cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

milan78
Adept I

Re: 18.5.1/18.5.2/18.6.1/18.7.1 GPU Scaling not working

After few exchanged emails with AMD support they told me to wait for next driver release. They are aware of the problem and will probably fix it.

I don't like VSR too much cause it makes things look smaller. I prefer Supersampling instead. The performance impact is same for both and SS looks better for me. I use SS for older games cause in new ones the FPS drop is too big.

alexvas
Adept II

Hello. Try using ATI GPU Scaling Fix from this topic GPU Scaling stopped working properly and follow instructions.

0 Likes
whatislove
Adept I

Thank you, unfortunately in the meantime I've got rid of my RX 480, however my brother recently upgraded to RX 590. If he ever encounters similiar issue I'll definitely give this utility a go.

0 Likes
dannydogg
Adept I

Hello, just created this account to say, i just bought a RX 5700 XT, this is my first AMD GPU, it's nearly 2020 and the problem still persists.

4K Scaling Bug.jpg

Changing resolutions with VSR activated to 2560 X 1440 or 3840 X 2160 just shows the upper corner of the screen resolution and it won't scale itself properly to the screen.

Spended hours trying every single solution i could find, when i saw alexvas ATI GPU Scaling Fix i thought it would be the solution, but still nothing.

I was gonna give up until i ended changing resolution, accepted, pushed the power button and when windows started up it was finally in that resolution on the desktop, trying to force down the power won't work though, gotta wait for it to switch off, then i tried a quick game of GTA San Andreas in 4K resolution with mods and it worked.

4K After Reboot.jpg

So i guess for the time being, if i wanna try a game in 2K or 4K that won't scale up properly, i'll have to switch off the pc everytime or just keep using desktop mode in 4K.

I'm soon gonna reinstall windows since it's been years and changed a couple of harware recently, so i hope this problem doesn't pop up with a fresh install, i'll let you know when i have the time for this since got i multiple pc's to refresh.

Forgot to add that i have the latest AMD Drivers 19.9.2

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Usually when this happens it's because some residual key in the Windows Registry is corrupt or wont delete or be replaced with the new driver information. If you don't want to mess with this old utility and I would not want to, I would suggest your run DDU from wagnardsoft_com from safe mode. Then run the registry cleaner in CCleaner from ccleaner_com. This should completely get any bad entries out of the way before reinstalling the driver. Now install the AMD driver with the internet disabled and see if you have better luck. I also noticed you have GPU scaling on. I would let your monitor do the scaling, most the time it is better to do that and lower latency. I use GPU scaling off and full panel, never an issue. 

If none of this helps I would definitely contact AMD support with this issue: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes
dannydogg
Adept I

Thank you for your time, tried everything you suggested but still the same problem, maybe there's too much corruption in my pc for it to be fixed, when i'll have time to back up everything and reinstall windows, i'll see if the problem still persists and if it does i'll contact support

drallim
Elite

I have the same issue with my 5700. After much trial and error I discovered that GPU scaling has numerous issues, including the fact that it CANNOT BE TURNED OFF! You can move the toggle to the off position but it is still on whether you want it or not.

The main problem is that the scaling is not applied (it's still on, it just doesn't work) if you switch resolutions without also switching refresh rates at the same time. Seems like the drivers don't properly reset something in this situation, so you get the image unscaled in the top left of the screen.

To get GPU scaling (which includes proper downscaling of VSR) to apply properly, I have to create a situation where switching resolutions to the one I want scaled also changes the refresh rate.

For example to get VSR working on my 144Hz monitor, I set my desktop to 60Hz. Then when I run the game it switches to 144hz and the scaling is applied properly. The same applies to using GPU scaling to enlarge or center a smaller resolution, if the refresh rate doesn't change, it won't be scaled.

drallim
Elite

I forgot to mention, the other thing that caught me out a number of times. At least on my machine, toggling VSR on/off reset my refresh rate to 60Hz every time, so just be aware that toggling it might change your refresh rate. And you can't use supersampling AA instead because it's totally non-functional at the moment.

It's quite embarrassing how shoddy these 5700 drivers are right now. They're a minefield of blue screens and non-functioning features.

The IGP on my 2400G by contrast works far far better, almost everything works.

pokester
MVP

If you have a spare hard drive, you could install a fresh copy of WIndows to it without disturbing yours and then if all is well you know where the issue is. 

dannydogg
Adept I

Problems are even worst now, was playing Battlefield 4, then suddenly it crashed to a black screen, restarted to activate my iGPU, used Display Driver Uninstaller, tried installing the drivers, the GPU ain't even detected anymore, i've even seen hundreds of people on forums having these black screens with fresh installations of W10 and a 5700, if i can't find a solution i'll phone my shop and see if they can't replace it for a RTX, it's a shame because i was excited by it's performances.

Screen-2019-09-21_00-27-23.jpg

UPDATE : Managed to get it going and installing the drivers back by reseating the GPU. Think i might give AMD a chance until the next drivers come out.