cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

higgih01
Adept III

20.2.2 fan PWM% setting not going lower than 26%

I have a Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro +, and under 20.2.1 I had adjusted my fan PWM setting to be a constant 12% up to a temp of 60C as it was whisper quiet at this speed and much less annoying than having the Fan Stop feature enabled, as the Nitro's heat sink is just not big enough to passively keep 5700 XT GPU cool enough to stop its temp steadily climbing up to the point where the fans come on and ramp up to 1300 rpm (in silent vBios mode) which is really quite annoying. I saved my modified fan speed and a stable undervolt that I had worked out as a Profile.

I upgraded to 20.2.2, but when I imported my saved Profile, I discovered that 20.2.2 no longer allows me to set a fan PWM% lower than 26%. The heat sink on my Nitro + is much bigger than the reference card's and can keep my GPU temp below 50 deg C for desktop use at a fan PWM of 12%. I thought that this might be an issue with my imported Profile, so I did a complete DDU clean and installed 20.2.2 fresh. I tried to set new, fresh fan PWM profile, but once again found that 20.2.2 won't allow a fan PWM% lower than 26%.

Please AMD, let me set the same fan profile that I could set in 20.2.1.   

1 Solution
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

With regard to your issue, this is the response I have received from Driver Engineering.

Some Radeon owners may have noticed that with our latest Adrenalin 2020 Edition version 20.2.2 posting, the lowest allowable PWM percentage in fan tuning has been modified or increased versus previous drivers. This change is the result of revised logic that now correctly sets the minimum fan PWM percentage to the minimum limit defined by the product’s VBIOS. As well, Adrenalin 2020 Edition version 20.2.2 fixes an error in the Advanced Fan Control user interface whereby a lower limit PWM percentage may have been incorrectly reported in Radeon Software, when in fact the fan was running at the higher minimum PWM defined by the product’s VBIOS. It is expected that with these fixes, users will have a lowest selectable point on their fan curve that conforms to the PWM limit defined in their specific product’s VBIOS.

View solution in original post

41 Replies