cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lilo33
Adept II

19.12.2 to 20.1.1 black screen issue when starting game ( turning off enhanced sync did not help)

Most of the origin games show black screen including :

1.battlefield 2,3,4,5,1

2.Alice madness

3.Need for Speed 2015, speed, heat, payback

3. Dragon Age 1,2,3

Other games include:

4. Forza Horizon

5. Doom 2016

Also, many more steam games do not work at all. I start the game and then its black screen...in some cases, you can hear a sound and in some cases, it's stuck completely.

Both 5700xt and r9-290x showing these problems in 19.12.2 and also in 19.12.3 (which did not fix anything.SOmethings to mention :

1. I installed all of this drivers fresh using DDU in safe mode ..etc

2. Windows 10 updated.

3. I tried the "turning off enhanced sync trick" which did not work in both drivers.

4. reverting back to 19.12.1 solves everything.

#Black Screen 

1 Solution
vigor021
Adept I

Hi again!

So i tried again to update on 20.1.3 and this time i can play games without having black screen and any other mayor issues.

What i did differently this time is uninstall drivers with DDU software. I haven't tried that before. I did all what software recommends(going in safe mod and such) and the problem is gone. At least the mayor issues are gone.

A few games i tested after i did the update:

Grim Dawn, GTA V, Temtem, KingdomCome, LoL.

I hope i can help someone.

lilo33legio113

View solution in original post

57 Replies
vigor021
Adept I

Still not working on 20.1.3

Have you tried updating your chipset? I downloaded the latest chipset and so far no issues and thats on 19.12.2

0 Likes

I have been with the rx 5700xt since I left I have the latest drivers including the bios. The only version that still works is 19.12.1. All subsequent give the same black screen error and return to the desktop. I know that there are no problems with all the graphics but the new ones are.

0 Likes

im talking about your cpu chipset drivers. i'm using the ryzen 5 3600 and once i updated the chipset on that it seems to be working. Before I couldn't even get 19.12.1 to work. 

0 Likes

Including the chipsed. I also have a rysen 7 but the problem does not come with the chipsed. It is a driver issue. We are talking about many people with this error and with different cpu and all with the same error. I am glad that in your case the error has been solved, but I already tell you that it is not because of the chipsed.

0 Likes
legio113
Journeyman III

Well, another version that continues to give errors: 19.12.2 - 19.12.3 - 20.1.1 - 20.1.2 - 20.1.3
I think I have had time to solve the error. And tell me to deactivate the freesync because it does not work in addition, that excuse is should work in its entirety.

0 Likes
lilo33
Adept II

I just can't believe it...my 50 percent library ( origin, steam ) has black screen enhanced sync problem and still in 

20.1.3 driver suppose a game running 70 fps then it suddenly goes down to 40 fps and stays there..core gpu clock goes down for some reason ( not because of temperature)

0 Likes

Yes mi to i have the problem. I have installed the new version 20.1.4 and nothing continues with the problem. I can't fix it. If anyone gets it please say so.

0 Likes
lilo33
Adept II

I am just amazed that AMd did not even bother to fix the problem... ray_m

0 Likes
vigor021
Adept I

Hi again!

So i tried again to update on 20.1.3 and this time i can play games without having black screen and any other mayor issues.

What i did differently this time is uninstall drivers with DDU software. I haven't tried that before. I did all what software recommends(going in safe mod and such) and the problem is gone. At least the mayor issues are gone.

A few games i tested after i did the update:

Grim Dawn, GTA V, Temtem, KingdomCome, LoL.

I hope i can help someone.

lilo33legio113

Thanks

From,

William Yeo

0 Likes

Thanks. This really helped

0 Likes

0 Likes

Nothing official, misinformation, the quote you provided was already given to Hardware Unboxing.

0 Likes

Whoop ti doo

"AMD is aware of user complaints regarding black screen driver crashes on Radeon GPUs and general instability and is investigating these concerns. That’s the word from company representatives, after ET reached out to discuss the situation."

0 Likes

We know about this already, nothing new...

0 Likes
harest
Adept II

I had this issue too with the latest driver (20.2.1) in Monster Hunter World and in Distance. If we're talking about the same issue, aka black screen in the way that the driver crashed and displays are not responding anymore. For instance my second monitor wasn't black but while i could move my mouse cursor hovering/clicking wouldn't display anything.

Instead of doing once more a hard reboot, i turned off the freesync of my main monitor and everything came back.

Since then i tried the solution someone offered me in this thread:RX 5700 XT - Massive fps drop with in-game steam notifications (friend messages).

The solution was to set startup type as disabled for "AMD External Events Utility" in the services (win+r -> services.msc). It supposedly makes FreeSync only work in fullscreen. So i now play most games in fullscreen instead of borderless.

Tried several times since to start MHW and Distance and it always worked, no more driver crash or something on launch with a black screen.

Yeah, that's the issue i had.

I have 3 displays, when starting a game all of them start to flicker and then i could only open task menager and shut down the game there. After that only my main display was working. The two on the side went black and i had to restart the pc for them to work again. Some times i had to adjust them in projecting options if i recall correct. Never tried to turn off freesync.

0 Likes