cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jamesclow
Adept I

1920x Windows 11 Support?

Does anyone have any official answer from AMD about why they've abandoned all of their customers who bought 1st Gen Ryzens. It seems like Microsoft were in discussion with AMD about what to include in the compatibility list, so AMD must have an answer for this. Do AMD plan to provide Windows 11 drivers for Windows 11 for 1st gen threadrippers? 

0 Likes
18 Replies

AMD is not the company that decides which processors are compatible with Windows 11. That is up to Microsoft that decides which processors will be compatible with it latest Windows version.

At the moment, all 1st generation AMD processors are not compatible with Windows 11 unless during Windows 11 testing by Users Microsoft finds out that certain Non-supported Processors are actually compatible and will update the Compatibility List for Windows 11.

So you will need to wait until Windows 11 is officially released to the Public to find out if any 1st generation AMD processors are compatible or not.

In my opinion, Compatibility is due to the processor's security and technical features.

As it stands right now the Microsoft Health check app gives me a green tick on everything but the 'being on the supported list'. The issue is that there is no technical reason given at all. A cynical person left in the dark about the decision making might be left drawing their own conclusions based upon who is to financially gain from forcing hardware upgrades. Not me though.

I feel sorry for AMD as Microsoft are clearly not sharing any compatibility requirements, and any of their newer CPU's might not be Windows 11 compatible

0 Likes

All AMD Ryzen Zen and older processors will not be compatible with Windows 11.

Pretty sure you have 3 more years on windows 10/support.

0 Likes

Excuse me... 3 years?

I will be forced to throw away my perfectly fine Threadripper if I want to remain in the windows 11 mafia?

My oh my... for someone that would not know better, this is already a callous response... but for an enterprise IT solutions architect with 20 years experience, I'd say this:

"AMD COULD provide proper drivers to ottemperate to the void between the missing hard-coded cpu functions that are required by the new OS with drivers, so that Microsoft (completely UN-incentivated to do the same work on their own for free on AMD's behalf) would include it in the installation, hence resolving the issue."

or

"AMD could work with Microsoft and write the required code to allow for the required missing hard-coded features in the first generation threadripper (security or otherwise) to be included as soft-code driver"

After all we are talking about a 4 year old CPU of the highest tier.. .Come on AMD up your game !!

Seriously? We are going to hide behind the "its their fault not ours"?

Intel, Nutanix, even ARM went ahead and worked... no... SCRAMBLED.. to get their tier I and II CPU's up to par in the support list, so the equivalent to this CPU are compatible... actually CPUs PRE-DATING the 1920x will be compatible:  a plethora of i3, i5, i7 and i9 provided cpu core code support so that their cpu would make the W11 cut: i7-7800X, i7-7820HQ, i7-7820X, i7-8086K, i7-8500Y and Core i9-11900, Core i9-7920X, Core i9-10850K, Core i9-10900X, Core i9-9900X, Core i9-11900T are just a few of CPUs same GEN or older than the 1920x which made the cut.

So you are telling me that I have to concede that AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x is UNABLE to run that OS while its architectural predecessors and same gen (e.g. Ryzen 3 2300x and Ryzen 5 2600) and competitors are?

Telling me/us that "its not us, its them" pointing the finger at Microsoft does not a solution offer, and it as poignant as pitiable.

1920x is current, works perfectly fine and is a workhorse that could live another 5 to 6 years without feeling outdated.

What you are stating here is that AMD Tier I cpu's are to be considered viable ONLY for 7 years from conception (2018 to 2024): then it is perfectly OK replacing them...

I love my 1920x, it's a cracking workhorse so Windows will be going into the landfill in 3 years, not my CPU. I'm in the process of migrating away from Windows 10 to Kubuntu and learning how to configure WINE to run Windows only apps. My only main loss is going to be my 365 subscription and Onedrive storage, so if Microsoft want to punch themselves in the face by pushing me to Google paid solutions that's up to them. 

If AMD are prepared to remain officially silent whilst Microsoft unreasonably take a dump on AMD's customers, then I foresee a future where a CPU alternative to AMD and Intel under Microsofts thumb will be an Apple CPU.  I'm not convinced now is a good time for AMD to play weather vaine moving to Microsofts flatulent wind. Loyalty goes both way and right now AMD are sitting in a corner snickering whilst pointing a finger at Microsoft and waiting for the cash to roll in by forcing early CPU upgrades. A plague on both their houses.

I think we can still push 10 years, I mean just because windows 10 will cease to be supported doesn't mean we won't be able to use it. The problems will arise when the browsers will become unusable and then you would be forced to upgrade. I'm pissed though, I paid thousands for this PC back in 2017 I should at least get 10-12 years out of it I would assume. But if they do this than I will be switching to all Apple.

0 Likes

Apple is making it own Desktop and Laptop processors since 2020:

The Apple M-series Chip
And that answer is yes. Starting in 2020, Apple began transitioning away from Intel chips in its Mac computers. In 2020, Apple introduced the M1 chipset and in 2021 Apple introduced the M1 Pro and M1 Pro Max chipsets. Now an M-series chip powers all MacBooks and iMacs.
Nov 11, 2021

Does Apple Make Their Own Processors? | Know Your Mobile

0 Likes

Not going to lie but mine is still running great, I'm planning on getting another 10 years out of this computer if not longer and I'm sure that it is possible.

0 Likes

Not compatible or not supported? Does anyone know what the technical reason is? I thought AMD would have to know with them needing to make CPU's that are Win11 compatible.

0 Likes

I would say not supported by Microsoft..

Ryzen 1 is a few years old now and things move on, that's why i upgraded CPU and mobo..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Some older processor technically may not be compatible, doesn't support fTPM as an example, or Microsoft doesn't support certain processors even if they have what it takes to run Windows 11.

You need to ask Microsoft why certain processors are not supported if they support fTPM like the Zen AMD processors.

Also Microsoft has softened the specs  for TPM.  Now Windows supports TPM 1.2 & 2.0.

vialli100
Forerunner

I had a Ryzen 7 1700 from day one and found it wasn't compatible..

Really annoying, so I got a new mobo and CPU..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
Xsbulk
Journeyman III

I just joined this group to disapprove of how AMD had dealt with early  AMD Ryzen Zen and older processors

I brought a an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core processor 3.5 GHz, in good faith

But it can't update 1 windows update.

Way to go AMD  

That can't update to windows 11.

From all the replies they blame Microsoft, So I guess AMD has NO influence or any real partnership with Microsoft.

The only option seems to be abandon AMD and move to a supported CPU   

0 Likes

Keeping in mind AMD

These people that are relying to you are the hard core AMD supporters 

They went out and brought your first  AMD Ryzen Threadripper

And now with the lack of support 

They will go out and buy other CPU's 

Way to piss loyal customers off  

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

It is nothing to do with AMD, it's ultimately a Microsoft decision..

It is not only AMD CPU's either, Intel had the same thing.. So who you going to swap with? 

0 Likes

You are right, I have always supported AMD, now I will wait and support no one 

Thanks for your insight, be loyal to no one wait for a year after the new CPU's are released and buy the most common one, to get support 

Thanks Vialli100

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

It's not even about the most common one..

My R7 1700 would have easily ran W11.. But it's old tech.. So I upgraded..

0 Likes