cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Sangwyyn
Adept I

23.3.2 System Wide Freezing

Whenever I game I inevitably get a system wide freeze when using newer drivers with my 7900 XT I am running at stock frequencies and have tried everything I can think of (disabling MPO, reinstalling windows, updating BIOS). The only solution for now is to use the 23.1.1 drivers from way back in January.

Is anyone else having issues similar to mine with newer drivers?

Full Specs are as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wifi x570 with latest f38a BIOS
GPU: Reference 7900 XT
RAM: 32GB g.skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850

25 Replies
igni
Adept II

i've noticed same thing when working on chromium based browsers with hardware accel (i.e. gog galaxy, ms teams etc) Disabling hardware accel stopped it happening with ms teams. Though if you have h264/265 or amd encoding/decoding/transcoding running at the same time it will crash driver during screen sharing.

All stock, no overclock,

5900x, reference 7900xtx, Seasonic 1kW Titanium, UPS, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809

0 Likes
t3chl0rd
Adept III

I started having issues like this after upgrading to 22h2 WIndows 10 pro soon after on 3/23/2022 and began troubleshooting just about everything. I then prepared for a re-install and started to back up my Boot drive's personal data and discovered that I was getting read errors on my SSD, even though chkdsk, SFC /scannow and SMART all passed. Tried to install SEAGATE tools and that was refusing to launch/run. So I ended up making a windows 11 media creation USB disk, wiped my old partition and now all is working no crashes thus far. Most I can come up with if not malware or virus is that 22H2 corrupted my data.

AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420, 24GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3600,
Phanteks Enthoo Pro, CM MWE Gold 1050, HikVision E3000 NVMe SSD 512GBx2, Seagate 1TBx2 raid0, +6TB HDD,
Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p 165hz 1500R Curved Gaming Monitor, PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6950 XT.

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.
0 Likes
TheEbonRider
Journeyman III

I am getting this issue also. Have to force shutdown the PC as well as one time the PC wouldnt POST till I cycled it again. Prior drivers would simply GPU driver crash the games I play (FFXIV / Elden Ring), but now its more commonly a system wide lockout.

Ryzen 5900x || 48GB 3600Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro || Gigabyte B550M-E || AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Stock

Driver version 23.3.2

0 Likes
KINOPIO
Journeyman III

I got the same issue after I updating to 23.3.1 with 7900xtx.When I play COD19 or Diablo 4 pc freeze.But I found that if I install driver at safe mode the adrenalin edition will not run when I restar PC,and this pc freeze problem just solved.But if I run adrenalin edition and play games pc will freeze again.

0 Likes
igni
Adept II

i reverted to 23.2.1 (no issues with system wide freezing anymore.)

Where did you download the old driver?

0 Likes

Same here, the last 2 releases are terrible..

0 Likes
mobbie
Adept I

Same with 7900 XTX as normal AMD drivers  again lacking quality control. 

Can't play anything demanding but can play dayz all day long no issue

0 Likes
petergroft29
Journeyman III

System-wide freezing can be a frustrating and disruptive issue that can prevent you from using your computer. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix system-wide freezing:

1. Check for software updates: Make sure that all of your software is up-to-date, including the operating system, drivers, and applications. Outdated software can cause conflicts and instability.

2. Check for malware: Malware can cause system-wide freezing, so it's essential to run a full system scan with reputable antivirus software. Ensure that your antivirus software is up-to-date and perform a deep scan of your system.

3. Check your hardware: Faulty hardware components, such as hard drives or RAM, can cause system-wide freezing. Check for any signs of physical damage or wear and tear. You can also try running hardware diagnostic tools to identify any issues.

4. Adjust power settings: In some cases, power settings can cause the system to freeze. Adjust the power settings to reduce the likelihood of the system freezing. For example, try disabling power-saving features or reducing the CPU usage.

5. Check for overheating: Overheating can cause system-wide freezing, so ensure that your computer is adequately cooled. Check the fans and heat sinks to ensure they are functioning correctly.

Greetings,
Peter

0 Likes

1. Everything is up to date, using a fresh copy of windows and newest chipset drivers/ motherboard BIOS

2. Malware scan turned up no results

3. I have checked my ram and drives.

4. I am using performance power plan

5. None of my components go past 80 Degrees during heavy load.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

one complete system freez with v23.3.2 but I can not blame radeon software because I do not know what did cause it. that did not happen with v23.3.1 but I did update windows 10 before installing v23.3.2.

0 Likes
andkatsaras
Adept II

I've just started a new topic with the same issue. I'm experiancing the exact same problem with my 6900XT and I had to install the driver from 2022 the 22.11.2 version in order to solve the problem. Before installing I never had problems what so ever, but after installing every version of 2023 drivers my computer seems to go crazy. It freezes, goes to black screen, my mobo leds go from orange to red to green and stays there until i shut it down from with the power switch and then restart. 22.11.2 drivers did the trick for me, but I would like to have the new drivers since the provide support on new games that I want to play but I don't even know what the problem could be, but I want to fix it.

Chef_Cheezy
Journeyman III

I just encountered this today. I rolled back to 23.3.1 turned on COD and got 2 full games in without issue, over 30 min of total in game time. Before I was only getting 15-20 min in before it locked up, it happened twice before I reinstalled the older driver.

0 Likes
igni
Adept II

Tested new driver; 23.4.1 does not fix the issue . reverted back to 23.3.1

0 Likes
mobbie
Adept I

Still freezing on 23.4.1 with rx 7900 xtx been told it's me 750W 2018 RMX been told its not no issues on 23.1.1... SRS this worse than 6800xt drivers 3 months into lunch. Starting really think of putting money a side for a 4090

0 Likes

750w PSU..... Minimum recommended is 800w with no over clocking isn't it....

Are you using a reference card or and 3rd part card?

Mines been running fine in the latest drivers, but I'm running a 1000w PSU. 

0 Likes

i'm running with seasonic 1kW platinum psu, (so its not a psu) Its the driver.

Reference card, sapphire 7900 xtx

I also tried both DDU, and amd cleanup utility. It seems 23.1.1 are the best drivers with least amount of issues - as long as you can survive without h265, and amd encoder/decoder.

0 Likes

Oh can live without them. i do wonder if undervolt would stop it too..

0 Likes

Same here... Its a joke this, system is stable on 23.1.1... Zero issues.

23.3.1 onwards are terrible, yet AMD try and pass is off as a system issue.... Its the drivers

0 Likes
mobbie
Adept I

Red Devil, if PSU was the issue, would be doing it on 23.1.1 also but it isnt.. the red devil is seeing a max of 370-400w with 400w being highest avg out at 360-370W in the most demanding games I've installed paired with ryzen 7600 going back to 23.1.1 loses RE4 and LOU1 optimizings also using 3 single 8 pins not 6+2 

0 Likes

non-demanding games talking about Dayz (still has issues with AMD GPUs) Forza Horizon 5 doesn't do it Returnal is fine. Escape from Tarkov is another game that doesn't do it. LOU1 and RE4 only games I have that are demanding installed that are doing it. Hole pc freezes to a 0 fps slide show there for can't really be a psu issue as pc would shut down if that's the case 

0 Likes
mobbie
Adept I

IMG_20230417_160157.jpg

0 Likes
mobbie
Adept I

23.4.2 seems fine but only tested it on dayz and dead island  not anything demanding 

0 Likes
igni
Adept II

i can confirm on 2 occasions while having gog (chromium), and brave open, I had that freeze. Its very rare though.

0 Likes