cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

AtomWarz
Adept I

5500xt Screen Flashes to Black Repeatedly

Hi, So I was building a system for a friend we got everything working it booted into windows and has been working but then the problems started. The monitor flashes from the normal picture to a black screen randomly. This has been going on for a good week and he is was only able to do it because one driver did not cause it to freak out as often. Now he is at his wit's end and is getting ready to get rid of the card. We have tried a different monitor with lots of different drivers and nothing works. What can he do to fix it. Could it be a bad card or should we do a full wipe on his computer. Please help.

Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600

Gpu: Asrock 5500xt 8GB Factory Overclocked

PSU: Corsair 600W

Mobo: B450 Gigabyte Auorus Elite V2

Ram: 16GB Gskill Ripjaws

6 Replies
ryrx
Adept II

Remove the drivers with DDU(https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,1.html) and make sure to run it from safe mode.
Next, try 20.9.2 or 20.9.1 version. It's here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-5500-series/amd-radeon-rx-5500-s... - just select your OS.
When you remove display drivers with DDU don't restart. Go to the drop down menu and also select to remove everything for Intel and nVidia too, and then restart. 

Thank you for getting back to me but he did it and now he says it is much worse. Now it flashes much more often.

Could it be the monitor I forgot to mention the fact that it was using VGA with a converter to display port?

VGA...oof. Talking from my own experience i know that old hardware doesn't play well with a newer gpu's, so that's the first thing i would check. Make sure to test it with some newer monitor or tv that has HDMI or DP. Oh and i would update bios on that motherboard. I'm not sure if all b450 boards run as they should out of the box with a Ryzen2000 series cpu's.

VGA is not supported - as the analog pixel clock (its a small chip on the graphics card) is missing since the Radeon HD7000 series... (also Nvidia doesnt have it anymore - also since decades)

buy a nice 144hz 1ms FreeSync 24" or 27" monitor for 200 bucks and you will be happy

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

Thank you for your response. I never considered that until now but it makes sense. He will be getting a new monitor this was a free one just to tide him over. Thank you