Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nuendo
Journeyman III

2400GE / Vega 11: Wrong color gradations, hard edges, banding

Hi everyone,

a rather weird problem. A brand new Lenovo ThinkCentre with AMD Ryzen 5 2400GE / Radeon Vega Graphics has a problem with color banding (I hope this is the correct term) when using the AMD driver. It cannot produce soft gradients and instead shows hard edges. This will not occur when using the default Windows 10 non-AMD graphics driver. 

I will append images at the end of the post to make it very clear. The display used is a brand new HP Z32, 10 bpc.

Things I already tested:

• Using Display Port or HDMI makes no difference
  • color depth is set to 10 bits per channel within the AMD Radeon settings app, display supports 10 bits per channel. No difference with 8 or 6 bits per channel.
  • All color settings are set to default withing Radeon control panel, no alterations to color, alpha or gamut settings
  • Not software dependent: behavior can be reproduced in browsers (e .g. with CSS shadows), Photoshop (8, 16 or 32 Bit per Channel) and any other software
  • Pixel format is set to Full RGB within Radeon settings app 
  • I already wiped the AMD driver many times with the software provided by AMD support befor reinstalling - no change
  • when uninstalling the AMD driver, the error is instantly gone
  • when installing the AMD driver either manually or via Windows device manager, the error is instantly present
  • tried different versions of the AMD driver, no change in the faulty behaviour
  • BIOS of he ThinkCentre PC is the current version
  • Windows 10 Pro, 1903 (18362.418)

Now let me post two images, one with the AMD driver installed, the second with Windows default drivers. You can see the hard edge on the shadows in the first image whereas the second image is as it should be. I cannot produce soft gradients with any software withe the AMD driver installed. As I do graphics for my business on this machine, this is a problem.

Hard edges/banding at the drop shadows, AMD driver:

shadow-amd-driver.png

Correct behaviour, same settings Windows default driver:
shadow-default-driver.png

I'm very experienced when it comes to graphic cards but currently I'm lost. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

0 Likes
8 Replies
drallim
Elite

Did you try a different pixel format (next to color depth in radeon settings)

Mine defaulted to ycbcr instead of rgb for some reason. Doubt it will fix your issue but can't hurt to try only takes 2 seconds.

Thanks - tried that, no change.

0 Likes

what do you have for a panel?

0 Likes

nuendo wrote:

https://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1AA81A4&opt=ABB&sel=MTO

get a mid range discrete video card to handle that monitor, integrated graphics are inadequate for it

0 Likes

Thanks, but that's not my problem and thus is not the solution.

0 Likes

integrated graphics only have HDMI 1.4 and a 4K panel needs HDMI 2.0b or higher

this is the main reason for a modern discrete card

0 Likes

As stated above it's connected via Display Port.

0 Likes