cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bobcamo
Adept II

Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and AMD drivers not working. unable to load windows.

Jump to solution

well, as i just said to the person above you "atlasminor" this happened even when i did the preview build before it became an actual update about a week or so before the update became live. so for my end it definitely seems to be how it's installed for some reason...   but that's why i'm about to re-install to see if it works or not.

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and AMD drivers not working. unable to load windows.

Jump to solution

ok, just got done re-installing wondows 10 pro x64 by downloading the "Media Creation Tool" so it'll auto everything to my USB drive. so far everything has installed to the newest windows and very little updates(shockingly). now i only installed all drivers, runtimes, ccleaner, chrome, adobe stuff. pretty much MY basics before installing other software. everything worked great, no problems. then i did a cleaning with 4 cleaners for a test. cleaning with ccleaner, IObit Advanced system care, IObit driver booster(yes it has one cleaning option i use in it), and IO Uninstaller. everything ran great still until i restarted and got the infinite loading screen. but went into safemode again and only uninstalled the driver to which ever ONE monitor is showing up. restarted and works fine. no problems since but i think the cleaners are removing something that i'm needing for my monitor, but also doesn't seem to matter if i unplug one and switch, which is odd... but i think the cleaner that may be causing it for me on that specific thing is in Driver booster i use the "Clean unplugged device data" which never had problems before but that seems to be what it may be. but i will do test's in a few after i get done with this post to test which specific things are messing with it. but overall, the other issues i was having are gone with a fresh install.

EDIT:
Nope, was CCleaner. but only when i select these under "System"  DNS Cache, Font Cache, Start Menu Shortcuts and Desktop Shortcuts. doing more testing to make sure of this.

So far, narrowed it down to the only option of those 4, the Font Cache is what's causing my infinite loading screen when cleaned. doesn't seem to do it on any advanced options, even tested the built in disk cleanup and none affected it.

Well, even installed the driver's for my monitors since this time windows is actually updating them instead of them saying generic PNP. but the monitors i'm using are ACER H233H monitor - HDMI  and   HP Compaq LA2205 Wide LCD Monitor - DP(Displayport). when i boot into safemode the HP one shows and that's the one i have to uninstall to start up after doing the font cache clean. so not sure what all this may mean. but so far everything works just fine if the font cache isn't cleaned. i guess just be careful which cleaner's your using til the cleaners are updated if not windows if not both.

Forgot to mention that i did test IObit Advanced system care and selected EVERYTHING for the cleaning. didn't mess with anything like what ccleaner was causing with the one item.

pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

If you would not mind you should let Piriform know what you  found. I am sure they would like this information. Good job nailing it down.

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Jump to solution

was thinking about it. odd thing is i just got done installing all the other software i normally install and it happened again but i didn't run ANY cleaners lol. but just did the usual steps and fine again.

EDIT:
Lol, well, now a quality update for windows just showed up out of the blue and i'm unable to install it due to every time i try to, it needs a restart but causes the infinite loading screen on top of it. even tried to restart strait into safemode but it instantly cancels out the update. update showing in windows update "2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4103721)" ugh. well guess no more updates for me unless i'm forced to do another clean install lol. funny thing is... wonder if it's an update of what we're all or some of us are having yet, it triggers lol. but went to the info of it and it's says it's a security update... but in windows updates it say's its a quality update.

0 Likes
atlasminor
Challenger

Jump to solution

Roger that, i had a few backups on same Physical Drive , and 1803 nuke them all, i do have my offline backup drive, but anyways, i went looking through error reports myself, some of didnt make sense,

So,

You can try to do what i did and start full directory repairs, i myself had to repair / Add over 400 DLL's, but i managed to get 1803 to run error free aftwards,

Seems like they have broken Safemode in 1803 and SafeMode with Networking, Select SafeMode ACTIVE Directory Repair, you should have a ton of hidden stuck AMD drivers show up, get rid of those

All your uninstallers / and Installers will now work in Active Directpry Repair Mode. From there its up to the tech on what to do, Your also going to want to use msconfig , Select make Boot Options Permenant, Disable Fastboot in UEFI only, not fastStartup and Disable the Boot Loaders GUI,

Only noticeable is the little Wheel disappaers on reboots, you will still get a wheel loader animation during ColdBoot

This isnt crazy, reboot to desktop after configuring all that first THEN run CMD Admin prompt type:

powercfg /h type REDUCED

chkdsk /f

Reboot , then finally go to safemode Active Directory Repair.

The disk check will save your current config to Windows-10's FastStartUp Image. If not to unconfortable with the idea

Leave Fastboot disabled in UEFI and SecureBoot Enabled.

Think they broke that to ... but on some of my older systems that part has been broken since 1607...

GL man, its a fun ride if you follow through. Install all your stuff in that mode and keep boot looping using active repair, you will notice your desktop Wallpaper is first installed onto it, but your wifi should start working, different hardware that had problems will now work, ect...

Cheers

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Jump to solution

Added notes found.
went further back into this windows update.if your are getting an infinite loading screen/splash screen on boot for update 1803 and have an intel CPU, apparently turning OFF your vt-d/Intel Virtualization Technology seems to help some. tried my end even though i have AMD, but no dice for me. but may work with others with or without Specific CPU's.

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Jump to solution

HOLY CRAP!!! think i figured it out... finally found a decent thing for my end which so far has fixed the black screen before login completely...
First. i'd like to say... WOW is there so much blame on GPU driver's in general when none of that worked even before i searched it up... granted i didn't help on that till testing more.
Second, Guess which service it was... "Advanced SystemCare Service 11"
ok, this may not work for everyone but so far the same things i used to CAUSE the black screen of death(yes that's what this is called apparently. BSOD either way...) have not caused it since i have done this.
Here is the link to which i found and followed.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Scroll down til you see a section in big bold lettering named "How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot", under that click on the drop down menu which looks like a link named "Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8" that's the steps i fallowed. read the steps there then go ahead and read my tips below.
now for a faster determination if it even IS a Service causing it, once on step 5 click the button that says "Disable all", then Apply, then OK, if your able to cause the black screen, do that before hitting the restart button on the small window that shows up after hitting OK and do not check the box either on that same window. if it windows starts up fine with no black screen, then it's a non-windows process then continue on from step 5. if not, continue on to the windows process part, if neither then it's not a process and something else is causing it.
if it's not the above, many have constantly opted to reference to reverting windows back and blocking the update. other's there is many fixes and so on that randomly has helped. here is what i typed into google( windows 10 1803 black screen boot problems  ) to find all the things I've tried and tested and no differences for my end. pretty much a few of the links shown may lead to other forums with more link in them, which... may have to be done... yes... i have been at this since 10pm last night and finally got done now at... 6:20am and was working on it a few hours before 10 but wasn't paying attention to time... lol. think i started from my last post about the windows update not installing right. just giving an idea of what to expect if nothing in this thread helps... but still trying to make it less on everyone the best i can.

Well. hopefully this does help anyone. i will keep an eye on this post the best i can.

Edit:
keep in mind i have a feeling the process fix may change with each update of windows or even program update or additional program installed. overall, this again is an update probably best waited on for apparently at least 3-6 more months of it being out of what many have said...

Yeah... after that windows update that i was unable to update too before(couple post's ago) i started getting the black screen again the same way. sadly... i may only have like 3 services or so that are in there that i can actually disable. the rest... i have to have enabled other wise the program wont even run after windows is booted. so i'm just disabling all non windows services, do my cleanings, restart, then once back into windows, re-enable them all again, then restart and so far this has been working for me. which may indicate the service might be able to be fixed one of two ways I've noticed which may not make a difference on the black screen appearance. some programs if you try to run after disabling it's service and restarting may ask to re-install the service. other way is to re-install the program. neither of these may work. but there is a chance which is why i'm mentioning it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Good to know. AMD gets a lot of blame for stuff they don't control. Definitely a mix of real issues and assumed issues when it comes to the bad opinions people have of their drivers.  Let iobit know what you found too then. Thanks!

atlasminor
Challenger

Re: Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 unable to load windows. black screen on boot/infinite loading screen on boot.

Jump to solution

Glad you were able to resolve your problem, ive looked at ASC before, has a nice look to it, but like other known commercial System Tweaker/Cleaners, they fail to stay updated.

Did not know you  didn't have a clean install, I think I would consider Hirens before trying anything along a cleaners lineu and Hirens hasn't been updated since Mint-15 …

Along with new Atmos getting a ton of stuff to rid of a system, your sound services that installed through your sound packages may have a conflict with the now impossible to uninstall MixedReality, you can uninstall the 3DViewer, but mixed is baked in like edge, which I found commercially unlawful. (imo)

0 Likes
bobcamo
Adept II

Jump to solution

well, i resolved it til changes were made and it started back up again but didn't feel like restarting my PC 15 times again to find the other or different service that is now affecting my restart lol. why if it happens i'm just doing them all.
yeah they do seem to be behind at times. why CCleaner has always been my go-to.

to the clean install part. yeah i was shortly before i updated to 1803, was only a week old then when this all started i did it again lol.
Hirens, god i haven't heard that in a long while and haven't used it in 5 years. Lineu? never heard of that that i know of.
Yeah... there is a few things like that on here sadly.

0 Likes