cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

xlxmackxlx
Adept I

19.8.1 Atikmdag.sys bluescreen 5700 xt

I just installed the latest 5700 xt drivers 19.8.1 and when i restart i get a blue screen and code Atikmdag.sys and have had to go into safe mode and roll back the drivers i then downloaded the drivers and installed them manually thinking that the self down loader may be the problem but it didn't help any ideas   

1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

This issue should be resolved in 19.9.2 driver which can be downloaded here

View solution in original post

216 Replies
xlxmackxlx
Adept I

Update to the new driver just released download it from the amd website it fixed my problems 19.8 2

Are you sure?
I updated and it keeps crashing the System after some usage. (Mainly with browser usage)

0 Likes

Did you do incremental update? Or did you:
Disconnect from internet, DDU in safe mode. Boot to normal mode. Install 19.8.2. Reboot and then reconnect to internet.
Thanks.

0 Likes

Nops, incremental from 19.7.1.
I'll try DDU remove in safemode. Then fresh install in normal.

Tried without success.

Reverted back to 19.7.1 AGAIN

0 Likes

OK. Sorry to hear that. Often an incremental update causes blackscreening / BSOD on my AMD GPUs so I don't use it any more. I download latest version of DDU and download the new Driver Installer and make sure I am completely disconnected from internet during theentire removal and install process. The AMD installer has problems if you leave your PC connected to the internet. Sometimes Windows version of old AMD driver gets installed at Windows launch. AMD installer is blind to it's existence and therefore overwrites and old Windows "AMD Driver" installation with the new one w/o removal. This results in garbage driver install. Thanks.

0 Likes

Lucky you I suppose

On my end I updated to 19.8.2 and, while the frequency has dropped sharply, I still get BsoDs about Kernel Security Check Failure

Gotten about 3 so far today, even after DDU+fresh install

0 Likes

i also ran DDU and fixed registry and still have BSODs with 19.8.2

my monitor is 75hrz i cant even change to 75 or wattman will display all values at 0

i also tryed on BIOS to force GEN3 and nothing happens differently

0 Likes
tiagoslb15
Adept I

I have also the same problem with my new PC. Just randoms BSOD with the atikmdag.sys error. Already did the memtest, installed on diferent hard drives , update the bios to the latest version and still the same problem persists. 

PC specs: 

MSI x570 a-PRO

Ryzen 3700x 

radeon 5700XT

nvme WD black 250gb 

PSO HUMMER gold rated 750W .

Anyone knows if amd is working on the fix for this? 

0 Likes

This issue could occur if GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor or if the TDR setting is set too low. Delaying the TDR time can resolve the issue.
Try to follow this guide and tell if it helped: TDR fix

I had few BSoD event's (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, atikmpag.sys) with 5700xt when starting or exiting applications (never during the process) and i knew 100% that my cpu and ram are stable (hours of prime95 and memtest86), that my psu has no issues (hours of aida stress testing with vega 64 at +50% power limit) and nothing is overheating. With the delayed TDR time i haven't  encountered single BSoD with this system anymore.
Running with pci-e gen 4 enabled on a B450 motherboard

0 Likes

I'm Already with the driver 19.8.2, updated because i hopped it would be more stable . But wel normally the bsod that i have is the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA . Got that one about TDR failure too, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE , IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE,  and finally , KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. 

Thats a resume of all BSOD that i have encountered since the beggining of august, it started like day 2 of august or something , since that time that im trying to solve it  . 

thanks for your reply 

0 Likes

i have latest drivers, i have that TDR thing but still got BSOD's, i already changed the GPU for an equal and same problem happen (i moved from a vega64 that i had no problem)

0 Likes
hardreset
Elite

I have rx580 and also have bsod on 19.8.1 driver, but I found solution for my. change XMP ram speed in bios from orginal 3200 MHz to 2800Mhz. But on New driver 19.8.2 is beter now, and I back to 3200 MHz. 

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

It sounds like your current ram profile is not stable, try to run Prime95's blend stress test for at least an hour and check if there will be rounding errors in the program's logs or crashes.

0 Likes

I test my computer in prime95, window mdsched.exe , 3Dmark, Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility, and all test pass, no problem . 

But as I say now on 19.8.2 is stable no BSOD 

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

Open some browser with Hardware Accel. and play videos on this page: Video codec test page 

Instant BSOD.

0 Likes

Tried it in Chrome, made sure hardware accel is on - everything is alright but i couldn't play the MPEG4 one, refreshed page couple times but the play button wasn't active

0 Likes
geocrusher
Journeyman III

Glad but also disappointed in AMD that I'm not the only one going through this. I have just built this computer but this whole ordeal has been draining. I really did not want to be using my computer under the fear of all these bluescreens. This is a shame because my GPU just kills it in terms of price to performance where I am, switching to NVIDIA for the same price would be a downgrade!

I have been in contact with Sapphire but that did not really get me anywhere. I am convinced that is a software problem not anything at my end based on all these reports going on. I have sent a ticket to AMD and they mentioned that this issue has been escalated to the team already and I can only wish that the solution comes out soon. Right now I'm just using the generic display adapter from Windows just to browse the internet while I wait. Had enough with fighting with computer for now.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Education
  • Driver Version Installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.7.1 - 19.8.2
  • Display Devices
    • MSI Optix MAG241C
    • 1920 x 1080p 144 Hz
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Version 2605
  • CPU/APU
    • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage
    • EVGA SuperNova G3 650W
  • RAM
        - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4 3200

Describe your issue:

• Constant and frequent BSOD that often refer to atikmdag.sys failing with stop-codes:
    • KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK ERROR
    • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • Crashes happen with light use on Firefox watching YouTube or on other websites. Discord is also online.
  • Ran DDU too many times to count and attempted to install different versions of the driver for a while with no result. Currently I have did a complete reset on Windows.
    • Strange observance is that more often than not, when I see the progress bar reach almost 100% for the installation of Adrenaline, it immediately drops down to around 40% and "completes" at 50%. That can't be right.
  • In terms of gaming performance, I have been using Monster Hunter: World as a reference. I'm expected to reach around 90 FPS on the highest setting with smooth gameplay. However, no matter which graphic setting I used while uncapping and disabling V-SYNC, I am stuck around 60 FPS or less with choppy gameplay. I had one install perform as expected, but I still encountered BSODs.
  • Originally encountered VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE but that has been fixed by going to the UEFI and changing from AUTO to GEN 3. This is also fixed with the new ASUS BIOS update that removes GEN 4. This is no longer a problem.

• Windows Memory Diagnostic reveals no issue with my RAM. Windows boots in my SSD. I have a 2 TB HDD that is just storage, so there can't be a problem there.
0 Likes

0 Likes
jazzyuga
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. Driver version 19.8.2 Three BSODs in one day.

My specs:

reference RX 5700(non XT)

R5 3600

Asus b450 f gaming

2x PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

1x IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0 Likes

0 Likes
braiven
Adept II

I'm getting Bluescreens on Twitch with Firefox using a RX 5700 XT and sometimes the driver crashes in SC or I get weird stutterings like the Vram would be full or something, but it's not. Everything in my system works fine according to GPUZ and the system stats in the task manager. I watched the stats both for hours on my second monitor when playing games. Also videos starting to lag and stutter in Chrome when I watch Twitch on my left monitor and another video on my big 21:9 monitor, even when both trying to play the videos in 480P or lower. Not sure what is normal anymore or not with this card. I feel like a beta tester.

0 Likes
mrdarkraver
Adept I

After re-installing my PC last night, I was finally (after 2 weeks) being able to play Sea Of Thieves, FINALLY!

Then, my 1TB HDD crashed, all my files gone. Well, that could happen, but it sucks.

Now, getting constant BSODs ingame and also in desktop.

Driver : 19.8.2
MB : MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Card : Sapphire Pulse XT 5700 XT.

FML SMH GTFO BG

0 Likes
scarceloot
Adept III

I had pretty stable build until I went to 19.8.2 and was unpleasantly surprised by the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD upon boot up. I am also experiencing random half screen darkening, where exactly 1/2 (the right side) of my screen darkens for a few moments. This has happened on bootup & in-game but typically corrects itself after a few seconds (though it tends to occur of few times in a row)

I saw a mention regarding PCIe Gen 3 correcting this issue which leads to a MOBO bios not being able to support gen4 - it also just so happens that I’m on an old AGESA version (1.0.0.3A). There is a beta update out for ABB which I will attempt later but I’ve heard mixed reviews of the stability of it. 

This is is a damn shame we’re all still having this many issues (and exactly the same ones) :/

Specs:

Driver 19.8.2

5700xt Sapphire blower

x570 gaming Pro Carbon 

crucial ballistix elite ddr4 3600 cl16

I just updated my bios. Will need to run a few tests. I also have issues with using multiple monitors. I am not sure if this is a related issue or separate. HWAcc = Off, Slight change to global graphics profile and wattman fan curve.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Pro 18362.295
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.8.2
  • Display Devices
    • 3 Monitors + 1 TV
    • 1920 x 1080p 60 Hz
    • GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING, BIOS 42a
  • CPU/APU
    • Ryzen 7 1700x
    • EVGA SuperNova G3 750W
  • RAM
        - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4 3200, Downclocked to 2133 at the moment for stability testing.
0 Likes

I've been playing MH:W, listening to music, and watching videos for little over an hour. I haven't had a BSOD.

0 Likes
p0tze
Journeyman III

Same problems here since installing my SAPPHIRE PULSE 5700XT . Lots of blue screens while playing games. Youtube is stuttering and the 1/2 of my screen gets dark sometimes when starting a game. AMD should bring a hotfix for this, as gaming or even using my pc ain't so funny anymore.  Friend of mine has prety much the same issues with his MSI 5700 XT. 

Contacted AMD and SAPPHIRE this week. They came up with a couple of steps mentioned in this post before, like re-installing drivers (clean) and bios update my MB. Unfortunately nothing helped so far, so i am pretty disappoited and can imagine a lot of you with me. We also tried disabling hardware acceleration and scaling back to 60 Hz but no results. 

Think the best solution you have for now is using your old card if you still have one and wait for the fix or just sell the damn thing and buy a different one..

0 Likes
smi0
Adept I

Hi guys. I have same problem. When i start PUBG, my PC hangs with a black screen or the game crash happens :/

But sometimes a blue screen..

Drivers 19.8.2

RX5700XT Gigabyte reference

Xeon E5 2689

Motherboard 3.2s1 
4x8 DDR3 ECC-REG 2133mhz

Seasonic Focus Plus Modular 80+ Gold 850watt

0 Likes
animebro
Adept I

Update bios fixed issues, I have hardware acceleration off as well. No more BSOD

0 Likes

Try enabling HW accel. again to confirm it's a real fix.

0 Likes

The bios update didn't fixed the issue.
The hardware accel. disabled that "fixed" the issue.

0 Likes
tiagoslb15
Adept I

Guys i tryed now to install the driver (version 19.7.1 - july7) . Until now i had no BSOD and the system seems to be more stable. At least it deserves a shot . i only can give a 100% stability if the systems keeps like this at least 1 week so we'll see and hoping amd fix this problem asap. I already submited a ticket to amd, msi and saphire about the problem and im waiting for the reply. I will keep you posted.   

0 Likes
cailleb
Journeyman III

• AMD Graphics Card
    • XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Pro  ver 1903
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin 19.8.2
  • Display Devices
    • 2 Monitors HP Omen and ViewSonic
    • 1920 x 1080p 60 Hz
    • ASUS Rog Crosshair VIII Hero  BIOS rev 0803
  • CPU/APU
    • Ryzen 9 3900x
    • Corsair RM850x 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold
  • RAM
        - G.Skill FlareX DDR4 3200

I've gotten at least a dozen BSODs on a new system build less than a week old. Fresh install of Windows.

0 Likes
ckflentje
Journeyman III

AMD - I too just bought and installed Radeon 5700 XT. I tried both 19.8.1 and 19.8.2 drivers.

I uninstalled all previous drivers (in SAFE mode), and did a clean install of each version. Both drivers still give me a blue screen. The blue-screen error seems to appear at random times. I can not reproduce the error or tell what app is causing it.

Here are my specs:

Radeon Software Version - 19.8.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Memory Size - 8176 MB
Memory Type - GDDR6
Core Clock - 1755 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Radeon Settings Version - 2019.0808.1917.34733
View Release Notes - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-8-1
Driver Packaging Version - 19.30.01.29-190809a-345604E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01410
OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.13570
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.12
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.99
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.113

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Device ID - 731F
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 2398
SubSystem Vendor ID - 148C
Revision ID - C1
Bus Type - PCI Express 4.0
Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16
BIOS Version - 017.001.000.049
BIOS Part Number - 111
BIOS Date - 2019/08/08 03:54
Memory Size - 8176 MB
Memory Type - GDDR6
Memory Clock - 875 MHz
Core Clock - 1755 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth - 448 GByte/s
Memory Bit Rate - 14.00 Gbps
2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000
OpenGL® API Version - 4.6
OpenCL™ API Version - 2.0

Display: Dell U2713HM, DVI-D

Horizontal Timing Total - 2080
Horizontal Timing Display - 1920
Horizontal Timing Front Porch - 48
Horizontal Timing Sync Width - 32
Vertical Timing Total - 1235
Vertical Timing Display - 1200
Vertical Timing Front Porch - 3
Vertical Timing Sync Width - 6
Horizontal Timing Polarity - Positive
Vertical Timing Polarity - Negative
Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive
G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 154000
G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 59.9502
HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled
Current Link Settings - Not Available

Any resolution would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'll probably switch to RTX 2070 Super.

0 Likes
neobim
Adept I

I'm also getting this on 19.8.1 and newer. After reverting to 19.7.5 (clean install in driver setup, didn't have to use DDU), my system is perfectly stable now! This is clearly a problem with 19.8.1

The crashes almost always occur when opening/closing Firefox tabs that make use of hardware acceleration (ie. Twitch, Netflix, Youtube). It doesn't always crash, but opening up Netflix and browsing around for a bit would usually crash me within 5-10 minutes.

The crazy thing is that I'm getting these crashes on Linux as well. Changing to a different (older) firmware bin seems to alleviate the crashing, so I firmly believe this is a firmware issue regardless of platform. The firmware version bundled with 19.8.1 is an issue on any OS. Please fix your Linux firmware as well!

BSOD messages: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION, and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA -- all pointing to atikmdag.sys

In Linux I simply get an error saying that sdma0 or sdma1 and waiting for fences timed out

In Linux specifically, I'm also crashing when loading certain games. Unsure if this is a driver problem or a firmware problem, but I'm thinking given this issue, very likely it could be firmware as well. Downgrading to 19.7.5 fixed all my issues in Windows, so I'm certain it's not a hardware issue.

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Sapphire 5700 XT
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1903
  • Driver version installed
    • Crashing: 19.8.1, 19.8.2 -- Not crashing: 19.7.5
  • Display Devices
    • Benq XL2411P @ 1080p 144Hz DisplayPort 1.2
    • HP 25xw @ 1080p 60Hz HDMI
    • Gigabyte X570-I -- BIOS F4
  • CPU/APU
    • 3700X
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Corsair SF750
  • RAM
    • G.Skill 16GB
0 Likes
deptec
Adept II

I havent tried 19.8.1 or 19.8.2 yet, cuz all of u ppl having bsod, so im still running on 19.7.5 without any problems

0 Likes

I ended up updating my bios to the beta ABB build (X570 Gaming Pro Carbon) - seems much more stable and havnt had any issues since. That’s also leaving pcie4 enabled. I also have not had the screen splitting issue (half the screen dims, but would stop after a few seconds or after alt tabbing) since updating the bios.

0 Likes
forkwny
Adept III

The 19.8.x drivers are buggy, at least that's been my experience with my AMD Ryzen 5 3500U laptop. It would BSoD multiple times per day, at random (sometimes mouse clicks would trigger a BSoD) on 19.8.1. On 19.8.2, I would encounter a BSoD once per day, if I was lucky, no BSoD. Other than RetroArch, I don't run many games on that laptop...I use it primarily for work and surfing the web. Uninstalling 19.8.x then rolling back to 19.7.5 resolves the problem. Never had a BSoD on 19.7.5 and prior drivers.

I'm running 19.8.2 on a Xeon desktop system (RX 560 series), no problems there at all.

-------------------------------------------------------
Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, RX 6700 XT GPU, Windows 11 Pro x64 build 23H2
0 Likes

Yeah i think the problem can be with the hardware acelerator thing , but in my case sometimes it would BSOD at idle , without anything opened. Submitted the pin and i didnt touched anything , 1 min latter bsod.

SO yes is not hardware problem because with the old driver 19.7.5 it solves everything and the system is completely stable. They need to dig on this or they will start to loose clients. I love amd products and the value they give me but cmon, we pay 450€ for a glitchy product , we'r not beta testers and we need at the minimum a stable system. 

I have a couple of friend that wanted buy this card  with the partners cards but they are thinkin on buying nvidia instead because of this problems, and yeah its really bad having a 1 month old shinny system and this happens. 

cheers 

0 Likes
zantsu
Adept III

Somebody crazy enough to test the new release (19.9.1)?
P.S.: I'll test after job.

0 Likes