Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

CaligoVereor
Challenger

22.2.2, 22.2.3 and 22.3.1 Monitor flickering/stream, video stuttering

Greetings!

I've been having problems with my setup since AMD software version driver 22.2.2. When I'm scrolling webpages with media content (such as videos) my main monitor is flickering. The easiest way how to induce it is by scrolling down while watching a video on YouTube, the moment the video goes off screen there is a flicker happening. Same when scrolling up and the video goes on screen.

Not only that, but I've also noticed other issues - if I'm watching a stream on my main monitor and try watching a video on the second monitor the video has buffering issues and the stream on main monitor starts stuttering. At first I thought that might be a network issue but no, my 1GBps connection is working fine.

Both issues go away if I reinstall driver 22.2.1. But now it's been happening with the past 3 new versions so I'm getting properly annoyed. I tried emailing AMD tech support at 22.2.3 but they only gave me a list of basic troubleshooting solutions and then said to go back to the version I confirmed worked fine (22.2.1).

I'm running a 2 monitor setup. Main monitor is 144Hz (Connected by DisplayPort ) and the second one is 60Hz (HDMI connected). If the refreshrates might be a problem, how would I fix it?

Windows 10, RX 6700XT

1 Solution
CaligoVereor
Challenger

Ok I just remembered about this topic after someone commented here and realized I haven't updated it. Basically, for the last half a year or so newest drivers have been working fine with no more flickering happening. So my issues were solved.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
67 Replies
jcmolero71
Journeyman III

My update: using the latest bios 1.10 in my Acer aspire 5 A515-45 and latest 22.7.1 full install, ofc disabled the hardware acceleration in all browsers and did a workaround in registry as Adobe Substance Painter asked in the timeout situation, also asked for a minimum of 4 GB of video which I did set in bios. It’s working normally, just today it has a sudden reboot but it only was reported as a bad windows shutdown 

0 Likes

I think you can set everything back to normal. I had the flickering video stream (and sometimes normal webpages) issues as well, but they have been resolved with 22.7.1.

Here's what my issues looked like: https://youtu.be/RDHEo1LBOg8

I had a lot of random flickering with other websites, too, but as you said, on video streams it was the easiest to replicate. In this case, some YouTube video on the first monitor and a Twitch stream on the second.

In any case, it hasn't happened again since I installed 22.7.1‌. So whatever my issue was, it has been resolved.

0 Likes

That is a different flickering issue. The one I started this thread about and I'm assuming most people here also have is a black flicker.

This is what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjgHq3i8EY 

And this has not yet been resolved, it's in the Known Issues part of the driver notes.

22.8.2 running so far, though hardware acceleration incompatibility still persists (including the Minecraft lanucher)

0 Likes
CaligoVereor
Challenger

So a new update has come out 22.8.1 and the flickering issue has been moved to Fixed Issues. I tried updating and here's how it is... It's not completely solved, not for me at least. It's now happening much less and is harder to reproduce but it still occasionally happens when scrolling down from YouTube video to comments for example. It no longer happens every time I scroll down and up but every 10th/15th scroll or so flickers.

0 Likes

Still flickering with 22.8.2

0 Likes
Racq
Adept II

I don't seem to be flickering anymore with 22.8.2. Did the reset install and I appear to be good.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

I had a similar issue and just resetting my main monitor's refresh rate fixed it .. even though it said 144hz, I changed it to 120hz ..saved .. and then changed back to 144hz and no more issue

Main monitor is a 27" Samsung 1440p 144hz 4ms, secondary is a 24" Acer 1080p 60hz .. so maybe resetting the refresh rate of the monitor that has the higher refresh rate will do the trick ... maybe

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
beseezy
Adept I

I don't know when it was fixed but I finally tried installing 22.9.2 and I'm not seeing any issues now.

0 Likes

22.9.2 is better but still flickering.

0 Likes
dsoultime
Journeyman III

I just wanna say that i have the same issue and i haven't been able to fix this. I am using 22.10.1 i have two monitors, one with 144hz displayport and 60hz with hdmi. I hope they fix this cause is very annoying. (of course i have done a lot troubleshooting and all the tips that i have found here but it seems this is very hard to fix)

Well, according to release notes for 22.10.1 these issues are targeted to be resolved in the next 22.10.2 version, so we'll see

0 Likes
CaligoVereor
Challenger

22.10.2 - the flickering seems to have gotten worse. But at least now the stuttering and freezing of streams and videos when watching them on both monitors seems to have been fixed.

Yes. flickering gotten worse here too with 22.10.2. I'm tired of this drivers. Do you recommend a better version for fix this problem?

0 Likes

22.2.1 had no flickering or other issues. Might try that one but have in mind that driver is over half a year old now and some newer games (like Spider-man) might not work with that.

I've installed here 22.2.1 and you're right: no issues. Thanks for this recommendation. Actually, It's feels bad, because Amd could fix their drives to be more stable.

0 Likes
Blexsta
Adept I

I now have ridiculous flickering again. I am currently unable to reliably reproduce it, but it started after 22.10.2, possibly with 22.10.1, because I didn't update for a while and 22.10.2 came soon after I updated to 22.10.1.

This might still not be the same issue, or maybe it is, but I feel like random flickers are still underreported.

CaligoVereor
Challenger

22.10.3 - still flickering

0 Likes
mada2885
Journeyman III

Same here.  22.10.3

0 Likes

Holy crap, I think it worked. At least for now there seems to be no more flickering. Do you know if there are any downsides for disabling MPO?

0 Likes
Blexsta
Adept I

I'm gonna request an RMA for this card and roll back to 22.9.2 in the meantime. I can't alt-tab out of fullscreen window World of Warcraft without the occasional driver crash. That is not okay. The flickering is basically "normal" now, happens all the time.

0 Likes
mozphat
Journeyman III

I'm getting sick of these problems. I'm running RX6900XT on Windows 10. I started to have those problems after 22.5.1. So,  I have stayed on that version since then.  I tried to upgrade to 22.11.2 today and I still have the same flickering problem.

I do not have flickering issues with 22.5.1 but I'd like to benefit from all the bug fixes since then. I'll take a close look at the current known problems but this is clearly a driver problem and AMD needs to sort this out.

0 Likes

What fixed the flickering for me was disabling MPO in Windows. So far I haven't seen any downsides for that and it's been keeping me flicker-free so that's what I'm staying with until the drivers get fixed properly.

vofiva17
Journeyman III

After testing countless suggestions here and elsewhere like installing older driver versions and installing the latest developer preview of Chrome etc. I was able to pinpoint the problem to being related to HDR. I have a two monitor setup plus a TV that was running in HDR. The problem only occured on the TV.

The fix that worked for me was setting ANGLE graphics backend in the Chrome browser settings to D3D9. The fullscreen video flickering did not happen in Firefox. 

Go to "chrome://flags/" in your browser (Edge, Chrome, Brave, Vivaldi)

Search for "angle"

At Choose ANGLE graphics backend, select D3D9.

The browser will have a slightly higher CPU and a slighty lower GPU usage then  (~2%), but this is still preferable to disabling hardware accelleration. Disabling HDR in the Windows settings and not changing the browser settings should also fix the problem, if it's the same problem.

0 Likes
imtiahmed
Journeyman III

Okay so i am currently facing this issue. There are random bunch of horizontal lines flickering on my laptop display. Initially the issue was very minimal but now its just got worse and half of my screen is getting blown away. I initially fixed the issue by Disabling the AMD driver and using microsoft default display drivers. I figured that the problem is due to the AMD Software and I dont know what to do. Please let me know if you have figured a problem. 

0 Likes

Well the flickering issues I was having have been fixed for like half a year now with drivers. What you're experiencing sounds like something else. I'd recommned starting your own topic with photos and videos of your issue, maybe someone might know what's up. To me that sounds like GPU dying or something similar but if you say messing with drivers fixes it then it's probably software related after all. Or, since it's a laptop, perhaps disabling AMD drivers makes your system use integrated graphics or something like that, it could still be hardware related. Either way, sorry I can't help there, I don't really know what's happening in your case and like I said if you make a thread definitely include photos and videos of the issue.

0 Likes
CaligoVereor
Challenger

Ok I just remembered about this topic after someone commented here and realized I haven't updated it. Basically, for the last half a year or so newest drivers have been working fine with no more flickering happening. So my issues were solved.

0 Likes