cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

frallankung
Journeyman III

2x Radeon HD 7900 Series, 18.2.2 Adrenalin update + PUBG - Did it break my second graphics card?

Hello AMD and community,

Hope you're all well.

My specs:

-    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

12 GB RAM

-    2 x AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.2.2

-    2 x AOC E2770SH 27" 1920x1080 screens, 1 ms, 60hz

I've never had any issues with games prior to downloading PUBG (Player Uknown's Battlegrounds) in late January. At first I was able to run it just about fine on either high or ultra settings with only minor lag. Then came the Windows Creator update, the PUBG and Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.2.2 - and since the experience has sucked.

The game started lagging horribly and going from high/ultra on windowless, I had to "downgrade" to fullscreen and very low on all. I had a friend over and he told me to make sure my drivers were updated - I knew from before my dual screens would muck up during and after driver updates so I was cautious but did it anyway. We tried messing about a bit in the Radeon Settings but it would only make the game crash completely along with the Radeon Settings module.

The game started to (and still does) flicker badly, at first how you'd picture an old TV-set look like when viewed through a camera. This flicker would disappear when I tabbed in and out of the game a few times, but then I get god awful anti-aliasing and texture-flickering issues.

I've reset all edits I made in the Radeon Settings - and now I'm not sure my second graphics card or crossfire is running correctly.

I thought it might be my dust in the computer or my monitors messing with me, so I cleaned the entire comptuer (with proper care) and shifted the monitor cables - now whenever I plug into one of my gfx cards the screen wont go live, neither on VGA or HDMI. Now I'm running 1 HDMI and 1VGA in the 'other' gfx card.

After the resets, when I pull up the settings and system overview, it looks like this:

pewpew.png

Which has me wonder - shouldn't I have 3072 * 2 in memory size?

I went into the global game config again to do a simple test - raising the gfx card fan % from 20% to 100% and when I do it instantly drops back and refuses to change from 20%.

The other one works just fine.

I'm at my end here and since I'm not a very technical guy really, I would appreciate any input from you guys on any of these issues.

Thanks for taking the time, best to you all.

0 Likes
8 Replies
frallankung
Journeyman III

Updated full specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

12 GB RAM

Msi z77A-G45 motherboard

FSP Hyper S 700w PSU

2x AOC E2770SH 27" 1920x1080, 1 ms, 60hz Monitors

2 x AMD Radeon HD R7950 + Crossfire

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.2.2

What can I do to troubleshoot if both cards are working or not?

If they're not, how do I fix 'em?

Also shameless bump.

0 Likes
locodicegr
Miniboss

Misleading title.

0 Likes
nerdgoggles
Journeyman III

I have a feeling that we have the same issue: my cards are R7 265's, but those are just rebranded HD 7000 series chips: check device manager and see if one of them has been deactivated by windows or is showing some kind of error.

0 Likes

I looked it up and it seems like both are installed and running on device manager - can't see any difference between them.

In AMD Radeon Settings (Global OverDrive) however, it almost looks as if the linked/discreet card isn't running at all. Not to mention plugging in a monitor wont work.

Sorry Locodice if you think it's a misleading title, but like I said I'm not very technically skilled and all of this started with PUBG, that game's and my driver's updates.

I'm not sure if the problems are separate though - one being the screen flickering / texture and AA flicker, the other being my graphics card wierding out.

Any suggestions are gladly welcome

0 Likes
frallankung
Journeyman III

Since the last post I tried disabling crossfire in Radeon Settings - when I did I was able to configure the fan speed and once applied, it would work up to whatever percentage I wanted.

While Crossfire is disabled, both graphics cards show their performance stats, monitoring and configurability* properly (*as noted above)

While crossfire is enabled, the discrete card stats are always zeroed and I can't configure, see pics (especially gfxc 1 discrete, temperature):

EDIT: Btw, and I don't know if it matters, but after disabled I can only enable crossfire on the primary card tab

gfx card 2 (primary)

Amd1.png

gfx card 1 (discrete)

Amd2.png

I've skimmed through tons of helpfiles on this forum, tried cleaning, reinstalling and backdating drivers - nothing seems to help.

If anyone of you know a post I've missed that might help, please share

Have a nice weekend!

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Have you wiped the drivers using DDU in safemode. Do you you CC cleaner or any programs that's good for registry cleaning might be a registry error. I usually use CC cleaner to clean my registry as the registrys can throw everything out of wack. How good is your PSU & is it rated for Crossfire builds as maybe a hardware issue with your PSU not throwing enough amps juice to power your cards. I have experienced an older PSU dying not powering my cards properly. A good thing i go with hardware wise replace PSUs in 2-3 year cycles as they loose efficientcy & degrade over time as nothing is made like it use to be & most PSUs are made in China so Quality isnt as good as it use to be 10 years ago.

0 Likes
frallankung
Journeyman III

Alright, this still isn't resolved and it's getting worse - this past week I'm getting bluescreens and things are getting real shitty.
It's only when I'm gaming.

I'm pretty certain it's my graphics card bugging out since now the problem has gone over to Overwatch where it gets laggy.

AMD pls, gimme some tips

0 Likes

For one thing, you have your Power Limit set to default which throttles your graphics under load. No crossfire or overclock application will perform correctly with it throttled. Set it to +20. Read AMD graphics performance

0 Likes