cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lilo33
Adept II

19.12.2 to 20.1.1 black screen issue when starting game ( turning off enhanced sync did not help)

Most of the origin games show black screen including :

1.battlefield 2,3,4,5,1

2.Alice madness

3.Need for Speed 2015, speed, heat, payback

3. Dragon Age 1,2,3

Other games include:

4. Forza Horizon

5. Doom 2016

Also, many more steam games do not work at all. I start the game and then its black screen...in some cases, you can hear a sound and in some cases, it's stuck completely.

Both 5700xt and r9-290x showing these problems in 19.12.2 and also in 19.12.3 (which did not fix anything.SOmethings to mention :

1. I installed all of this drivers fresh using DDU in safe mode ..etc

2. Windows 10 updated.

3. I tried the "turning off enhanced sync trick" which did not work in both drivers.

4. reverting back to 19.12.1 solves everything.

#Black Screen 

1 Solution
vigor021
Adept I

Hi again!

So i tried again to update on 20.1.3 and this time i can play games without having black screen and any other mayor issues.

What i did differently this time is uninstall drivers with DDU software. I haven't tried that before. I did all what software recommends(going in safe mod and such) and the problem is gone. At least the mayor issues are gone.

A few games i tested after i did the update:

Grim Dawn, GTA V, Temtem, KingdomCome, LoL.

I hope i can help someone.

lilo33legio113

View solution in original post

57 Replies
lilo33
Adept II

anyone?

0 Likes
legio113
Journeyman III

hi I have the same problem this new update has not helped me. The only solution has been to return to version 19.12..1

0 Likes
lilo33
Adept II

I also reverted back to 19.12..1. Fixed everything

0 Likes
squuiid
Adept I

DO AMD DO ANY QA TESTING AT ALL?!

Even the most basic of QA test routines would find this sort of thing. It is pervasive in this release and totally unacceptable.

Questions need to be asked as to why this was thought to be worthy of a release. Both 19.12.2 and .3 exhbit this problem. Does AMD even have a driver QA team these days? My guess would be no.

Of course, after they released the drivers you can go complain  Free workers are the cutomers.

0 Likes

The Users are the QA.

0 Likes
edmondvonersung
Adept III

I have this too on my Vega 64.

0 Likes

I have 5700xt and a r9 290x both showing samw problem.. what is thw point of buying amd gpu if we can't play any game...most of the game showing black screen problem whether enhanced sync turned on or off..and enhanced synced used to work fine in previous drivers..they don't want us to tag system engineer..then how can they know about the problem?

metallicastr2k
Journeyman III

Have the same issue with both 19.12.2 and 19.12.3, I reverted back to 19.12.1 and it works again.

I thought at first it was because I'm running an RX 5700 XT with an old i5-3570k but when I reverted back to .1 the issues went away (they released .2 the same day I got the new card). Also with .2 and .3 doing any tasks in windows or chrome will freeze my computer. My wife has the rx 580 with an FX-6350 and .2 and .3 do the same to her PC so we reverted hers back to .1 and all is well. We plan on upgrading our CPUs and boards to Ryzen 5 and 7 soon so hopefully they can fix this issue in time. Otherwise as it stands right now pretty much sticking with 19.12.1 tfu.

I don't understand what amd is doing...i really wanted to know what's the valuable opinion of the system engineer ray_m regarding this. ray_m

0 Likes

I also reverted back to 19.12.1...fixed everything..ray_m

0 Likes
lilo33
Adept II

Ananyone has any luck regarding this?

0 Likes
lilo33
Adept II

No one?

0 Likes

Problem is associated with GPU Scaling. My Vega 56 displays a dark grey screen upon resuming from standby unless GPU scaling is disabled. AMD QA is garbage. Nobody tested for BSOD's with 9.x either. Don't even bother with multi-monitor, as that has been broken since Windows 7, and you'd better use MadVR if you don't want to see pixels when playing video.

0 Likes
di3sirae
Adept I

Hello everyone.

Played all day with 19.12.3 without any issue that i was having before (screen flicker, black screen, minimize to desktop and game not opening again, video driver failure).

After many tests, i disabled Freesync from my MONITOR and everything is working as intended, if not better than before.
Therefore, Freesync is now DISABLED from both monitor and Radeon software.
GPU scaling is DISABLED (didn't test again, but it was not scaling game to fullscreen so i just disabled it).

I played League of Legends without issues (was giving video driver failure).
Elder Scrolls Online with Anti-Lag runs like magic.
Conan Exiles on Fullscreen with Chill and Enhanced Sync without any problems.

So, Anti-Lag, Chill and Enhanced Sync are actually working here. Radeon Image Sharpening too, interesting feature.

Specs:
R9 Fury X

i7 4790

16gb ram

win10

SAMSUNG U28E590 (display port)

Hello, R9 380(4gb) here, disabling Freesync from the monitor itself solves the issue and everything works. Thanks a lot of that! Most games that are DX9 were crashing really hard, Source Engine games like Tf2 and L4D2.

0 Likes

At first i was trying to disable Freesync ONLY from the software... things seemed to work but ended up crashing the same way. Disabling from the monitor really seens to fix everything for now.
OpenGL, dx10, dx9, everything appears to be working fine.
I can also play Warlords Battlecry III.

So i think it's just Freesync on monitor disabled until they fix it
Glad the fix worked for you too, i think 2020 driver really improved over 2019.

Happy new year!

0 Likes

My monitor doesn't have freesync but game still crashes...i iried everything... turning off enhanced sync... Both 5700xt and r9-290x showing same black screen problems.

0 Likes

Stay on 19.12.1 then for now, the only thing that fixed it for me was Freesync. You could try disabling other programs that run all the time, performance monitors, antivirus, etc., to see if they have any effect on games, but to be safer stay on the old driver. Also always uninstall old driver before installing another one.

0 Likes

You might want to pass this info on to AMD > https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

Interesting, i'll do it, thanks!

Noticed that I'm using Samsung too... Doing the same thing also solved my crash issue!!

Thanks a lot for your sharing

0 Likes

That's great!

I sent this info to the AMD support and they replied my e-mail saying that sometimes a higher refresh rate from monitor can cause problems and that i should set the refresh rate to the monitor one...? To be true, i didn't even understand what they were saying, but i replied the email and re-wrote everything and they didn't answer again.
Hope that they are actually looking into it.

0 Likes
legio113
Journeyman III

Someone solved the problem. I tried all the solutions and they don't work, still coming out of the games and black screen. This is my rx 5700 xt graphic only works with version 19.12.1

0 Likes

I am also using 19.12.1... this is just pathetic... I really hoped any programmer from Amd would care enough to comment here...but no... stopping enhanced synced did not work... enhanced sync totally broken now.

0 Likes
legio113
Journeyman III

Ok. Now we have new version 20.1.1.I hope it works. I will do the tests.

0 Likes
legio113
Journeyman III

Ok the new version have the same problem. this its a big problem .

I will have to return the radeon rx 5700 xt and buy a gtx 2070 super. It's embarrassing but it doesn't matter to me either.

0 Likes

It's still happening for you? Mine has been fixed and everything works as it should.

0 Likes
legio113
Journeyman III

Not only do I have a clan of games and some have the same system as me and have exactly the same problem. I am talking to them right now. What system do you have and what do you play?

0 Likes

I mostly play MW now recently but i play a lot of TF2 and other dx9 games and i have an R9 380 4 gb from Sapphire.

0 Likes
legio113
Journeyman III

I don't know if there are these problems in R9. At least in the new 5700 models there is this problem and with the games that run dx11 or 12. We have disabled free sync and vertical sync. And it doesn't work in 60hz or 144hz. The only thing that works is to return to version 19.12.1. Pathetic

0 Likes
bornleadercmt
Journeyman III

Sapphire 5700 xt here exact same issues. i even sent back the gpu for RMA which they returned after finding no faults. 19.12.1 is giving me BSOD so cant even use that one, I've now done a fresh install of windows (great fun having to sort that out). I'll give 19.12.1 another try and hopefully itll fix the issue. Any luck on 20.1.2? Has anyone had any response from AMD? Can't even return my card for a Nvidia :@

0 Likes

the card no issue, 99% related to radeon enhanced sync. could be related to ur monitor refresh rate, especially acer monitor. just turn the radeon enhanced sync off

0 Likes
emeralda
Journeyman III

after turn off radeon enhance sync, my screen no more black screen. problem solved . my pc build r5 3600, 16gb vengeance pro, 5700xt red devil.

REMEMBER switch graphics profile to standard, if u pick gaming profile, the radeon enhance sync will turn back on.

0 Likes
riverbr
Adept III

still having this issue on 20.x.x versions. RX 480

0 Likes

Same here! RX290

I guess we are stuck in 2k19

0 Likes

try the new version (20.1.3), it's working for me. no more black screen on NFS 2015

riverbr
Adept III

version 20.1.3, it's working. I'm not having the problem anymore. NFS 2015 is working again, no black screen on init

legio113
Journeyman III

Well nothing I just did the tests of 20.1.3 and nothing still does not work.

0 Likes