cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

krpataky
Journeyman III

19.12.3 & 19.12.2 freeze issue...help!

Had the issue with both 19.12.2 and 19.12.3...system hard freezes, need to power off to get it back.  Today, it's been randomly rebooting itself.  Hangs often occur during mouse movement or keyboarding, sometimes during audio playback.  Even hangs during screen saver w/no input.  Help, anyone?  AMD is playing dumb.

My laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 320-15ABR (AMD A12-9720P), w/integrated Radeon R7, 8 GB RAM, running Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1809.  I've cleaned off as much junk as possible, all Lenovo software removed, don't play any video games.  Very few additional apps installed.  All non-Microsoft services on boot disabled.  Have Logitech USB bridge installed for wireless mouse/kb.  Have Epson Perfection V19 scanner installed.  Logitech HD Webcam C615.  HP software for LaserJet P1606dn.  That's it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Esp. minimizing AMD software overhead/configuration to maximize stability.  Thanks!!

I rebooted the laptop into UEFI mode (on flash drive) w/no Windows or software drivers loaded, 12 hours of constant diagnostics w/2 different program (6 hrs each)...NO freezes or reboots!!!  Hardware is not the issue.  IT IS THE SOFTWARE.

I keep the laptop closed but connected to an external Dell monitor.  When the laptop freezes, the external monitor still displays content, but the laptop screen is often (though not always) black.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Clean install back to 19.12.1, or whichever last driver was working better for you.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
krpataky
Journeyman III

Yesterday I found that on the 9th of January AMD already released a 20.1.1 package which I installed. Even though the AMD software on my computer could not find that software when I prompted it to search for updates. So far so good.

0 Likes

If you had update check set to recommended only it would miss the beta.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Well, it's locking up again today...so the new 20.1.1 software didn't fix it. 

0 Likes

If drivers from AMD are not working for you, I would highly recommend you stick with drivers provided on the Lenovo site for your model. Since you are not a gamer, you have no real need for newer drivers anyway so stick with what Lenovo says works. If they don't work, contact Lenovo and ask them why their drivers don't work on their product. With AMD drivers they may or may not work okay on a laptop. it really depends on if the laptop maker stay with a reference design or changed it requiring proprietary changes to the driver to work right. I have not idea if that is your case but it is very common in the industry.