Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

20.1.3 Complete Mess

It's yet another Complete Mess guide.

HDMI Scaling locks to 30FPS (I cant see the edges of my display on all resolutions)

Power Efficiency feature missing from the VII and XT range. 

Black screen of death on idle (Powerplay issue)

3D applications utilizing 300mhz core, results in either a crash or stuttering (Phantom Lag)

Core spikes over 2500+mhz in 3D applications. 

Driver GUI crashes out can corrupt the AMD driver installation results in BSOD.

Wattmann is corrupt. Still unstable after all these years.

DPM0 State for the VII is 25mhz which is far too low, results in GUI lag.

Edited Px states take no effect with wattman or Afterburner, its still a P0 lock at 800mhz.

OC settings just seem to reset and deletes all my profiles when I'm online?

Weird IP addresses blocked from the driver? Why is my GPU driver sending inbound/outbound requests?

No games play solid 60FPS because of your stupid downclocking powerplay crap.

FRTC is missing from the GUI panel. This is required for DX applications with no vsync or framecap option.

Also now the engines are crashing out, what the hell have you done?

25 Replies
sergserg
Journeyman III

AMD drivers have another problem, I would like to draw attention to it now, the person in this discussion showed the existence of the problem https://community.amd.com/thread/247527 

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Agreed.  The loss of FRTC is pretty glaring, but ultimately secondary to the fact that my Radeon VII system hangs on idle when just the desktop is up.  Previous drivers had issues with Radeon VII overclocking, but now I get system hangs for doing nothing at all.  That was true in the 19.12.2 release, as well as the latest release.

I am back on 19.4.1, which is still perfectly stable for my GPU.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a bloody circus, never in all my years seen so many bugs with the driver.

I've told them already, not wasting any money on them, it'll be a full refund with a bricked GPU.

Sick of this company, scam artists when you see through it.

instant_win
Adept III

adding lazy paste from my reddit rant

-wana bump saturation by 20% in only 1 game profile? NOPE, it bumps for whole desktop

-wana turn down all clock states to 500mhz and power limit -50 in 1 game profile because it has simple 2d graphics? NOPE. if you run afterburner lowered clocks will stick for good for all games until you restart AB

-want record some game? NOPE. relive recordings stutter and stop randomly with corrupted audio

-maybe wana slap perf overlay on your screen instead of afterburner? NOPE. gpu load , vmem usage are broken. gpu load for a year now

-wana use HEVC codec for recording instead of avc for extra quality? NOPE. its grainy and out of focus

-dont forget to turn off hw acceleration in browser and discord, because its faster without it and doesnt crash

rx580

0 Likes
wandrer
Adept II

The strange behavior with clocking the core, does this contain even the lags of some DX9 games? Or is that a seperate issue?

I'm mainly talking about Guild Wars 2, where a RX5700 generates less FPS than a RX480 with identical hardware:

i7 7700K

16GB DDR4-2400

Windows running from a Cruical MX100, games running from a Samsung 970 EVO.

Windows 10 Build 1909 with all updates to this date (2020-01-25, YYYY-MM-DD)

The RX5700 stutters with all 20.x drivers as well as the 19.x drivers. 

The engine is limited by the CPU, but anyways the RX5700 should at last be as fast as the RX480.

An AddOn called 912pxy, a DX9 to DX12 wrapper, regularily crashes the whole driver, only hardreset ist an option after that.

So something with DX9 is working realy really wrong with newer Adrenalin 2020 drivers.

UPDATE:

Maybe i'm onto something. 

Guild Wars for an example uses a D3D9.dll version from october 2019, Windows 10 has one from january 2020, which is newer, as for the D3D compiler, Guild Wars 2 uses version 43, Windows 10 has a version 47.

So i was wondering just maybe something was changed in Windows 10 too.

I'm trying with this configruration right now:

c:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-directx-direct3d9_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.18362.387_none_17fc2e96f27ea370\d3d9.dll
+ c:\Windows\SysWOW64\D3DCompiler_47.dll

in the game folder.

And i found another one with a differnet size:

c:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\D3Dcompiler_47.dll

Update:

I still get lags, but fewer and less long and i get the feeling that the basic FPS got up quite a bit as well as loading times got down.

0 Likes
ulteror
Adept I

I immediately got a black screen when windows refreshed itself to use the new driver. lol. Who are the moderators of this place? Are they that useless?

0 Likes
8-fingered
Adept III

Smooth sailing on Vega.

0 Likes
somet
Adept II

Getting plenty of errors all round on 2 * RX 480's 

- Mainly can't select crossfire settings for any game, for every game it is now disabled.

- Various games crash, to which  I believe on investigating the problems with each game is this specific driver version.

- I am investigating if my Bios is causing an issue as not updated it in a few years.

0 Likes

First off DDU is indicated then try 20.1.3 fresh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

We used DDU to clear the driver and used Autoruns to clear leftover DLL's, reg cleaned.

We have tested the 20.1.3 and this thread is the result.

I have 15+ major issues with these drivers, it never ends.

Never in my years seen the driver in such a mess.

Bloody hell AMD.

so far looking over the radeon screens, found one with no scroll bars

what specific problems are you noticing

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

All issues are in the thread list.

The main 3 issues are.

1. HDMI Scaling locks to 30FPS (I cant see the edges of my display on all resolutions)

2. Power Efficiency feature missing from the VII and XT range

3. DPM0 State for the VII is 25mhz which is far too low, results in GUI lag.

If these 3 main issues are not fixed I have no choice but to refund, as I cannot fix these problems.

I cant see the edges of my display, all games lag with stupid downclocking, the windows GUI lags with DPM0 state of 25mhz its a complete mess.

On what planet is this acceptable?

I wonder if your HDMI cable is limiting your frame rate

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, infact the 'HDMI Scaling locking to 30hz' has already been replicated on AMD's side, they have replied stating they have reproduced the issue and working on a fix, I own 24c gold cables dude.

Same cables on the FuryX, no issues.

With the sheer amount of info I have posted regarding the bug, you should know by now, its AMD at fault.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

No, infact the 'HDMI Scaling locking to 30hz' has already been replicated on AMD's side, they have replied stating they have reproduced the issue and working on a fix, I own 24c gold cables dude.

Same cables on the FuryX, no issues.

With the sheer amount of info I have posted regarding the bug, you should know by now, its AMD at fault.

Thanks again.

I have seen a few other with HDMI stuck at 30 Hz which suggests a flakey cable as it has been seen on both Radeon and Geforce cards

I have been using DisplayPort for god knows how long and it has never let me down.

Despite the recent DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE – HARDCORE GAMES™ I am sticking with 20.1.3 only as long as it takes for a new driver to surface

19.4.1 drivers are old and they should work on the Fury but not sure how well the Radeon VII likes them

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have tried all driver versions and there all unstable rushed junk.

You should know by now, that by moving the HDMI Scaling slider from 0% to 1% will lock to 30hz, that is 100% not a cable problem.

We have used both HDMI and Displayport, both the same result.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

We have tried all driver versions and there all unstable rushed junk.

You should know by now, that by moving the HDMI Scaling slider from 0% to 1% will lock to 30hz, that is 100% not a cable problem.

We have used both HDMI and Displayport, both the same result.

Thanks again.

I am running out of ideas, I do not see a need for scaling on my box as the LCD is operating as expected.

I can suggest one last idea, reset the LCD and see if the Raden VII likes that better using DisplayPort. If your LCD does not have a reset on the OSD then disconnect all the cables and leave it powered off for 60 seconds.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The AMD Team have emailed me stating they have replicated the issue and are working on a fix.

There's nothing we can do right now, we have tried every theory out there. I have already tried to reset the LCD, no luck I'm afraid.

The problem is when are they actually going to fix these issues?

Nearly a month later and they haven't even fixed the HDMI Scaling, yet alone the downclocking issues.

0 Likes

I guess I am of two minds about it.  The drivers, as you have demonstrated are pretty bad.  However, at least for the Radeon VII the 19.4.1 drivers work fine.  Sure, I don't get the latest features or game optimizations, but I'm not really chewing at the bit to try out those features either.  19.4.1 is 100% stable at a solid overclock in all the games I play.

I guess I'll just sit back at wait for the rest of this mess to sort itself out.  

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The drivers are a complete mess, even the 19.4.1, the core MHz downclocks to130mhz in games, its a joke.

New driver out, it took them a week to fix a few basic errors, I think 1 guy works on the driver right now, its going to take years to fix these major issues which they hiding.

0 Likes
gunbuster
Adept I

So am I seeing this right? No longer any way to lock out HBM state0 in tuning so I'm back to random black screen crashes? thanks for nothing update. should have stayed at 19.x

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried to hack the DPM0 state for ages now, no luck, please help if you can.

0 Likes

Found you can set and save a custom profile, then go edit the .xml 

<FEATURE ID="5" Enabled="False">
<STATES>
<STATE ID="0" Enabled="False" Value="167"/>
<STATE ID="1" Enabled="False" Value="500"/>
<STATE ID="2" Enabled="True" Value="700"/>
<STATE ID="3" Enabled="True" Value="800"/>
<STATE ID="4" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>
<STATE ID="5" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>
<STATE ID="6" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>
<STATE ID="7" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is fantastic! But still need to find the DPM0 state which is 25mhz? So STATE ID 0 could be 2000mhz and would still downclock because of the DPM0 state of 25mhz, its 25mhz to 2000mhz. We need to find and edit the DPM0 state.

<FEATURE ID="5" Enabled="False">
<STATES>
<STATE ID="0" Enabled="False" Value="1150"/>
<STATE ID="1" Enabled="False" Value="1450"/>
<STATE ID="2" Enabled="True" Value="1750"/>
<STATE ID="3" Enabled="True" Value="1850"/>
<STATE ID="4" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>
<STATE ID="5" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>
<STATE ID="6" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>
<STATE ID="7" Enabled="False" Value="0"/>

Have you managed to successfully edit the DPM0 state with this? Can you try these values please?

Absolutely brilliant discovery, great work!

Thanks again and hope to speak soon.

0 Likes

where did you find this?

0 Likes