My current setup:

ItemType
CPUAMD FX 6300
MotherboardGigabyte GA-970A-D3 rev.3.0
GPUSapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB
RAMTranscend 2x4GB 1333MHz
OSWindows 10 Home Ver 1803 64-bit
GPU drivers before updating18.7.1

This morning I received a notification from the Radeon software that a new version of my drivers is available and so I clicked at Express Install.

While the driver was being installed I was watching some random Youtube videos, 3 times during the installation the computer froze for less than 5 seconds which seemed weird but didn't worry me that much, so I let it finish normally.

But when the installation finished my screen turned FULL pink!

I reset and when Windows fully loaded after about 10-20 seconds my screen turned to pink again, or some other color not sure.

I thought a clean installation was the way to go and so:

• Downloaded and installed DDU,
  • Boot in safe mode and uninstall current drivers,
  • I installed 18.5.1 cause it was indicated as a stable release.

But even with the 18.5.1 the same thing happened, after 10-20 seconds the screen turned black or any other color. (Also tried clean installing 18.7.1 and 18.8.1 again).

The card's warranty was active so I went to the store I bought it from and they told me that they'll contact Sapphire about a replacement cause from what I explained to them the card must have died.

What frightens me now is that a simple driver update could kill my GPU ...

What're your thoughts on my situation?

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE as of August 13th

Got a call from the vendor that the card was back and just fine and that the problem must be somewhere else.

On my way home stopped by a friends house just to check the card on his PC, with the usual safe mode / no internet / DDU procedure, installed drivers and it worked just fine. So I was 100% sure that the card was fine, but my PC had some personal issue with the card.

When I returned home:

• first thing I check was running the card with only the 2x6-pin power connectors instead of a 6-pin and an 8-pin, still not working.
  • changed the whole PSU with another one I had, still not working.

So the only thing left to check was the Windows installation and so i began the formatting process and since then it works like a charm.

In the end, the problem was lying with the Windows, what I can assume is that during the driver installation where I was messing around (watching videos etc), something must have screwed up and like blacklisted my RX580.

The really weird thing with my issue so far is that this behaviour was only seen with my RX580, because in one of my tries when the RX580 blacked out I immediately replaced with my HD 7790 WITHOUT clean installing drivers or anything and it worked just fine, and this was the reason I didn't believe it was a Windows issue.

I want to thank everyone in this forum for your posts and assistance, I am really grateful for your response.

Issue resolved.

1 Solution
theacclaimed
Miniboss

You shouldn't be running any application that uses the GPU for rendering such as watching videos while doing a driver update. The card is fine. You probably have something messed up in the Windows registry and have to roll back windows to the time before the driver was installed.

The installer even says to make sure to close any other running applications before attempting the update.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
24 Replies