Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

roger991
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: 20.2.2 fan PWM% setting not going lower than 26%

Jump to solution

With the ProSoftware for Enterprise driver you are able the set the fan to 11% and a fan speed of just around 690 RPM so the card is very silent.

However be aware that this driver, that I use as well, is very buggy. Chrome crashes frequently, Microsoft Teams crashes as soon as somebody uses a webcam. This is because this driver is not as up to date as the regular driver where they fixed these issues.

So you have the choice: Buggy driver where Chrome/Teams will crash but is silent or a driver that is more stable but will not let you set the fan lower than 1200 RPM and thus is very noisy. I chose the first option because having to work a lot from home during the Corona pandemic I couldn't stand the fan noise all day long.

I had Nvidia cards for around 10 years before giving AMD a try and never had this kind of stability issues the way I have it now with the AMD drivers. The AMD graphic card may be a good product but the driver stabilty and fan issues caused by the drivers after 20.2.2 just ruins the experience.

0 Kudos
vogaldo
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I understand that a driver focused on work should be more stable. At the moment I had no problem or instability with it. I hope everything continues to work properly. Your recommendation, if everything continues to work well, has been very useful.

0 Kudos
ucantosbagayoshi
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I have an MSI 5700 XT reference design video card. This situation is stupid and absurd. Why are users not allowed to use fan lower than 20%? You will receive a warning text before making personal settings in the AMD software. So the responsibility belongs to the user. I accept the responsibility to run my graphics card at 1% fan speed. But AMD does not accept this? AMD reference design video card in the new driver should take into account the wishes of the users. It should offer users the freedom to adjust as desired, starting at 100 rpm and 1% pwm speed. There are several options in the plug-in called "More Power Tool" for bios, but frankly I'm afraid that the card may have problems. Has there been any user who set up PWM over bios before?

ensonhaber.png

0 Kudos
fijosh
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with ASRock Radeon RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D2 6G OC. Minimum fan speed that I can set is 33%  which translates to 1460RPM for this card!

Like higgih01, the same thing annoys me: The card was advertised with 0dB mode, which sounded great. But in reality, the passive cooling (even with a help of airflow from a couple of 120mm case fans) is not enough. The fans are stopped for a few minutes but the temp goes up and when it reaches 53°C, fans start spinning (1450RPM), cool it down below 50°C, stop again and this repeats over and over. It is really noticeable and very distracting.

Not saying this is AMD's fault, clearly the manufacturer is to blame here. Clearly they messed up when designing/testing this card, and okay - it happens, but at least let me (and other users) correct the manufacturers' faults that they are likely not going to fix for us.

I can live without 0dB mode, but it is harsh to have the fans spinning at 1460RPM when the card is under no lod at all. Just please let me set the fan speed lower than what the manufacturer restricts in the vBIOS! 

In the end, this change in the drivers (i.e. to restrict the users to override the minimum fan speed), made by AMD itself, just makes AMD look worse and kind of does not make me want to buy an AMD card next time..

Come on, AMD, you're portraying yourselves as a company that creates products for gamers, for people, so step up and let the people tweak the products to their needs and allow them to fix the missteps of the manufacturers!

0 Kudos
fijosh
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

So I need to retract my statement about the "manufacturer being to blame here" when it comes to the thermals on my card.

Today I discovered that the abnormal temps in idle (and thus completely usless zero-RPM fan mode) are caused by the VRAM clock running at max speed when using a different refresh rate than 60Hz. (or than 120Hz for people who have high refresh rate monitors - I have only 70Hz one so I can't test that myself)

This problem causes the card to draw unnecessarily more power than it should (25W instead of 10-ish W when 60Hz is set), and this is what completely kills the "zero RPM" fan mode, because the card gets too hot with these clocks and keeps triggering the threshold for when the fans start to spin.

Apparently, this has been an AMD bug for yearsh, which still hasn¨t been fixed and was being swept under the rug with false statements (more like excuses) like "the high memory clock is needed for high refresh rates". Clearly that's not true based on the evidence from hundreds of people on reddit and other internet forums..

Really hope that these problems will get fixed, otherwise my next graphics card is probably not going to be another one from AMD.. :|

0 Kudos
chiefv20
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
chiefv20
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

This also happened to me because of 20.11.2 driver and I got it fixed by uninstall it using DDU and reinstall 20.10.1 version of the driver. I have a 75hz monitor and now the VRAM clock stays at 200 MHz idle.

0 Kudos
fijosh
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I know we've gone a bit off topic, since this thread is about the lack of proper control for fan speed and not about the VRAM clock issue, but... Still, the issues are sort of related in a sense that one causes the other to be a much bigger problem. So just one last off-topic post from me:

I tried going down to 20.10.1 but it didn't make a difference for me. When at 70Hz, VRAM clock is still maxed out, while at 60Hz it is OK.. :( The process I followed was:
- uninstall current driver (I had 20.11.1) via DDU in Safe mode
- disconnect ethernet cable
- reboot
- install 20.10.1
- reboot

Sadly, no luck. Thanks for the tip though, hopefully it will help at least some other people.

I also tried going to 20.11.3 just out of curiosity, and that's even worse - VRAM clock is maxed out even at 60Hz <insert facepalm here> (it's very likely broken in 20.11.2 as well, based on your experience)

0 Kudos
makkara
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

PWM% minimum is probably working as intended. When the PWM% is set low enough the fan will stop spinning, but the PWM is still trying to power the fan and thus heating the fan motor. To prevent this situation there is minimum PWM%.

PWM fans stop spinning around 10-20 PWM%. Also high RPM fans spin faster at lower PWM% than low RPM fans.

So because the card manufacturer used high RPM fans, the fans run at high RPM at low PWM%.

0 Kudos
fijosh
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Sure, the reason for minimum PWM% is clear. But that doesn't change the fact that some manufacturers set it way too high while the fans can still spin just fine even at lower values.

As reported by numerous users, after rolling back to older version of AMD drivers or after changing the minimum PWM% in MorePowerTool and flashing the modded vBIOS, they were able to lower the PWM% below the original minimum to achieve the desired noise level while the fans were still operational.

The point is - users should have the option to go even below the minimum PWM% set by the manufacturer (at their own risk, of course) without having to jump through hoops like being stuck on old version of the driver or having to flash modded vBIOS.

0 Kudos