Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

goosethesecond
Adept III

Re: 19.12.1 is still the most stable...

Jump to solution

Oh wow that is very interesting. Thank you for the very clear explanation. Have you used something like a Kill-a-Watt to measure the difference in power/money savings when using Chill?

It sounds like I may definitely just be burning power haha, but am of course getting the most performance possible.

Also, even though I have a FreeSync monitor, I actually turned it off under my monitor's OSD menu. I found that games like BF4 produced a very subtle flicker on the screen with it enabled (more like a color filter that very quickly came on and off, not the edges of things/straight lines flickering) and usually only noticeable in the game's menu and not during gameplay. However, just KNOWING it was happening screws with my OCD. I also found it caused some weird framerate stability in BF5 versus having it off and just using Enhanced Sync, perhaps this was the previous 19.20.xxx driver so I am going to perhaps give FreeSync another go with the new 19.50.xxx driver now installed. I have an AOC C24G1 by the way.

I downloaded CoD: MW Warzone earlier and went through the training mission. It was about 15 minutes of gameplay and it was BUTTER smooth, no signs of stutter anywhere. Not to mention the game is ABSOLUTELY maxed out in the graphics settings and the framerate never dropped below 144. Obviously Infinity Ward are gods at optimization, I was very impressed.

The real test will be BF4 and BF5 which I'll try this week. In the recent past when I installed the entirety of the new 2020 drivers, BF5 was the game that would ALWAYS crash within 5 minutes or less. BF4 would also crash after about 10 minutes of gameplay. I'll report back on that soon. 

Again, thank you so much. I was curious to try the Pro drivers but if this continues to be smooth, I'll just keep going with this method. 

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you run DDU in safe mode and disconnected from the internet to remove the previous installs brgptr you installed teh Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI?
As far as I know, Boost was introduced in Adrenalin 2020.
So the Boost option should not be there in the Adrenalin 2019 GUI before you attempted to update drivers to Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2.
Alternatively I do have a range of AMD GPUs installed...
pastedImage_1.png

I do not see a slider to control Radeon Image Sharpening either - not that it seems to do much in Adrenalin 2020:
pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

OK It looks like Radeon Boost is only supported for Polaris or newer GPUs.
I will disable or remove the R9 390X and Radeon Pro Duo, update the drivers, and see if I get the Boost Button back.

Thanks.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I removed the R9 380X from the system and turned the second RX Vega 64 Liquid and the Sapphire Radeon Pro Duo off.

I now see this in the Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI with the Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2. drivers installed:

pastedImage_1.png
Checking a game I know is "supported by Radeon Boost I see this:
pastedImage_2.png

That is really wierd because I see the Boost Option if I install Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 even if I have the R9 390X and the Radeon Pro Duo and the RX Vega Liquid installed.

Thanks.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I forgot to mention - I didn't update the already installed Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2. drivers. Just disconnecting the R9 390X gets the button back.
I will now see what happens when I power down. Turn on the Power Supply for the Radeon Pro DUO (It is connected via an M.2 ADT-Link PCIe adapter), and boot he PC Up. Since teh Radeon Pro Duo is a watercooled dual Fiji Based GPU (aka R9 FuryX, Fury, Nano older than Polaris). I would expect boost for that card at least to be disabled.  

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

With Radeon Pro Duo (Fiji) powered on (2 R9 Nano on one watercooled PCB)

I see this:
pastedImage_2.png

And this:

pastedImage_3.png
OK ...

Interesting.

Lets see what happens if I now power down,  power up the secondary RX Vega 64 liquid and reboot...

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

All GPUs now connected apart from the R9 390X:

pastedImage_1.png

And:

pastedImage_2.png
So it must be that R9 390X.

Powering down and connecting it back onto the PC and rebooting...

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

When I reconnect the R9 390X I loose the Radeon Boost buttons on the Gloal and Profile menus.
I see nothing about Radeon Boost support for Radeon Pro Duo (Fiji) in Release notes since Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

If I simply disable the R9 390X in Device manager and reboot the PC I see the following:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks for giving your feedback about Radeon Boost I will take a look and see if the Boost Hotkey works and if it actually works on the games I have noted above.

Point to note is some games that AMD claims support Boost do not show Boost Controls (Destiny 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, GTAV, for example, whereas other games I have not seen mentioned like Apex Legends do

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I tried Radeon Boost on Rise of the Tome Raider with the above setup - definitely working.
I tried Fortnite - which has the slider for Radeon Bosst as seen above - Alt+K does nothing - I hear no activation beeps for Radeon Boost.