Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

higgih01
Adept III

20.2.2 fan PWM% setting not going lower than 26%

Jump to solution

I have a Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro +, and under 20.2.1 I had adjusted my fan PWM setting to be a constant 12% up to a temp of 60C as it was whisper quiet at this speed and much less annoying than having the Fan Stop feature enabled, as the Nitro's heat sink is just not big enough to passively keep 5700 XT GPU cool enough to stop its temp steadily climbing up to the point where the fans come on and ramp up to 1300 rpm (in silent vBios mode) which is really quite annoying. I saved my modified fan speed and a stable undervolt that I had worked out as a Profile.

I upgraded to 20.2.2, but when I imported my saved Profile, I discovered that 20.2.2 no longer allows me to set a fan PWM% lower than 26%. The heat sink on my Nitro + is much bigger than the reference card's and can keep my GPU temp below 50 deg C for desktop use at a fan PWM of 12%. I thought that this might be an issue with my imported Profile, so I did a complete DDU clean and installed 20.2.2 fresh. I tried to set new, fresh fan PWM profile, but once again found that 20.2.2 won't allow a fan PWM% lower than 26%.

Please AMD, let me set the same fan profile that I could set in 20.2.1.   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 20.2.2 fan PWM% setting not going lower than 26%

Jump to solution

With regard to your issue, this is the response I have received from Driver Engineering.

Some Radeon owners may have noticed that with our latest Adrenalin 2020 Edition version 20.2.2 posting, the lowest allowable PWM percentage in fan tuning has been modified or increased versus previous drivers. This change is the result of revised logic that now correctly sets the minimum fan PWM percentage to the minimum limit defined by the product’s VBIOS. As well, Adrenalin 2020 Edition version 20.2.2 fixes an error in the Advanced Fan Control user interface whereby a lower limit PWM percentage may have been incorrectly reported in Radeon Software, when in fact the fan was running at the higher minimum PWM defined by the product’s VBIOS. It is expected that with these fixes, users will have a lowest selectable point on their fan curve that conforms to the PWM limit defined in their specific product’s VBIOS.

View solution in original post

40 Replies
makkara
Adept II

Jump to solution

Try edit the saved profile manually and then load it.

I have fan curve like this first point is 35C, 15%.

<STATES>
<STATE ID="0" Enabled="False" Value="35"/>
<STATE ID="1" Enabled="False" Value="15"/>
<STATE ID="2" Enabled="False" Value="36"/>
<STATE ID="3" Enabled="False" Value="16"/>
<STATE ID="4" Enabled="False" Value="37"/>
<STATE ID="5" Enabled="False" Value="17"/>
<STATE ID="6" Enabled="False" Value="70"/>
<STATE ID="7" Enabled="False" Value="30"/>
<STATE ID="8" Enabled="False" Value="85"/>
<STATE ID="9" Enabled="False" Value="40"/>
</STATES>

0 Likes
higgih01
Adept III

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. I opened the Profile in an editor, but my settings in the Profile file exactly matched what I had set them to in 20.2.1, so I suspect it would not have made any difference. I have inserted images of my fan settings in 20.2.1 and 20.2.2, with the 20.2.2 image showing that my lowest PWM% I can now get is 26%. The lowest I could go in 20.2.1 was 10%, but I settled on 12% as this kept the GPU temp to around 49degC in the desktop.

20.2.1 Performance Settings.jpg

In 20.2.1 above, I can go as low at 10% for the PWM fan setting, although I have it set to 12%.

20.2.2 Performance Settings.jpg

In 20.2.2, the lowest I get get is 26% , which is way too high (and noisy) for an idle fan setting on my 5700 XT Nitro +.

0 Likes
bobalazs
Adept III

Jump to solution

use MorePowerTool to set minimums.

0 Likes
higgih01
Adept III

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip bobalazs. Unfortunately MPT did not seem to work for me. I installed MPT and loaded in my vBIOS which I extracted from GPU-Z.

MBT values for RX 5700 XT BIOS.JPG

The only thing I changed was to set the PWM Minimum % down to 10% rather than the 26% as per my vBIOS - it seems that 20.2.2 was not letting me go below this vBIOS value but 20.2.1 was as it should.

I then hit the Write SPPT and got an indication that it had been successful. However, when I rebooted my PC, my GPU fans spooled up and ran at 100% as soon as 20.2.2 loaded and I had to uninstall 20.2.2 to stop the fans. I must admit I may have not been using MPT correctly, but as 20.2.2 was also indicating a much higher idle frequency than it should have been (around 800-1000 MHz - should have been indicating around 6-15 MHz - it seems 20.2.2 broke more than it fixed for me. I have reverted back to 20.2.1 which I know works and at least have some confidence in.  

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Don't you have the 'Zero RPM' option in global settings? 20% fans have been the default minimum setting when using custom profiles since the Crimson days.. I see no big deal. My global setting runs my normal PC usage @0 rpm and the profile kicks in when I am playing a game.

0 Likes
higgih01
Adept III

Jump to solution

I have, but I find it really annoying in desktop workloads. I use my PC around 65% for desktop related work and 35% for gaming. The heat sink on the Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro + is not large enough to keep the GPU temp from climbing up to the 60degC threshold under desktop workloads (not gaming) at which point the fans spool up to 1300rpm (I am using the Silent BIOS) to bring the temp back down to 50degC. This fan off/fan on cycling occurs every 3 minutes approx and is really annoying. Have a look at this GPU-Z trace I sent to Sapphire - the GPU is basically idling the whole time, but the heat sink can't keep the temp from climbing and the fans from constantly coming on. 

Sapphire-RX-5700-NITRO+ GPU-Z.jpg

I have found through experimenting that by setting a constant low fan speed of around 500 rpm (PWM of 12%) I can't hear the card's fans and the GPU temp is maintained at around 50egC. With the release of 20.2.2, I have now lost the ability to set it below 26% - so I am back to square one - either have a constantly annoying fan noise (PWM of 26%) or have an cycling annoying fan noise using the Zero RPM setting which only lasts for 3 minutes - not great given the price of this graphics card. 

I was really disappointed to find that Sapphire under cooked the heat sink for the 5700XT Nitro + , just like my original RX 480 Nitro +. Sapphire put a much beefier heat sink when the RX 580 Nitro + was released as they knew or realised the RX 480's heat sink was too small.

My older Sapphire VEGA 64 Nitro + had a great heat sink and the Zero RPM fan setting was a true Zero RPM setting. However this card weighed 1.6kg vs the RX 5700 XT Nitro + at 1.1kg - i.e. there was approx 500g more heat sink for the VEGA 64 Nitro+ card.      

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

I would use the previous driver..the one that worked.

Honestly, I use the Automatic setting for fans and temp in Global settings. I have never exceeded 63C ...and that is playing a browser game....where max fan speed was 25-30%.

0 Likes
buzzalar
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Same problem. On the same card. 26% is too much for idle mode. Earlier, when i used the old drivers, there was no such limiter,and i could easily change it to 5%, for example. Sad(

bobalazs
Adept III

Jump to solution

Tbh iirc they said this "high" fan speed is what was intended to be default. Something to do with ramp up speeds for fans.

0 Likes