cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rawintellect
Miniboss

22.8.1 causes freezing in Diablo Immortal and other games

Driver 22.8.1 causes games to freeze. To test this I simply uninstalled 22.8.1 via DDU and AMD's factory reset, then installed 22.7.1. I played Diablo Immortal for 8 hours straight. I then re-downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled 22.8.1 and the game froze within 10 minutes. I then reversed this and played for 2 days with 0 errors. I am 100% certain it is 22.8.1 causing this issue.

******************Update 08/18/22********************

Here's what I did to get around this issue. I reinstalled 22.8.1, I turned off "Hardware Acceleration" for google chrome, Steam, Battle.net, Epic games, Origin and anything else that uses it. I then turned off Enhanced Sync and have not seen another freeze yet. 

Specs are as follows:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Powercolor Radeon RX 6900 XT Red Devil  
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 11 64bit 22H2 22622.575
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin 22.8.1 

• Display Devices
    • Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate;
      ASUS VG27AQL1A 2560 x 1440 @170Hz
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ROG Strix X399-E Gaming American Megatrends Bios Version 1203
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & WattageAntec HCP1000 Platinum Power Supply 1000 Watts
  • RAM
    • 64GB
1 Solution

I understand you're having an issue with Apex legends, but that's not quite what I'm saying here. This freeze/crashing issue is for ANY game running 22.7.1+ 

All I'm saying here is not to assume that this won't fix other games and that something else entirely may be going on with Apex Legends, because since I've disabled hardware acceleration I haven't had a single freeze/crash yet.

As I stated before I'm not the only one that this has fixed this problem for. It's all over reddit and this site as being a workaround until AMD can revise their drivers.

This isn't even a new bug...it's an old one that has resurfaced.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
perfctly
Elite

I have disabled everything for hardware acceleration besides steam because idk where that option is. Is it enable GPU accelerated rendering in web views in the interface tab?

0 Likes

Yep. Also uncheck "Enable hardware video decoding"

0 Likes

Do you have XMP enabled on your system? I found it helped to not get the crash by turning it off but if you have fixed it I was wondering if you also had XMP off 

0 Likes

It's definitely not XMP. This is an issue that's well documented on this forum and reddit and confirmed as a workaround is to disable hardware acceleration. 

I'm running custom timings and have been for over 2 years on this machine without issue.

0 Likes

Just tried doing what you said and re enabled XMP and apex still crashes and looks like this 

F497996C-B3D2-4BBC-B92C-564305D8A060.jpeg

0 Likes
cerealkiller
Adept I

Dropping this comment to bump it up since your solution worked for me too. I hope devs see this topic so it will help them to understand the issue better.

0 Likes

Sadly it doesn’t work. It’s just a matter of time before you crash again. It’s apex itself and the devs have to fix it…

0 Likes

I'm still using the 22.8.1 driver tho. Maybe that's why I still haven't a single crash after turning off Hardware Acceleration on every app running. 

Before I turned off Hardware Acceleration on apps, I was getting crashes every 3 matches I played.

0 Likes

I’m literally on the same driver as you. Trust me, just wait. It’ll crash

0 Likes

I understand you're having an issue with Apex legends, but that's not quite what I'm saying here. This freeze/crashing issue is for ANY game running 22.7.1+ 

All I'm saying here is not to assume that this won't fix other games and that something else entirely may be going on with Apex Legends, because since I've disabled hardware acceleration I haven't had a single freeze/crash yet.

As I stated before I'm not the only one that this has fixed this problem for. It's all over reddit and this site as being a workaround until AMD can revise their drivers.

This isn't even a new bug...it's an old one that has resurfaced.

jo3yization
Adept I

Exact same issue on latest build of Windows 11 + 22.8.2 with Diablo Immortal & usually a Chromium browser open in the back. Will try the HW acceleration fix though it isnt ideal, rolling back drivers is also a hassle as we miss out on any improvements.

*Update 9/9* Had another freeze when multitasking /w Immortal & Brave browser open /w HW Acceleration disabled. Going back to 22.5 WHQL.

0 Likes
rawintellect
Miniboss

Replying to update this again. 22.8.2 seems to have resolved the installer issues. Thank you AMD! The freezes continue with hardware acceleration though, so for now I still have it turned off on all apps.

0 Likes

Sorry to bother but, i'm having this problem and i dont know where the hardware acceleration option is! i just can't find it, please help not even google is telling me where this option is

0 Likes

It's not an option in Adrenalin. You need to disable hardware acceleration in ALL BACKGROUND APPS. Discord. Chrome. Battle.net...any app that uses it causes this issue with the driver. Turning it off varies from app to app. So you'll need to search google on how to disable hardware acceleration on your apps. 

0 Likes