cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

despoiler
Adept II

23.4.1 Black Screen to Boot Loop When Installing

I cannot seem to get these drivers installed despite all of my attempts.  I launch the installer and everything is fine up to the point where it is going to replace the driver files. The screen goes black which is normal.  However, during the black screen my machine reboots.  Then the machine will boot loop continually before it gets into Win11 presumably because the driver did not install correctly. I can go into safe mode and run DDU which will then get me back into Windows.  If I try to install 23.4.1 it does the same thing.  If I install 23.3.2 then it works just fine.  My system isn't running any overclocking.  I've tried redownloading the drivers from the website.  No help. I've tried updating from within AMD Software. No help.  I mentioned I ran DDU to clear the drivers.  No help.  I've tried upgrading over the previous.  No help.  I'm not seeing anything in Event Viewer that is jumping out at me. 

Win11 (latest stable)

XFX 6900XT Merc Black

AMD 5700x

MSI x570 Torpedo Max mobo (latest stable bios)

32GB Corsair 3600 CL16 Ram (2x16gb)

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please try using the 23.4.2 driver which can be downloaded at the link below and let me know if you experience the same issue.  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-4-2

View solution in original post

26 Replies
tomfle
Journeyman III

Similar situation for me. Screen goes black during driver instalation and nothing happens afterwards. Any older driver works fine however.

Win11 (latest stable)

PowerColor 6800XT Red Dragon

AMD 7600X

Asrock B650E Steel Legend

32GB Kingston 6000 CL32 Ram (2x16gb)

degman
Journeyman III

Yes I also have this problem, trying everything - DDU, from control panel, over old drivers. My system is Ryzen 5900x, 2x 16 RAM, 6700XT, Windows 10 LTSC. 

despoiler
Adept II

Happy to say I solved the issue.  Unfortunately it requires a wipe and reinstall of Win11.

0 Likes
adfgvx
Journeyman III

Same here. This is unacceptable... that a driver update sends the machine to bootloop

It could just be Windows too.  I've had my copy installed for quite sometime.  No matter how advanced Windows has become it still gets loaded with junk that causes things to fail.  That point gets longer and longer the more stable it has become.  I remember back in the day having to reinstall Windows after every major update to have a stable system. 

0 Likes
Ashtray3250
Adept II

I have that problem too, win 11, 6800XT, ryzen 5 3600x

tsamolotoff
Adept I

Same problem for me - any old version installs just fine either from safe mode or normal boot, but 23.4.1 reboots the system after the driver is initialized. I've tried deleting pci bus thing (if it is reinstalled it causes all pcie devices to stop functioning for a minute or so, very annoying), but it didn't help. 

5900x, 6900xt, Win10 22h2

bennys
Adept I

I also have problems with installing 23.4.1 on W10.

I get amdkmdag.sys BSOD at install then PC can't boot.

I had to do DDU in Safe Mode....

0 Likes
Madben1982
Adept I

Same issue here.

Switched from Nvidia to AMD Today. DDU'ed Nvidia Drivers, replaced GPU, booted into Win11, got Blackscreen and Bootloop during Driver installation.

Uninstalled Win11 because i wanted to switch back to Win10 anyways, but same problem there...

Not the best experience when switching back to AMD GPU...

System

ASUS Prime X370 Pro
32 GB RAM G Skill AEGIS 3000MHz
5800X3D
XFX 6950XT

wibz
Adept I

Same here, black screen boot loop
I also had to DDU in safe mode to recover

6900xt / 5800x ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING

0 Likes
montyg117
Journeyman III

Same issue for me... Any driver version prior to 23.4.1 installs perfectly.

While installing 23.4.1 my screens flicker as expected, but Windows crashes and the screen stays black with a small blue banner at the top. I have to power off the  PC manually to reboot.

When rebooting I'm unable to get to Windows sign-in. Bios loads fine.

After rebooting 3x or so Windows has to repair itself using system restore point.

I tried using the manual download from AMD's site as well as Adrenaline's driver update tool. Same result.

I've given up after attempting this twice. Let me know if you guys find a workaround!

GPU: AMD Rx 6700xt (Asus TUF version)

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F (Wifi) - Bios was updated within the last year.

Win 10 - Latest update

arnitos
Adept I

Dear community and developpers,

amd 23.4.1 make a permanent boot loop. I had to restart in safe mode and launch DDU to uninstall everything about AMD driver then I reinstalled my stable old 22.5.1 drivers which work with every games I have and especially IL2 1946 (with BAT mod) which do not work with newer drivers. OPENGL perfect landscape cannot be activated (previous post link below)

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-drivers-22-11-2-issue-opengl-perfect-landscape-not...

my system 6900XT, 5900X CPU, ASUS ROG strix WIFI B550 with last BIOS

Hope one day you will solve that because it seems openGL management with new drivers is totally broken with this old but excellent flight simulator.

Best regards

0 Likes

Mine too! I've spent hours troubleshooting this, up to and including reinstalling Windows 11 (FRESH). The latest AMD driver with my RX 6750 and Intel 12600 causes a permanent bootloop that I can't recover from. It's 100% the AMD driver, I've tested with different RAM, checked windows integrity, clean installed before reinstalling windows.

The bootloop goes away immediately if I boot from the onboard intel GPU, and comes back as soon as I install the AMD driver. Are you guys kidding me with this????

brietman
Adept I

Same issue here. I have an AMD 580 card (yes a bit older then al your cards ). Boot in to save mode and revert the previous driver.

Not sure if you can instantly install the previous driver. I revert back through device management --> reboot --> download AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.3.2 Release Notes --> install --> all is fine again.

I am curious what's the culprit here, how many users are affected and if it's ever getting fixed .

0 Likes
ruyramonn
Journeyman III

I had the same problem, but I managed to install, these are steps I did, but I don't know which one specifically I solved.

*Windows updated
*I used the Dism++ tool to clean up Windows garbage, I checked all the options, but I recommend that each one reads what each option does
*I did the DDU in safe mode
*Before installing 23.4.1 I switched from display port to hdmi

Installation went normally.

Try to disable iGPU in bios if any

0 Likes
nobi
Adept I

Exact same issue, I'm running Windows 10 x64 10.0.19045 Build 19045, my hardware specs are Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), ASUS B85-PRO GAMER and AMD Radeon RX 6700. Tried upgrading to 23.4.1, that caused my PC screen to go black then my system rebooted. I then booted into safe mode, used DDU to remove the previous installation, tried installing 23.4.1 again, same issue again, booted into safe mode again, used DDU to remove the previous installation, booted as normal without GPU support, downloaded 23.3.2, installed it and mercifully things went back to normal, so at least for me this worked in getting my system back though I'm still miffed I couldn't upgrade to the latest driver version.

AMD really need to get their act together with respect to driver support, I had run NVIDIA for years before switching over to AMD and while I love the cards, driver support has not been great.

mvoso
Journeyman III

Same issue. DDU in safe mode and then installing 23.3.2 fixed it for me.

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX580

CPU: AMD FX-8150

Motherboard: Biostar 990FX

RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX DD3 1866

PSU: Corsair CX650M

Case: Cool Master HAF ATX Mid Tower

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO Build 19041.vb_release 191206-1406

xzenner
Adept I

Similar issue, mine will boot but boots on fallback windows drivers as 23.4.1 reports failed to windows.

DDU in safe mode and then installing last stable release 23.3.2  (had BSOD/watchdog issues before that)

GPU: 7900 XT (Asrock phantom gaming)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7700x

Motherboard: Asrock steel Legend x670e

RAM: 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000

PSU: Corsair hx750

0 Likes
degman
Journeyman III

There is new driver version 23.4.with black screen fixed issue. After 3 weeks amd managed to fix broken driver...

Well as the issue in this specific thread is a boot loop and not a black screen, I think I'll let someone else take the plunge first before wasting my Sunday reinstalling Windows.

Disappointingly, they don't even acknowledge the issue in their release notes, so I'm not confident they've done anything at all to address it.

0 Likes

I hope you didn't reinstall Windows for this. It was quite simple to rollback to older drivers. Just launch Windows in safe mode.

It's more hidden away than in the Windows XP era. But then again, then we had 1 PC with internet. If you needed to troubleshoot, you needed that PC (that didn't work). Now we have dozens of devices in the house that are capable of accessing the internet.

I think I will test it tomorrow, I will everyone know

0 Likes

I installed it a few days ago and it worked fine (23.4.1 boot looped for me).

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please try using the 23.4.2 driver which can be downloaded at the link below and let me know if you experience the same issue.  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-4-2

Success for me, first 100% stable driver for my 7900 XT system. Amazing thank you!

arnitos
Adept I

Hello,

Yes new drivers installed correctly with no boot loop issue but IL2 1946 flight simulator (with BAT mod) still do not work with newer drivers. OPENGL perfect landscape cannot be activated (previous post link below)

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-drivers-22-11-2-issue-opengl-perfect-landscape-not...

I reinstalled my stable old 22.5.1 drivers which work with every games I have.

my system 6900XT, 5900X CPU, ASUS ROG strix WIFI B550 with last BIOS

Hope one day you will solve that because it seems openGL management with new drivers is totally broken with this old but excellent flight simulator.

Best regards