cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

netquik
Adept II

18.12.2 and 18.12.3 Problems. Reverting to older drivers

After installing 18.12.2 and 18.12.3 driver for a AMD radeon 7800 series card I start having big issues.

- Wattman settings restored message (note ii do not modify any setting in overdrive)

- Graphics Hardware access blocked for application

- PC freezes

- amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered

I revert to 18.12.1.1 beta

things seem to go better but still receiving

- amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered

in event viewer.

I will try to go back to 18.9.3 to test.

6 Replies
sjonnie
Journeyman III

I have a MSI R9 270X card and have never had problems with it after a driver update until 18.12.2 came out
It was terrible, BSODs, random crashes and frozen PC
I first looked at the sound card driver and broken memory but after testing and reinstallation of windows the problem remained

Have now run 18.12.1 and that is good

0 Likes

Hi sjonnie.

With 18.12.1

can yuo verify if you get "amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" error message in event viewer?

cause even if i have no visible problem with that driver i still get this error in windows system log.

Thanks

No, dont get those messages anymore

But 18.12.1 still crashes (not often) especially when I'm on YouTube for a long time Crash with a bsod and

I can see later that it was related to the driver of the video card

0 Likes

Sjonnie as i posted down here as update... i strongly suggest you to revert to last stable release 18.9.3.

So far i got no problems at all.

contax
Journeyman III

Not exactly the same
I get the message "new driver" If I then installed the 18.12.2 comes the same message again and I should install the 18.12.3. And so it always goes back and forth. 18.12.2 - 18.12.3 - 18.12.02-18.12.3

contax001@web.de

Nicht genau das Gleiche

Ich bekomme die Anzeige " neuer Treiber "  Wenn ich dann den 18.12.2 installiert habe kommt die gleiche Meldung wieder und ich soll den 18.12.3 installieren. Und so geht das immer hin und her. 18.12.2 - 18.12.3 - 18.12.02-18.12.3

0 Likes
netquik
Adept II

UPDATE

I did a clean install (uninstall and DDU from safe mode)  of 18.9.3 driver.

Since now no error in system event log with same applications and games running.

So i suspect that there is a major glitch in new drivers 18.12.x at least with radeon HD 7800 series cards.

I will keep testing and won't update till next stable release (hope fixes will be mentioned in release notes)