. Whichever is higher, you get FPS accordingly. Your CPU ms delay is higher than GPU and this is why I understand that you cannot get high FPS.

0 Likes

Is it related to windows timer resolution or High Precision Event Timer ?

0 Likes

No. The ms value generated by your processor according to the Radeon driver. The timer resolution you specified is different.

0 Likes

Thank you for your replies, could you give any source ?

0 Likes

No, I cannot give a source to you. This forum site is already blocking my links. After I was examining this forum page in more detail, it is possible to rank the problems as follows...
+ The problem of not getting more FPS problem because of CPU core speed is not enough for the game. (For example: Apex not giving high FPS problem.)
+ Excessive stuttering issue in games because of DX9 API. (For Example: GTA4 stuttering problem.)

+ DX9 stuttering problem because of game windowing. (For Example: Life is Strange stuttering problem.)

+ High FPS stuttering problems.

+ DX11 stuttering problem because of shader cache.
+ Game windowing issues.

I realized that I was wrong by generalizing. There are people with very different problems on this forum page. I just wrote it for you because your error is so obvious.

Goodbye...

0 Likes

Thank you sir
Since you can't post URLs, could you please paste a sentence picked from your source threads so I can google it ?

Excuse me. I couldn't find a proper link. But I am sharing an example for you as a source for this situation with a benchmark screenshot. That picture was taken from Shadow of Tomb Raider benchmark.

sottr.png

CPU average FPS is 154.
GPU average FPS is 114.
And for GPU and CPU, you can look at the delay table in milliseconds (so ms). According to the table, the GPU delay is higher than CPU and the GPU limits the average FPS.
So... With high probability, your situation is the opposite for the Apex game. And you are having GPU frequency drop issue. 

0 Likes

Now I am sharing an similar example to your situation for you for the same system and for the same game. The first example was for 1080p high details. Now for 720p low details...
sottr2.png

CPU average FPS is 159.
GPU average FPS is 211.

CPU latency is higher than GPU if you look at the delay table. For this example, the CPU is limiting the average FPS so the opposite like yours. And with high probability you cannot get high FPS for the Apex game by making the graphics low like this example. I could not give a source. However, I hope that there is no need for a source for you.

Goodbye...

0 Likes

Let us know what they investigated please, and what they say.

Its my first AMD card (Saphire Nitro+ 5700XT) and im so skeptical with your reply amdmatt‌, If I'm not mistaken this card has been out for around 7 months correct?

And you are telling me that all feedback is being passed onto engineering for investigation so ovbiously they had no idea this issues existed for the past 7 months correct?

In the end I'm thinking why does AMD take so long to fix those issues and provide a driver update? maybe they don't even know how to fix them and we are all left with a piece of hardware that has no software..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has the same powerplay crap built-in to the VII, its a complete joke. They have removed the Power Efficiency options for the new GPU's and even removed the setting for the FuryX on the 20.x.x driver.

Without the power options back, the card is a dud.

'Power Efficiency' was an option that when disabled, prevented the core/mem from downclocking, it was brilliant 2016-2019.

0 Likes
sfbf
Adept I

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • ROG-STRIX-RX5500XT-O8G-GAMING
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Win 10 1909 all updates installed
  • Driver version installed
    • Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Optional
    • (tried older drivers too, same result)
  • Display Devices
    • HP z24i @60Hz, Displayport, FullHD
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • P8H67-V Bios 3707
    • (2nd system: ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING)
  • CPU/APU 
    • Intel i5 2400
    • (2nd system: Ryzen 3600)
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • be quiet! Straight Power 11 CM 450W, bought in august 2019
    • 2nd system: Corsair SF450 Platinum SFX 450W, also from august 2019
  • RAM
    • 12GB ddr3
    • 2nd system: 16GB ddr4

Describe your issue:

• When playing weaker games the clock won't go up if needed and games are stuttering. It's better when VSync is off but still not perfect - of course screen tearing is horrible then. Tried "Life is strange", "GTA V", "Skyrim", "Rise of the Tomb Raider". The stronger the game, the less problems, Tomb Raider is almost perfect. Life is strange is horrible.
  • What I tried:
    • removed driver (Display Driver Uninstaller)
    • tried older drivers too 
    • did a clean installation of Windows 10 and didn't change anything in OS or drivers, but the problem still exists
    • tried with two different systems (see above), same result

I made two videos of my problem. One with VSync enabled and one with VSync disabled so that you can see I'm always above 60fps if the clock is higher and my other hardware doesn't limit performance. The videos are captured using my weaker system (green color) and the latest driver (reseted to default). 
Interesting note: Using the driver before the latest driver my clock fluctuated, this is much more stable now. Nevertheless nothing changed based on fps...

Sorry for bad quality, just watch the fps counter.

AMD RX 5500 XT massive fps issues "Life Is Strange" VSync on - YouTube 

AMD RX 5500 XT "Life Is Strange" Vsync off - YouTube 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Comment edited to preserve sanity.

I've tried to get this issue resolved for months now, so if you just purchased the GPU, I would recommend you get refund asap.

kapusij
Adept I

Hey All,

I'm experiencing the same. I realized an odd thing with APEX Legends.

On Firing Range I'm getting GPU usage above 90%, but on World's Edge it's usually between 50-70% which is causing major FPS loss.
Could you please check whether you are experiencing the same discrepancy between the two maps in terms of GPU usage %?

did you find solution m8?

0 Likes

Yes, the OP marked his own post as correct and fixing the issue. 

If you are experiencing an issue with your GPU, please start a new discussion and provide the following information. 

https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

0 Likes

Any updates on why am I stuttering on 240hz monitor with freesync?

0 Likes
kuski
Journeyman III

I have rx 5600 xt and have this problem in world of tanks. I noticed recently that Im getting lower fps so I opened gpu-z and saw that I get lower clock speeds. (1400-1600 mhz) I have all settings at stock too. I decided to try encore benchmark and indeed I'm getting lower score than before. I tried to max out my core clock and power limit in wattman and the clock speeds seems to be at 1750 mhz (reported by gpu-z) while I benchmarked encore, but the results didn't improve at all. This is really weird problem.

0 Likes

The clock speeds seems to act normally when I play modern  warfare though...

0 Likes

same for me, but warzone crashes for me some seconds into the game. Mostly it crahes inside the plane sometimes few seconds later. Only problems with rx 5700xt

0 Likes
c2c
Adept II

Thanks for this post guys. Similar experience to me on my Vega VII which I've now cracked; we had a thread going on TPU if anyone else has this problem as I believe it's solved for now but only disabling radeon adrenaline drivers so they still need to fix! (very disappointing): Radeon VII - 1650MHz GPU clock in full screen, full speed in windowed | TechPowerUp Forums 

baepe
Adept III

I play black desert online and experience stuttering and downclocking when I otherwise get great fps. I have a 2600 teamforce 3200mhz 23b ram and a 5700XT msi tomahawk b450 max motherboard. Please AMD get it together. Stop releasing useless features that nobody cares about and release stable software. I don't know who your product managers are but maybe have them do something else and hire a few from nvidia?

reese322
Adept I

Same problem here. I just got a 5700 XT Nitro+ and its gpu usage is between 30 and 70% on every game. Already tried a lot different drivers and fixes, nothing works. The steps suggested by gaav‌ improve the problem on ultra settings in some games, but still stutters. I prefer to play on higher fps and lower  settings so it's not a solution for me.  

Setup: 2600, G skill 3000mhz 16gb,  ASrock AB350 K4, Sapphire 5700 XT

This is really unacceptable, please provide a fix asap, I really don't want to return this card.

0 Likes
pimboril
Adept I

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Gigabyte RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6GB
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Win 10 1909 all updates installed
  • Driver version installed
    • Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Optional
    • (tried 21.1.3 and 21.2.1 being the 21.1.3 the most stable)
  • Display Devices
    • LG 24gl600f 144HZ
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Asus PRIME-B450M-A bios 2006
  • CPU/APU 
    • ryzen 5 3600
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Gigabyte 650w
  • RAM
    • 16GB DDR4

Describe your issue:

• The card is downclocking itself in all games. that destroy the fps
    Im getting so many black screens and Black screens with pc hangs to hard resets....there times where this error make my PC obsolete. i cant even work!
    The blacks screens are :
    -after windows loading.
    -at the log in screen (hang +black screen +hard reset
    -playing games (pubg, warzone)

• What I tried:
    • All drivers available to 5600xt
      -disabling ulps
      -shuting down radeon software

Cant believe this

0 Likes
sfbf
Adept I

Nothing changed with driver version 20.3.1. Come on. Do you really want me to never buy AMD stuff again?

0 Likes
reese322
Adept I

Installed 20.3.1 drivers and the issue is still there. Come on amd, are you working on it?

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

try pushing fans to 100% to see if any difference

on my VII drivers downclock when i try to oc and when the fans are at default

0 Likes
reese322
Adept I

pushing fans to 100% doesn't work. Also tried another 60hz HDMI monitor and gpu usage is still low.

0 Likes
sfbf
Adept I

Another driver, another disappointment.
I catched myself looking for Nvidia cards the last few weeks. It's really sad. But when I see the problem already exists back to the release of 5700XT, what else can I do. 

One more driver, than I'm done. 

0 Likes
misteright
Adept II

Hey just realized i also had this problem with my MSI RX 5600 XT MECH OC. The problem is on all fixed 60fps games for example MK11, DOA6, NUNS4. I got a lot of fps drop in that game when playing 1440p~ resolution.

It also happened with GTA V though when playing at 1800p sometimes it will hit max core clock and i get 70~ fps but sometimes it go down at about 500~mhz and all i got is about 40fps. So my card is not broken after all, it's the driver. Glad i'm not RMAing it at this moment.

0 Likes