Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adept I
Adept I

Re: 20.2.2 fan PWM% setting not going lower than 26%

Jump to solution

kingfish

It's a reference Blower card, you can't use zero RPM with blower cards ...

Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Ooops...I learn something every day

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

As I suggested in an earlier part of the conversation, I get AMD's approach, but I thought that the reason for having Wattman and now Performance Tuning was to allow users to adjust settings, including fan settings, outside (both above and below) the default vBIOS settings in our cards. My Nitro+ vBIOS minimum fan PWN setting is 26% but earlier versions (before 20.2.2) of Adrenalin 2020 Performance Tuning did allow me to go lower than this - as it should.

I certainly don't mind AMD's approach for users who do not want to play with their default settings, but for those of us who do, I can't quite understand why AMD removed this level of functionality - especially given the requirement to click the 'I agree' button when first using Performance Settings.    

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

higgih01 wrote:

My Nitro+ vBIOS minimum fan PWN setting is 26% but earlier versions (before 20.2.2) of Adrenalin 2020 Performance Tuning did allow me to go lower than this - as it should.

"As well, Adrenalin 2020 Edition version 20.2.2 fixes an error in the Advanced Fan Control user interface whereby a lower limit PWM percentage may have been incorrectly reported in Radeon Software, when in fact the fan was running at the higher minimum PWM defined by the product’s VBIOS."

So you were a happy camper when the percentage was incorrectly reported (and you had no issues) but now they fixed it to report the correct percentage you are not happy. Even tho nothing changed. 

Here's a idea!! Reinstall the previous driver that had the incorrect values..and then use "have disk" to install the  display drivers only from the latest version. That way you will have the latest drivers with the previous control panel. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I just installed the 5700XT to my system and I have the exact same problem. The fan speed in idle is 1225 RPM, way too loud. I use my computer 80 % for work and 20% for gaming. I uninstalled the latest driver, 20.4.1 and installed the Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise. This driver allows me to set the fan speed to 11% so the fans are now running at 693 RPM, the temperature of the card is 39 degree celsius and I can't hear the card anymore.

AMD please integrate this option to lower the fans to under 20% into the next regular driver update. There are a lot of people working at home now due to the Corona virus and the last thing they need is a noisy fan - ALL - DAY - LONG!

Thanks.

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I use my computer for music production (DAW) and 1200 RPM is too loud. If AMD doesn't fix this problem I guess I have to sell my  RX5700XT 50th Anniversary and it is a shame, because this graphic card is a very good hardware. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

If you left your settings alone..and not changed your Global settings...you would have Zero RPM. There is nothing wrong with the software or drivers.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Try the Radeon Pro software 20.Q2 ? It still use the previous system where you could lower it to 10%.

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I guess that he's talking about a reference 5700 XT (blower design).

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

This solved my problem. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos