Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

goosethesecond
Adept III

Re: 19.12.1 is still the most stable...

Jump to solution

I did not do DDU/safemode. I just downloaded the 20.2.2 drivers and manually installed it. I did this on purpose to see how it goes. I've still only played the MW Warzone training that I mentioned went VERY smoothly without a single hiccup and the game is maxed out to oblivion. 

This weekend I will try BF4 and BF5 which ALWAYS crashed on every full install of 2020 drivers thus far which always had me reverting back to 19.12.1.

IF the games do crash this weekend, I will then DDU/safemode back into 19.12.1 and then install the 20.2.2 driver manually to try again. IF that still doesn't work after a DDU wipe, I will try the Pro drivers.

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

Jump to solution

Just read through all your posts about Radeon Boost. That really is interesting and am glad that you were able to learn something new through all of this.

By the way, why the intense CrossFire setup you got there?

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

RE: Have you used something like a Kill-a-Watt to measure the difference in power/money savings when using Chill?
Yes. I have APC UPS with a built in Wattmeter and Power Moinitoring Software like this:

But my main reason for using Chill with Chill_Min = 30, Chill_Max = 300, FRTC = 59, FreeSync on is it allows me to run games at 4K 60FPS Ultra on an RX Vega 64 Liquid on BFV. Most 4K monitors are limited to 60Hz anyhow. Mine has a FreeSync Range of 40-60 at 4K. It is one of these: https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/entertainment/ew3270u.html 

First I overclock the GPU so I can hit 60FPS when stationary with a "cold" GPU at the start of the game.

Allowing Chill to tank the FPS to 30 FPS in situations in BFV where hiding like sniping or in a trench cools the GPU temps down. Leaving the high performance (well up to 55 FPS with keyboard only input and limited to 59 if I waggle the mouse to much) when I need to move / run. I set up Alt+W chill hotkey so I can quickly turn Chill on or off. Really AMD should allow user to tweak Chill parameters so user can change Keyboard only input FPS and move it from 55 -> 60. 

I will point you to a video about using Chill this way later.

My FreeSync experience or GSync Compatible experience (I run RTX 2080 OC as well) on the EW3270U Entertainment Monitor with Eye-care Technology | BenQ  is great. That monitor is one of the best I have owned.

Enhanced Sync with Chill is guaranteed to cause a game freeze and crash on BF1/BFV though.

RE: Again, thank you so much. 

No problem, thanks to you I investigated the situation with missing Boost option on mixe Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI + Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 drivers.
It is good to work with people like you on this Forum who try things out and give feedback like you did. 

FYI Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2. GUI/UI  does show the correct Boost Control Options GPUs without me having to disable the R9 390X. I installed it again just to double check I was not mistaken. So mixing the Adrenalin 2019 GUI/UI with Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 drivers does have a few drawbacks.

Bye for now.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Blender MultiGPU rendering.

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

Jump to solution

Gotcha, thank you for the extra information and links on those monitors. You seem to have an awesome setup! By the way I've finally done a few more hours of gaming on CoD: Warzone and BF4 and everything was VERY smooth, no crashes. Still doing the 19.12.1 GUI/UI mixed with the 20.2.2 driver (dirty install) since I didn't use DDU and just went straight to manually installing the 2020 driver. 

Warzone did have a DirectX crash the other night, I don't know why. But then I played it again using the OC Mode for my Ryzen 5 3600 on Ryzen Master and played it for a longer time frame and it didn't crash again so maybe it was just random. Other than that, still smooth gameplay with no hiccups. 

I still need to try BFV on this new driver setup.

I noticed last night too that a new 20.3.1 Optional driver was released but it still has things like "Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround" under "Known Issues" so obviously I'm not even bothering with it. 

It was released mainly to add more support for Doom Eternal and increase its performance as well as added four new Vulkan extensions. I'm not going to bother with it. Wondering what your thoughts about it are.

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

Jump to solution

Gotcha that's dope! Do you make your own games or is 3D modeling your career?

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

Jump to solution

pastedImage_1.png

Alright colesdav, I am STILL using the above method with each of the latest drivers. I just installed 20.4.1 in Device Manager. Still haven't used DDU since I first installed the 20.2.2, I then updated it to 20.3.1 and now the latest one again. Still stable haha.

pastedImage_2.png

Just thought I'd give you an update.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Thanks I am glad it is working for you.

I simply cannot stand using that Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI Interface.
It is one of the worst user interfaces I have seen in a long time from ergonomics point of view.
Lots of the GUI is broken.
Game Advisor is nonsense.

There is one good thing about it though. It can be used to launch XBOX Game Pass games now.

I still think Adrenalinm 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI is a really good design.
Cannot understand why AMD went into reverse gear with this one.

goosethesecond
Adept III

Jump to solution

I will say though, the ONLY thing that has been happening to me ever since 19.12.1, 20.2.2, 20.3.1, and now 20.4.1 is that my main monitor randomly blacks out. Usually happens once a day if not every couple days. 

In the past, I would disconnect and reconnect the cable from the video card but then I found out all I have to do is turn the monitor off and back on. Also, it's connected using DisplayPort. I don't know if it's the cable, it's a pretty thick one, bought it off Amazon (had the highest reviews) not a name brand one either. I'm an A/V guy so perhaps you could say I could have been more picky about it so I might try a "name brand" cable sometime to see if that's the issue.

My secondary monitor connected with HDMI never blacks out. Just some more points to add to our AMD Driver Issue Detective Case Files. We should get a documentary on Netflix... geez.

Edit: One more thing, this has never happened during gaming. Only while in Windows.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Thank you.
Please file an AMD Reporting form if you have the time and any will to live with AMD GPUs left...

0 Likes