cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nightabyss2
Journeyman III

Re: 21.4.1 crashing problem

Yeah, AMD is dropping the ball heavily with these blunders.

I have a 5700xt running stock, only non-stock setting is extra 15% speed on fans, to keep stuff nice and cool.

Gaming works fine, but I'm also a content creator and get this: no serious video editor works currently on my 3500$ Pc...
The amd graphics driver crashes under davinci resolve, and hitfilm as well. Basically same issues that you describe with gaming.

This f*cks me harder than anything, because my worksation is basically not usable for one of the main reasons I have it.

2 months ago I had to stop for a month because my 5900x cpu was defective and rebooted the pc randomly due to interconnect errors. To be fair AMD sent me a replacement (which is a bit slower, one of the ccx doesn't even boost up to 4800mhz), but at least it's working.

Now of course it is the gpu acting like a little bitch... But no worries I think to meself, GF also has a radeon 580, I'll just edit on her rig for a while. SAME F*cking problem on that pc as well... How these drivers pass QA is beyond me.

I have managed to buy a 6800 a week ago (for a fortune, mind you), it's arriving soon, but at this point, I don't even know what driver I would install on it. If that's going to give me trouble, I'm going nvidia. I'm practically holding video production for almost 3 months now due to AMD **bleep****bleep**ery.

0 Likes
AlliCat
Journeyman III

If at all possible, install 20.11.2. Ever since I installed that version before I made my initial post here, I've had no issues with it since I did that myself.

Granted, we shouldn't have to bloody downgrade but ya know....

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Adept III

OP have you tried using the AMD driver removal tool on their website?  It will purge all gpu drivers from your system and once done  you can reinstall the driver.  I had to use it tonight on a clean install when the adrenalin control center started malfunctioning and after it was done everything started working normally.

0 Likes
guily6669
Elite

DDU is for that already...

Anyway AMD just updated drivers and once again I see nothing in the fixed list neither on the known problem list...

Won't even bother updating to this one

Tags (1)
hrpuffnstuff
Adept III

I updated to 21. 5.2 and it provided a slight uplift in my Time Spy score plus the control center still works.

0 Likes
guily6669
Elite

then I will try it later since performance dropped for a few GPUs on the latest one before that one...

0 Likes
nonamegood
Journeyman III

Me too, Keep Crashing, Freeze with no reason

I using ACER laptop with R5 4500U
Just Row back to 21.3.1
It's fixed

0 Likes
grid
Journeyman III

Almost returned a new build because of this issue. Just upgraded my A8-7600 to a ryzen 3 3100 with new motherboad and set of ram. I was using an MSI aero RX 560 with my old A8-7600 pc with radeon 21.4.1 installed, it was working fine, didn't have any crashes. After changing hardware though, the crashes started happening. I did not do a fresh install of windows 10 and I thought it might be the issue. Did a fresh install and it still the same. Good thing I tried radeon 20.11.2 before returning cpu, motherboard and ram.

0 Likes
MeticulousSeven
Journeyman III

I made an account just to discuss my own experience. I started using Davinci Resolve (Free) in August/September of 2020. I eventually lucked out and snagged a 6800 XT. I have spent 10s of hours dealing with crashing in Resolve, all due to AMD's drivers and Black Magic's "we don't care about AMD" mindset. Now, 6 months later, the ONLY driver that works with Davinci Resolve and AMD graphics cards appears to be the November 2020 WHQL release (20.11.2). I've tried close to a dozen different versions over the last 6-7 months. Everytime I've updated drivers, which greatly benefit some games I play, it completely breaks Davinci Resolve and I'm forced to go back to 20.11.2. I've tested this on two separate all-AMD rigs, one running a 6800 XT + 5900x, and one using a 2700x with 5700 XT. Can totally replicate on both machines using any drivers more recent than 20.11.2.

I eventually bought Davinci Resolve Studio as I love the software and the included Speed Editor they gave out for 17 preorders was too good of a deal to pass up . I will tell those of you who may be considering upgrading that this bug is still present in Studio, and made no difference on my ability to use the program. Another thing worth mentioning, that once I have upgraded, in order to return to 20.11.2 I have totally strip my AMD drivers (using DDU), AND reinstall Davinci Resolve after downgrading the drivers. This process seems required every single time, and has become my go-to after dozens of hours of trying to troubleshoot this issue, both on my own and with Davinci Resolve. I am an IT professional with about a decade of people paying me to fix problems like this. At this point, I'm appalled at how little effort both AMD and Black Magic are putting into compatibility, especially considering AMD's workstation cards are out now.

Anyways, I know this was a long post. Hopefully it helps someone out there. If anyone else knows a better way to fix, please let me know!

Summary of steps to resolve crashing with AMD and Davinci Resolve

DDU AMD drivers

Reboot

Install 20.11.2 WHQL drivers

Reboot

Reinstall Davinci Resolve (may need to do a "clean" install, can find the process elsewhere)

Reboot

It should now work, I've replicated this process a bunch of times on two separate workstations. It's a huge PITA, so upgrade your drivers sparingly and hopefully avoid this pain.

0 Likes
EDOD
Adept I

I want to update on my case.

I was having the same issue as pretty much everyone in this thread. Version 20.11.3 works perfectly, but version 21.4.1 was giving me artifacts and crashes all the time. I'm now on version 21.5.2 (optional, which used to give the same problems as 21.4.1) but I read somewhere that if you update Windows 10 MANUALLY, paying especial attention to optional updates, it should fix most of the problem.

I did that, and I haven't had any artifacting ever since, but I HAVE still had freezes every now and then (around once a week or so). 

0 Likes