cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pokester
MVP

Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and AMD drivers not working. unable to load windows.

Jump to solution

You knows since you are thinking it is a service starting issue. There are many delayed start utilities that make it easy to play around with changing the timings on when a service starts or before or after another. I know I have many times where it is just like to many things trying to start at the same time it overwhelms the system.

0 Likes
atlasminor
Challenger

Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and AMD drivers not working. unable to load windows.

Jump to solution

EH That's was typo ment Linux*** instead of lineu, sorry about that, and havnt touched it since 1607.

Well, if you got Hirens, you still have a working Boot Recovery with GParted as a option. Great to burn in a GPT Hierarchy format onto a drive that Win10 cant avoid.

You may a DMA(direct memory access) conflict, it isn't to serious, its just what Microsoft ends up doing every new build, updating the Protective Services to Block what you manufacture has Factory Locked access to Closed/Open dma points on the bord/system.

That to will be firmware related, but you can get around it by disabling all the Win10 protection checks, that happen at Post/SecureBoot/TPM/Lockscreen and finally Desktop Defender checks by adding this dwnwrd32

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\Pci]

"DisableExternalDMAUnderLock"=dword:00000001

I just copy/pasted my exported, among many to save the countless hours it would take to dig through all the poo <.<.

Just set it from 0 to 1 to disable. Just one of many possibles that might be getting in the way.

So what it is most likely is there is Upper User Mode Level access and Kernel Mode access in both your drivers and all software that need to access the dma at all times, as fast as seamless and is checked at every point I mentioned starting at Post, because we eliminated FastBoot to the WindowsDefender debacle … mess is what that thing is, and it too needed to be Factory matched and locked. So your Hardware has the correct protections on it, just need to keep windows-10 from trying to either Open or Close whats been factory locked to meet what was the older build standards. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Jump to solution

Added Info. been messing with some things again. noticed that some runtimes are causing the black screen to happen, how i found out was because i didn't have the 2015 C++ installed but wouldn't allow me too install it because 2017 was installed. uninstalled 2017, installed 2015 and restarted then it happened. but this time it seemed to have messed with my GPU drivers. so i had to uninstall the driver in safe mode, then restarted. re-installed 2017, then installed the AMD driver and no issues.

pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

The trick you run into sometimes with reinstalling those runtimes is that when you install them again you need to also then run Windows update and let them update them again, then install the later runtime and run Win update again. Sometimes the installers are not the latest. But you did right. You have to do them in order sometimes or it just gets messed up.

0 Likes
atlasminor
Challenger

Jump to solution

You also might be having a framework 3.5 / 4.0 merge issue, those older runtimes 2015 and below all tend latch hold to 3.5 rather than installing onto 4.0 like they should ...

apparently Microsoft still has major VB issues but not as bad as it was were they would unpack and install directly onto the C: drive and just start creating it's own folders...

You can try to do what I did to correct that issue which is lookup the actual PowerShell User Feature commands , head to Directory Repair and disable / re-enable the framework features and allow them to reinstall/repair and re-update themselves. Not 100% guaranteed to work, could cause more problems than it fixes, and it has to be performed in a certain order with power-user enabled, like the ones that allow SafeMode install options enabled, something Home Edition has blocked/disabled by default but still can be overwritten, along with all Pro features such as Group Policy Editor to be installed, they are just hidden and disabled by default on the Home Edition.

But glad your working it out. 

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Jump to solution

yeah, they can be problematic.
i'll have to try that when i get the chance.
eh, just randomly doing things to see what happens here and there then basically report back here in case anyone else gets it and such. so far, yeah still can get the black screen but avoid using everything that causes it for now.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 unable to load windows. black screen on boot/infinite loading screen on boot.

Jump to solution

I just done this update fairing black screen issue but carried over ok. On my own build, disable fast boot in bios & can be done in the OS to had no issues but I havnt shut down either incase. Its a better than 1709 ever was but not a fan of it tho. tho got a m8 having issues so it case by case tho I have updated 3 successfully & my partners laptop. The lastest hotfixs on update package that comes with it fixs issues. Tho I am on my personal using 18.2.1 drivers , I want whql drivers before I try new drivers. But have found its bit hit or miss tho all mine run on 10 Pro so rarely have the issues where some come from Home edition.

0 Likes
atlasminor
Challenger

Jump to solution

1803 seems way more stable then the previous builds , TBH I opt-in to using older drivers vs trying newer versions because its never clear which (build) the drivers were actually intended for.

Manufactures are updating firmware for both Motherboards and GPU's monthly, at least Gigabyte updates monthly, EVGA and MSI close to quartly and I just gave up on Asus lmao...

Asus good at making something that's now now, but go total Dark)(Helmet for when the next happens,then I think they choke or something. Unconfirmed.

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Jump to solution

yeah, i usually wait a month or so on drivers but got a little... complacent with the driver's lately the last couple years for what i have to not worry about it. but... that's what happens lol. but no for my end i did try older and such, had no changes. definitely seems to vary between builds and devices and even certain software installed.

wish mine still did... last update for majority of my stuff was in 2015 and 2016... except the "BIOS-Utility" a thing called "BRenamer!" which is not used was updated in 2017 lol. go limited support... usually 3-5 years depending on many factors such as popularity and such then it's ignored lol. but that is good to know that gigabyte does monthly as if i ever some how am able to get work or money i was planning on getting a gigabyte aurous gaming 7 MOBO with a i7-8700k.

well, i use to mainly go for asus but yeah... noticed... they need a LOT of... well work on software lol. hardware they seem to do pretty damn good, why using their MOBO's tend to be best for OC'ing CPU's.

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Jump to solution

yeah, that's why i was testing everything i could to both cause and fix the black screen and restart or shutdown every time to make sure it worked before posting my findings on here. yeah i did try that trick. found literally all the tricks i could and only the one i talked about above worked. nothing else made any differences or changes to this. but as i mentioned before. this definitely seems to vary between builds(hardware) and even softwares(including drivers to ANYTHING plugged in) installed. i'm using Win10Pro also. but even found tricks a few months back too as this issue from the looks of it has been on the preview build for about 6 months or so before it even became live. but glad your not having too much problems with it. once i found a fix for my end i've been fine with it also. i just have to be on guard every time i update something or add something now lol.

0 Likes