cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tetriser
Adept II

[19.7.1] Programs won't use selected Switchable Graphics

So, I just discovered a very strange bug with Switchable Graphics from the 19.7.1 driver (which is currently the only recent driver to work with A8 processors and Windows 10 May 2019 Update).

It appears that programs no longer using the SG GPU that was set through Radeon Settings. Anyone else have this issue? Any possible solutions?

GPU: AMD Radeon R5 + HD 8500M

CPU: AMD A8-6410

0 Likes
9 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

mh, 

1st disable Windows Automatic Driver Install
2nd use DDU in SafeMode to clean your driver

3rd install latest driver again

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Already tried that, didn't worked

0 Likes
tetriser
Adept II

Contacted the support about this, but not sure if this issue will be solved in the next driver update or not.

0 Likes

https://community.amd.com/thread/207699 

Have you tried the latest driver 19.7.2 ?

0 Likes

Looks like it didn't solve the issue. Tried doing clean reinstall, still didn't worked.

0 Likes
tetriser
Adept II

I hope the next driver update can fix this issue.

0 Likes
tetriser
Adept II

I think the issue got stuck in the newer drivers, because I still can't set OBS to use my primary GPU even after installing the very latest version of the driver.

0 Likes
tetriser
Adept II

This is how the bug acts like:

0 Likes
manodeep_s
Adept II

Hi,

I am writing from my own PCs experience. My own PCs config is as under - 

System: HP 15 ba017ax laptop

Processor (APU): AMD A8-7410 with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.20 Ghz

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (14.9 GB usable)

Primary / Integrated Graphics Chipset: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics

Primary / Integrated Graphics Chipset Memory Size: 1024 MB

Discrete / Switchable Graphics Chipset: AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M330 (It is actually M430 - correctly identified by HP OEM drivers, but with AMD drivers it is identified as M330)

Discrete / Switchable Graphics Chipset Memory Size: 2048 MB (incorrectly identified as 1024 MB in Windows 10 task manager - performance tab)

I had seen all these messages wherein people find it impossible to make their discrete graphics chipset to work in Windows 10 with AMD Adrenalin 2020 drivers. Applications always tend to work with Primary / Integrated GPU, including measures like - Graphics settings in Win 10 settings etc.

Even I faced the same issue, wherein my games never used the discrete graphics and always forced my PC to work with the Primary / Integrated GPU causing serious slowdown of my PC. Graphics settings in my OS showed same GPU name in both power saving and High performance and selecting high performance there had no effects. Finally, I found a solution to my issues, which I am sharing with all - 

It is the Primary / Integrated GPU which is connected to display through hardware connection. The discrete graphics chip is not built as a separate hardware unit in my motherboard to be detected in the graphics settings of Win 10 under high performance tab. It is like a co-processor (a subset of the primary GPU) which need to be made visible to OS for usage through separate software, which is graphics driver. Once made visible to OS, it shares the hardware connection of the Primary / Integrated GPU to display for its performance. Now which driver to use.

I found AMD Radeon software version 19.11.1 https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-11-1  to be the latest one to provide switchable graphics tab, allow the High Performance GPU (Discrete / Switchable GPU) to be assigned to individual applications run on the system and the same is captured in the performance tab of Win 10 task manager while such applications are running. Also for the applications, I had assigned the Discrete / Switchable GPU (high performance GPU) in AMD radeon settings, I had also set them to high performance in Win 10 graphics settings to avoid any conflict from OS, though in there both GPUs are shown as same.

Any version after 19.11.1 gets into the ambit of Adrenalin 2020 wherein such switchable graphics options are unavailable. Adrenalin 2020 assumes that the graphics settings of Win10 will do this task of switchable graphics, but it seems Win 10 does not identify the co-processor model of discrete / switchable graphics.

Thus, it would be wise to stay at this level of graphics drivers till the time switchable options are restored in future adrenalin versions of radeon settings. Do let me know, if such measures helped you or not.

Thanks.

0 Likes