Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

higgih01
Adept III

Re: 20.2.2 fan PWM% setting not going lower than 26%

Jump to solution

I think you are correct with this, but isn't the point to the Performance Tuning feature in Adrenalin is that it allows users to alter aspects of their cards outside/different from the default settings?

I am all for a better approach to ramp-up speeds as a default setting, but I would like to have the power to manually override the default settings using Performance Tuning - otherwise I am not sure why AMD would give users Performance Tuning functionality? I can't quite see why it was permitted in 20.2.1 and not in 20.2.2, unless it was an unintended consequence of some changes in the Adrenalin software which I trust get addressed in later versions.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

I don't understand...in Global settings use the default settings (automatic) with zero RPM and in the game profile set your higher fan/temp and power limit.

0 Kudos
higgih01
Adept III

Jump to solution

zero RPM mode does not stay 'zero' on my Nitro + card for very long. The heat sink is not larger enough to maintain zero rpm for desktop work unfortunately, and the card's three fans spool up to 1300rpm every 3 minutes, which is really noticeable.

Believe me, I would like nothing more than if the fans never came on under very low loads. The promise of actual, sustainable zero RPM is one of the main the reasons I bought the Nitro + version of the 5700 XT as I thought that the zero RPM mode was a true 'zero' RPM mode just like my Sapphire VEGA 64 Nitro + card. But it has not turned out this way for me. All the reviews I read of the Nitro + stated that the card was zero RPM under desktop loads, but it seems that they did not test this feature of the card for long enough to realise that the heat sink could not maintain the temps from climbing up to 60 degC, at which point the fans come on.  

I really hate noise for productivity work, and I found that by setting the fans to a PWM of 12% = 510 rpm (approx) the card's fans are virtually silent and keep the GPU at around 50 deg C. This is only for when I am using my PC for desktop/productivity work - I don't care as much if the fans speed up to in games as I am wearing headphones, plus I have undervolted the card to 1075mV and underclocked the card to 2050mHz which is really effective at keeping the GPU cooler and quieter than the stock voltage/speed. 

Because 20.2.2 now only allows me to set a minimum PWM of 26% the fans are much louder than the 12% I could get with 20.2.1, and I am left cursing both the card and AMD as I am forced to put up with it being either constantly loud (PWM 26%) or even louder every 3 minutes (zero RPM mode that does not stay at zero RPM longer than 3 minutes).  

I just want to get some pride of ownership (and get my money's worth ) with this card, but I am not feeling it right now. I trust that this makes sense.

0 Kudos
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

With regard to your issue, this is the response I have received from Driver Engineering.

Some Radeon owners may have noticed that with our latest Adrenalin 2020 Edition version 20.2.2 posting, the lowest allowable PWM percentage in fan tuning has been modified or increased versus previous drivers. This change is the result of revised logic that now correctly sets the minimum fan PWM percentage to the minimum limit defined by the product’s VBIOS. As well, Adrenalin 2020 Edition version 20.2.2 fixes an error in the Advanced Fan Control user interface whereby a lower limit PWM percentage may have been incorrectly reported in Radeon Software, when in fact the fan was running at the higher minimum PWM defined by the product’s VBIOS. It is expected that with these fixes, users will have a lowest selectable point on their fan curve that conforms to the PWM limit defined in their specific product’s VBIOS.

View solution in original post

higgih01
Adept III

Jump to solution

Hi ray_m - this is really valuable and helpful information. Thank you very much for sharing it as it does certainly clarify this issue for me. I can certainly appreciate AMD's approach here. The only question I have is that I thought the reason for including Performance Tuning (and Wattman before it) was to allow users to push the envelope of settings beyond what is set in vBIOS, including the fan profile.  

I can only guess at how difficult it is to get fan setting functionality balance (user control vs. card vBIOS control) just right in Adrenalin Performance Tuning given the range of board partner designs and vBIOS tweaks over an above the reference card's design.  

Given this valuable information, I will upgrade to 20.2.2 and revert back to the default fan curve settings (including Zero RPM mode kingfish!) as I do prefer to keep my GPU drivers as up-to-date as possible given all the good work AMD is doing to continually improve and enhance them.     

havoc-28
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi,

Hum, so 5700 XT reference blower design minimum fan curve is now 20 % starting with 20.2.2 and so on ?

Initial reviews from July 2019  : 700 RPM at idle ("fixed" with a later driver but you could still revert to 700ish RPM at idle), and now 1200 RPM at idle is the minimum ... No going back right ?

Sorry to restart this one, just to be sure ...

scrabble
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have an RX 5700 Blower (reference design) and an RX Vega 64 Blower, and I am really shocked that this problem is marked as resolved. Previously, the fan was at 760 rpm at idle, which was very silent. Now the fan runs at 1225 rpm at idle, which is noisy when working. This is not acceptable for daily work. I hope that this problem will be fixed in future drivers, as it’s no use having advanced ventilation management if you can’t set the minimum speed correctly.

kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

As far as I know, 20% fans at idle have been the norm for AMD graphics for years. It's not something new.

0 Kudos
havoc-28
Adept I

Jump to solution

kingfish

Well, on Reference Blower 5700/5700XT from initial driver to 20.1.3 you could go as low as 10 %. As said, on initial reviews, the blower was running  around 700 ish RPM at Idle, it was corrected on a later driver, but you could still ajust the fan as low as 10 %. You read a review, "low noise at idle, 700 rpm", later there is a driver that change it but you still can manage to go as low as 10 %, no problem, but 7 month later, it changed again and the minimum is 20 % around 1200 ish rpm, maybe it's how it was intended to work from the start, but now it's not good for some ... if from the start it was 20 % minimum (1200 ish rmp at idle), i would not have bought the reference card ... Now what are my choice if nothing change, sell it ? change the radiator ? 

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

You can use zero rpm in global settings.

0 Kudos