Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

darknothing
Adept II

19.11.1 red dead 2 PC snow/ground glitch

snow is glitched out on red dead 2 pc

it is a driver issue, reported buy a few fellow 5700 xt owners.2019.11.05-19.02_01.png2019.11.05-19.02.png2019.11.05-18.59.png2019.11.05-18.56.png

1 Solution
snailking
Adept I

New driver available! https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-4 

Fixed Issues

• Red Dead Redemption 2™ may experience square or blocky textures on some terrain during gameplay when using Vulkan® API.

EDIT: I installed it and IT'S FIXED! FINALLY!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
42 Replies
darknothing
Adept II

2019.11.05-19.02_01.png

0 Likes
kitcatski
Journeyman III

Can confirm this is happening to me as well, 5700 xt

gasomilo
Journeyman III

Same problem...i have also a 5700 xt (installed driver: 19.11.1)

gasomilo
Journeyman III

rolled back to driver nr. 19.9.2

game seems to run fine now

0 Likes

the problem also affects nVidia users

the developer has acknowledged the problem and a fix is pending

do you have conformation?\. I googled the hell out of this issue, i cannot find anything, a link from the devs?

0 Likes

the developer is working on a patch and they are likely to have a couple before its stable

I have a ton of developers on twitter so I find out fast about game news

darknothing
Adept II

ITS STILL NOT FIXED.2019.11.27-17.01.png

maybe you should post that on twitter @ the developer

0 Likes

i don't use twitter.

0 Likes

darknothing wrote:

i don't use twitter.

twitter is free to use

0 Likes

Developers must read their own forum

0 Likes

shmultzer wrote:

Developers must read their own forum

Rockstar should surface with some more fixes but AMD drivers are still not working perfectly

0 Likes
kevador
Journeyman III

Still hasn't been fixed as of writing this.
C'mon AMD and RockStar, fix this!

gekonpc
Adept I

as of 11.12.2019 with the radeon software version 19.12.2
STILL NOT FIXED
better yet.. introduced another glitch when running on foot on mud now makes small bumps

0 Likes

Yeah Rockstar told me to "re-install windows, and see if it helps"............even though I just did 2 weeks ago!...............I'll just use DirectX for now thank you.

0 Likes

I don't have the game. But the problem may be with Rockstar. Maybe a patch for the game will improve the situation. It will be more accurate to use DX12.

0 Likes

mstfbsrn980 wrote:

I don't have the game. But the problem may be with Rockstar. Maybe a patch for the game will improve the situation. It will be more accurate to use DX12.

Any DX12 game I own I use it to see how well it works

0 Likes
jl5086
Elite

In RDR2, With my RX5700 XT I get that same glitch if I use Vulkan, but it's fine with DX12,  So I am really just avoiding Vulkan, unfortunately,  since with my RX5700 XT 90% of of the time, any game that uses Vulkan displays at 30hz.  It doesn't matter if the game lets you choose the refresh rate, or what resolution, it makes no difference (it does it on every monitor/cable/driver combo I've tried).  Sometimes if I restart the computer and load whichever game, it sometimes may work.  Other times I will try, and it's at 30hz,  and doesn't even reset to 60hz when I get back to windows, so I have to either restart or go into win settings and set the refresh back to 60.    If I swap in my RX580  I get no such issue,  so for now I just use DirectX if available, because 30hz is unplayable, and craters in the ground is unacceptable also.  Besides that I don't yet see any improvements in performance anyway.  It is unfortunate though that more and more games (mostly ones endorsed by AMD) are being made Vulkan only,  that sucks.

0 Likes

Informing to AMD of any issues you experience will shorten the software solutions to your problems.
https://www.amd.com/tr/support/contact-email-form 
There is probably a problem with AMD Vulkan driver. Let them know your driver (image sharpening or enhanced sync or vsr) settings and problems.

0 Likes

I have done this already, I use none of the "extra" features,  regular scaling, like I said, any resolution, fps cap on/off, v-sync on/off, etc.   makes no difference.   AMD tells me to re-install windows (basically that means they are out of answers),  btw,  I did anyway, now I have a squeaky clean computer with the same issue,  but it was fun.

0 Likes

Use CRU software. Remove unnecessary resolution and hertz values with this software and enable VSR. You can solve 30 hertz problems, I think... Good luck...

0 Likes

Thank you, that CRU will be extremely helpful I think!  I really don't understand what benefit VSR could give,  I have a 4k display, so what benefit would I be getting from having VSR enabled?   I thought it was just basically the reverse of upscaling (i.e. downscaling)   unless I am not understanding what it does.

0 Likes

VSR sometimes works better. Do not use VSR if it is useless. 

0 Likes

Have you actually had any luck with the CRU program?   It doesn't seem to do anything,  I removed ALL entries that were below 60hz for my display, and it still switches to 30hz when game starts, and if I task manager out it leaves windows in 4k 30hz, until I go into win display and set it back.  This is sooooo frustrating, maybe i'm not using this app right.

0 Likes

I use a 144 hertz monitor, and some games run with 60 hertz when I don't use CRU. My CRU settings are here...
Annotation 2019-12-13 000408.jpg
The program can adjust the TV and monitor hertz.

0 Likes

Thanks.  Maybe I just have to figure out how to use it better,  and maybe a restart is required after using the CRU app.   Time will tell, since usually right after a fresh restart the 30hz problem will not be present anyway.  But I will be glad if I don't have to keep restarting every time I want to load a game!

0 Likes

For CRU changes, you must run the restart program.

0 Likes
redfoottttt
Journeyman III

Yes I have this problem too .

0 Likes
dnak
Journeyman III

I will concur, this is a nasty graphical issue with deformable surfaces like snow and mud.

0 Likes
eddvdm
Adept I

I'm having this as well, since November 5th with all drivers since 19.11.1. (If you want more details here and here).

Anyways, 19.12.2 didn't fix it. A suggestion I want to give people, and also to know if it works for you too, is to try to set the deepsurfaceQuality setting to Ultra by editing your \Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml file (the only way, since ingame settings don't have it):

(should be around line 73, just change whatever value inside the tag to this one:)
<deepsurfaceQuality>kSettingLevel_Ultra</deepsurfaceQuality>

Of everything I've tried so far, this was the only thing changing  anything on that. It does not fix it 100%, but I've seen the glitch less frequently, and when it happens is less terrifying. (Also, this setting will also help on view distance for things like wagon trails, etc). I did not see any hard performance hit with that, also. (Originally  it was set to High)

If you try it please let me know if anything  about it changed for you - maybe it's the path for AMD finding a fix  for us.

0 Likes
aramboon
Journeyman III

From my experiment, I can confirm that this issue has something to do with Anisotropic Setting in the game. When I change this setting, the glitch disappears from the area on the screen. However, it appears again in another area and I have to repeat the process in order to get rid of it.

0 Likes

Actually this also happens if you change any of the Water "Advanced" settings (reflection, refraction, physics) as well - at least in here and some other people reported that too. But good to know Ani is doing the same, more information to investigate.

0 Likes
shmultzer
Adept I

Still not fixed! If this isn't fixed in next driver version - that will be the first and the last time I bought AMD Radeon graphic card.

0 Likes
fixnowfixnow
Journeyman III

Issue confirmed

Still not fixed!

franz444
Journeyman III

Switching to directX 12 solved my problems.

0 Likes

use DX12, Vulkan is borked for Red Dead

0 Likes

DX12 produces other visual bugs (lots of colored bright lights at the bottom of the screen when entering water or sometimes a "filmstrip" band on the bottom of the screen everywhere else).

Untitled.png

0 Likes

I have not noticed problems on the few DX12 games I have tried lately.

When I do find glitches I post them on my site depending on the source of the problems

0 Likes