cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rjmx
Journeyman III

21.7.1 crashes on start: Bug Report

I installed 21.7.1 yesterday, and it worked fine -- until I selected the "Gaming" tab. Then it crashed.

Further attempts to start it (by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "AMD Radeon Software) only result in it starting up and crashing again, without me doing anything. I've even tried un-installing it, re-installing (with a reboot each time), and I still get the same effect.

Running SysInternals' Process Explorer, I discovered that, when it crashes, there's still a "Radeon Software" process running, so I killed that, tried again, only to see it crash again. Each time it crashes, I noted that it goes immediately to the "Gaming" tab before crashing.

So, in desperation, I fired up RegEdit, searched for "gaming", and discovered Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN\LastPage, which had "gaming". So I cleared it, tried again, and it still crashes, only now it goes to the "HOME" tab before crashing.

I've already  reported a bug that I have with this software before: this computer , and HP Omen 810, originally came with a crappy processor and video card. When I replaced the video card with a Radeon RX 570 (best I could get in the current situation), the "GAMING" tab reported that the machine fulfilled recommended specs on almost all games, but the processor didn't. Replaced processor (and motherboard, 'cause original processor was Intel) with a Ryzen 7 3700X, and now "GAMING" tab tells me that neither video board nor processor meets *minimum* specs.

I do not believe this.

--
Ron Murray
PGP Fingerprint: 4D99 70E3 2317 334B 141E 7B63 12F7 E865 B5E2 E761
0 Likes
1 Solution
Nagrenol
Challenger

I installed it today to test, nothing but issues so just removed it and reinstalled 21.6.1 as it's the current stable edition. 21.7.1 is optional atm so not surprising it has issues but this is the worst 'optional' one in a while.

But again it's optional and more likely to have issues

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Nagrenol
Challenger

I installed it today to test, nothing but issues so just removed it and reinstalled 21.6.1 as it's the current stable edition. 21.7.1 is optional atm so not surprising it has issues but this is the worst 'optional' one in a while.

But again it's optional and more likely to have issues

0 Likes

Good idea. Where do I get previous versions from? 

--
Ron Murray
PGP Fingerprint: 4D99 70E3 2317 334B 141E 7B63 12F7 E865 B5E2 E761
0 Likes

Uninstall the current one with DDU and then download latest from amd software page https://www.amd.com/en/support

I might have read it wrong but I think you said you are using the x570 is so then it's this is the direct link

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500x-series/radeon-rx-570x

Always go with Recommended, in the radeon software settings you can select that it only highlights when recommended updates are available.

So the one you are going for is Adrenalin 21.6.1 Recommended (WHQL)

and not Adrenalin 21.7.1 Optional

0 Likes

thanks, but like I said, no tricks works, classic DDU, clear install of drivers, I am bored install fresh win everytime new drivers come out . that sometime works for me, but this time NO. i have one tip whats wrong, but its not my fault. but i want try all functionalities of modern R5xxx and RX6xxx platform.  and thats the problem.

0 Likes

My reply was to the original poster

0 Likes

ah, sorry. ok. but i am sad that this happens. i am good for now, but i would like to have newer drivers for future.

0 Likes

aaaaaaaaaaand here we go again, Division 2 DX12 high detail. rock solid with 21.4.1 whql...

any of newer drivers is unable to work , classics "timeout..."

rig is almost brand new, everything updated, clean win W10 21H1 installed few weeks ago...

no tricks works for me, still must return to 21.4 drivers, then, everything works... AMD wake up. ah GPU is 6700Xt nitro from sapphire, new, i seriously will return that crap. previous 5700Xt nitro works well. but this time its horror show.

0 Likes